Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax in Popular Photography's Dec. 2010 issue

In the magazine's "The Best of the Best," a listing of "outstanding products" of 2010, are these: Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro, Pentax 645D, Pentax K-x, Pentax Optio W90.

11-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
D-FA 100mm WR Macro....... Get the picture Pentax and release more lenses like that!
11-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Looks like they wrote it before they got their hands on the K-5?
11-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I feel like Pentax always seems to get there products out just a touch too late. This issue comes out, which will most definitely be a big source of where people look to do their holiday cameras shopping, and the K-5 isn't on it. Where as Canon seems to always have there stuff on the covers of the mags before it's even out. I guess that's what more resources (and more advertising dollars) gets you.

But still, it's awesome to see Pentax getting a fair bit of love from the Pop Photo. The last year or two, all of the mag have been being more friendly to the Pentax brand, and has featuring and praising more products. A good omen...

11-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it has to do with price point? A magazine like this is for enthusiasts who might appreciate the value of the KX over the glory that is the K-5. I mean, for the same price as the K5 BODY, you could buy the KX and a 100 WR macro, which would certainly give you better images than the K-5 and the kit lens.

For 500 dollars, it is my humble opinion that the KX cannot be beat. The K-5 might be king, but I'd bet that the KX will remain one of Pentax's top sellers until they stop producing it.
11-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
For 500 dollars, it is my humble opinion that the KX cannot be beat. The K-5 might be king, but I'd bet that the KX will remain one of Pentax's top sellers until they stop producing it.
Which hopefully they won't do for quite some time. I totally agree. The D40 is still one of Nikon's top seller. The K-x is an unbelievable value, and fits very nicely under the K-r. I know Pentax doesn't have the ability to have too many cameras in production at a time, but I hope they either have a huge stockpile, or that they will continue to produce small runs between the current bodies.

And you're right, despite the awesomeness of the K-5, and even the K-r, it's cameras like the K-x that most people are looking for. And the best way to grow your user base is to bring people in on the ground floor, and then provide them with an upgrade path.
11-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Looks like they wrote it before they got their hands on the K-5?
In the same issue they had a preview of the k5 that was positive, but they said at the end that they will do a review once a production sample was available. They had a picture of the k5 and the18-55wr soaking wet as the picture for it. And I think it was a month or two ago that Pop Photo had the k7 as a best buy for outdoor photography. Definitely more positive stories from them lately...

11-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
In the same issue they had a preview of the k5 that was positive, but they said at the end that they will do a review once a production sample was available. They had a picture of the k5 and the18-55wr soaking wet as the picture for it. And I think it was a month or two ago that Pop Photo had the k7 as a best buy for outdoor photography. Definitely more positive stories from them lately...
Yeah, I just got mine yesterday and read it. I'd love to see Canikons offer their stuff up for a picture like that