Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I swear DPR is getting kickbacks from the big 2 to make Pentax and other brands look bad...

11-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For most clueless Canikon beginners (even some self-claimed advance users), they consider DPR as gospel... that is why Pentax is smart not to educate those who are clueless.... let them have their inferior equipment.
11-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some time ago (I cannot remember if it was after the K20 or the K7 DPR review), people on that site also complained about the FA50 usage. One of the editors did respond that they had also tested the D-FA50 macro and its results were not any better, hence they used the FA50. Not that I am vouching for that claim though....

Also, with these higher-megapixel sensors, f9 is already encroaching on the diffraction limits. I think the reason they use that aperture generally (although IIRC they used f8 for the 60D) is that, as you can see, they are not very good about getting the exact right focus, and this gives them more margin for error.
11-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #34
Pentaxian

On the other hand it seems to me as if they are feeding Pentax twice the amount of light that they are giving to Nikon. f9, iso3200 and 1/400 seconds of light to Pentax but only 1/800 seconds of light to Nikon. Effectively Nikon could be shooting at iso 1600 and get the same shutter speed as we have at iso3200, and then clearly winning the game.

Whats up with that?

Will we (Pentax users) always have to shoot at a higher iso then Nikon to get comparable shutter speeds?

11-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
On the other hand it seems to me as if they are feeding Pentax twice the amount of light that they are giving to Nikon. f9, iso3200 and 1/400 seconds of light to Pentax but only 1/800 seconds of light to Nikon. Effectively Nikon could be shooting at iso 1600 and get the same shutter speed as we have at iso3200, and then clearly winning the game.

Whats up with that?

Will we (Pentax users) always have to shoot at a higher iso then Nikon to get comparable shutter speeds?
No, Pentax's photos here are over exposed and brought back. No reason to do that. Dxo has tested Pentax's iso and found that it is more accurate than the D7000's. If you shoot manually with the same settings, between the D7000 and K5, I bet you can't tell the difference with regard to the exposure. In fact, you will be more likely to blow highlights and make the photo look worse if you do what DPR did here to the K5.
11-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
No, Pentax's photos here are over exposed and brought back. No reason to do that.
In that case we should have a clear noise advantage, but we don't. Not in my opinion.
11-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the K5 does have less noise than the D7000 when you look at the RAW files. However, I am not clear how much is due to noise reduction in the camera and how much is due to over exposing and pulling back. Particularly on the red bottle cap and the queen of hearts I think the K5 has a lot less noise.

11-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #38

I have no valid idea about the DPR's bias in testing or what goes on behind the scenes there. All I know is that I've seen my share of posts from K5 owners who say it is everything they hoped for, and that the output is excellent. But if I were judging from these samples I'd never choose it. It looks like a $500 kit compared to $2,000 kits. Some of the test pictures make it look like it's not even in the same league as the D7000 or 60D, which is simply not what the owners are telling me.
11-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #39
Banned

During the Photokina DPR has changed its dark grey background to sport red Canon's 60D advertisement. I can't recall they have ever done such thing before for some other camera brand.

Now they're comparing that camera openly (on the home page) with other cameras (say K-5) that frankly, are not in the same level of the "mid-level" league. They're either pushing 60D's value up, or lowering K-5's value a bit down. A more relevant comparison would be, perhaps, K-r and 60D, and then 7D and K-5.

Today's "mid-level" league is totally open to interpretation and is becoming increasingly difficult to discern what's what there. Canon and Nikon play that game well, Nikon with D7000 and Canon with 60D. But plastic mid-range K-r wasn't mentioned on the home page to be compared with the plastic "mid-range" and "below 7D machine" — 60D.

At least it would good if DPR was thinking about this and tried to further stratify the range. But, of course, certain perceptions are easier to impose when everything is blurred. In fact what they're comparing are sensors, and the rest of the equation is tailored to further dodge the real value of the package compared. Canon did install their 7D sensor into the 60D and scaled down everything. Nikon did install a brand new sensor into D7000 and made it out of scaled down D300s.

Pentax did the opposite with K-5: every single aspect of that camera has been improved from its predecessor. Yet "people want" to compare them because the true perspective is already been lost — little freaks believe Canon's worst must be better than Pentax's best because of the high megapixel sensor and big brass band approach. When the D400 or 8D come out, a K-5 from Pentax has already been declassed or "evened-out" in comparison with their inferiors. One competitor less for the two big guns. And then they can hike the price for those two as they please!

However ,thank God for the DXO numbers. I never thought I'm gonna say that, but at least we have another website that says the story from a different angle and says some perceptions we're fed with on DPR and by some manufacturers are not what they really are.

This is the manufacture of certain perception in one brand's favour for the sake of "democratic science" of pixel-peeping and our "right to know the truth" where there's very little of it. That review has already started with the red 60D Photokina ad and they are not doing the right thing with it.

I'm, quite frankly, enough of DPRs "reviews". They're just plain, boring garbage. The whole of the test of some camera revolves around one 'measured' test image and DPR's ability to hit the focus or choose the right aperture. And people stare at it like hypnotised pigeons and trying to figure out something and understand why other websites rave about certain cameras, or why thousands of real-life photographs tell the story they don't want to hear. They all believe that single image will tell them "the truth".

Kissing your big sponsors in their big bum using word play I find disgraceful, and it ultimately hurts the thing you apparently stand for: photography. But we all know it's not photography anymore. It is art of colourful and focused on bum kissing and saying yes to whatever money says. Such an upsetting attitude drives this whole world down the tube because we give credit to where it's not earned, and miss out amazing things that aren't endorsed.

Last edited by Uluru; 11-14-2010 at 04:18 AM.
11-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
...people stare at it like hypnotised pigeons and trying to figure out something and understand why other websites rave about certain cameras, or why thousands of real-life photographs tell the story they don't want to hear. They all believe that single image will tell them "the truth".
You said a mouthful.

Even before the "reviews" come out, there has been enough pixel-peeping, stat-checking and raw-photo manipulating for most people to be able to make a decision.

I would be shocked if any of the "official camera reviews" from various respected sources have anything new to say compared to what Falk and the others have researched and published already. Anything else is hierarchical conjecture. Kind of funny that the reviews almost seem to be over before they begin. It's like getting war news directly from the front lines while the newspapers are still editing and lubing the presses.

Not that I am speaking from on high. I am still flip-flopping between two models. Point is, I probably know all that I need to know stats-wise, so it comes down to actually handling the hardware.
11-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Forget dpr, wait for imaging resource's test, they are far more objective and do a print quality comparison which is the real deal vs pixel peeping!
11-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Forget dpr, wait for imaging resource's test, they are far more objective and do a print quality comparison which is the real deal vs pixel peeping!
Btw imaging-resource has a sample page up for the K-5 now, but so far only with "real photos", not the standard test shots:
Pentax K-5 Digital Camera Thumbnails - Preview - The Imaging Resource!
11-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #43
Raylon

I may agree with DPR making CaNikon looking slightly better than other brands, but we have to think who owns DPR. Amazon is the owner of DPR, and for all they care, any camera that reviews well is going to sell better. So from that standpoint, wouldn't it be even better to promote the K-5 instead of bash it? Certainly amazon gets a certain %, and the K-5 is the most expensive, so you think they would get more money out of it.

Or CaNikon is giving them a kickback or the reviewers are biased, other very possible answers.
11-15-2010, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Or CaNikon is giving them a kickback or the reviewers are biased, other very possible answers.
I have a simpler answer that does not involve conspiracy theories: incompetence. TBH it's very difficult to make objective measurements but DPR are centering their reviews mostly on IQ and unfortunately they are not that good at that. DXO certainly gained more credibility, at least to my eyes.
11-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #45
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
DXO certainly gained more credibility, at least to my eyes.
Why did they never have credibility? All they've ever done is take raw sensor performance and post it on some charts, there is nothing to skew. How a person reads those results is totally what makes the data somewhat worthless. Their scores make camera A seem better than camera B in some category, when in real life we know for a fact that that camera B way outperforms camera A in that category.