Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

K-5 w/18-135mm kit price in US ?

Now that the 18-135 lens is starting to become available, does anyone know what kind of a discount we can expect on the price of the lens (currently $529 by itself) if purchased in a K-5 kit ? If it is the usual $100-150 discount compared to buying the two separately, I would expect the kit to be priced between $1899 and $1999 (ouch!)

I realize that Pentax is trying to move away from being a value-for-money brand (which didn't help them take any market share away from Canon and Nikon) to more of a premium niche brand. Unfortunately the very reason that brought me to Pentax in the first place may drive me back to Nikon. I had a Nikon film SLR and several lenses (which I still have) before I switched to a Pentax DSLR. The value-for-money proposition that Pentax offered was unbeatable - Pentax cameras and lenses were more compact, had better quality and features than anything the big boys offered for the same price. But not any more. As much as I like everything I am hearing about the K-5 and 18-135 I cannot justify paying 30% more than the D7000 w/ 18-105 kit. Pentax may still hold an edge over Nikon in terms of compactness, ergonomics, SR, WR, etc but that is going to be lost on anyone but the most die-hard Pentax fan with a large investment in Pentax lenses. For the rest of us budget-conscious folks, we may be forced to hold our noses and switch back to the very brands we had deserted not too long ago.

Dapeek

11-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd expect $2000. The K-5 isn't a budget SLR- the K-r and K-x are. If you want to save money, go with those, if you want the best, get the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As Adam said, if you want cheaper models, Pentax has those and they're great DSLRs as well. But if you want the flagship, Pentax is obviously changing pricing tactics. Your reasoning is not inherently wrong, but like any of this stuff, you've got to weigh all of the factors and make the decision that's best for you.

I love everything about the K-5--the smaller form factor, the build quality, SR, weather sealing, great AF and high ISO, etc. On top of the fact that I was already invested in the Pentax system and have a bunch of lenses, I was willing to pay a premium for the K-5. And I'll pick up the 18-135mm lens as well, since that's an outstanding weather sealed/resistant kit with the K-5. Best of luck.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 11-20-2010 at 04:49 PM.
11-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I am a new member but I have been lurking here for a while.

I was not looking for a budget DSLR - just that price is an important factor in my purchase decision. I had noticed that in the previous generation of cameras, the K-7 and Nikon D90 sold at a similar price point (give or take $100) and yet the K-7 offered so much more than the D90 (metal body, 100% viewfinder, SR, WR and tons of other advanced features). I was assuming that their original MSRPs were also similar but I was wrong. The K-7 was announced for $300 more and it's price just dropped more. The same might happen with the K-5 eventually.

This time around Nikon increased their MSRP by $200 while adding a lot of features that bring the D7000 more on par with K-5 and Pentax increased their MSRP by $300. The K-5 is undoubtedly better than the K-7 but the changes are more subtle (the sensor is way better but so is the one in the D7000 compared to the D90).

If the K-5 + 18-135 kit drops to around $1700-1800 in a few months I may still get myself one. Just have to wait and see ...

Dapeek

11-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dapeek Quote
If the K-5 + 18-135 kit drops to around $1700-1800 in a few months
That sounds fairly feasible. The K-5 has already been down to $1480, and so seeing it sold for $1400 isn't that far off. The lens will likely be available used for around $400 as well.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the point is that we'd like the K-5 to drop $100 or a bit more (which we've seen signs of), then get an add'l $100 off the lens when bought in a kit. $1,600 plus $530 = $2,130. I'd snap at $1,900 if we could get there by Christmas. It's gift time, the family's together, and my resistance is low.

But if I have to buy them separately at or near list, there isn't much point in going ahead until my outdoor season, perhaps late April. And that gives me time to consider if I want to invest nearly $2K in the Pentax gear or look at other places to invest.

That's Pentax's dilemma - they can get money in hand now or wait and hope that prospective buyers will still be hanging around with both cash in hand and Pentax lust in their hearts in another six months.
11-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
glangois,

You said it perfectly. That is my dilemma too. I have some Nikon lenses already and am lusting for the 16-85 (I wish Pentax had released a similar lens with WR instead of the 18-135). I can get the D7000 and the 16-85 for $1800 at current price levels (this may drop a bit in a month or two). So that is my cut-off. If the K-5 kit with 18-135 falls below that point by the end of the year I may go for it (given that I still prefer the Pentax compactness, ergonomics, WR, etc). Pentax products do have a history of larger price drops than the other brands and so the price for the kit will eventually get below $1800. Just have to wait to see if it happens soon enough for me.

Dapeek

11-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #8

Hi - my first post on the forum )) I used to shoot with nikon d300, d90, canon 40d and 5d. I am on my way to get e pentax, still have to decide which body, though. I am highly impressed by pentax ergonomics and WR!!! So, do you think there will be a k-5 18-135 kit officially available before Christmas? I am not in US, I have a friend there and I can ask her to bring me the kit if it is available BEFORE Chrismtas!
11-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #9

I would also think the price should be around 1800-1850 dollars. 2000 USD is the price if one buys them separately...
11-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by alffastar Quote
2000 USD is the price if one buys them separately...
The kit price is still anyone's guess, but the price if you get them separetely (at msrp) is actually $1595 + $529 = $2124

The high-end kit savings haven't been high, so using that figure, even $2000 sounds generous

Adam

11-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The value-for-money proposition that Pentax offered was unbeatable - Pentax cameras and lenses were more compact, had better quality and features than anything the big boys offered for the same price. But not any more. As much as I like everything I am hearing about the K-5 and 18-135 I cannot justify paying 30% more than the D7000 w/ 18-105 kit.
Pentax is still, by far, the best value-for-money around.

Reason 1 : you have to look beyond the kit lens prices. Higher-end Nikon lenses are extremely expensive.

Reason 2: even then, the Nikon kit you mention is not as advanced as the Pentax, and not weather sealed. You're not comparing cameras with similar specs.
11-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
Banned

The Canon 60D with Canon 18-135mm IS was $1,100 at Newegg a few weeks ago and that is a great deal since it's the best DSLR for HD video.
11-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Gotta love these Pentax vs CaNikon threads... If you look at it from CaNikon perspective, most CaNikon users trashing Pentax never even held one... Sadly, same thing can be said about most Pentax users trashing CaNikon products... Judging how anal everybody are about WR, it seems that the only thing Pentax users do is shutting bugs while taking shower...

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Pentax is still, by far, the best value-for-money around.

Reason 1 : you have to look beyond the kit lens prices. Higher-end Nikon lenses are extremely expensive.

Reason 2: even then, the Nikon kit you mention is not as advanced as the Pentax, and not weather sealed. You're not comparing cameras with similar specs.
Blah-blah-blah... If you look beyond the kit and DA* lenses, good Pentax glass is very expensive as well... that good Pentax glass (FA Limiteds, DA limiteds) isn't Weather Sealed at all... So somebody who's looking into picking up K5+these beautiful Pentax primes (my-self including), will be left sucking big time when when it comes to WR.... So much for spitting WR arguments around... Nikon's newer and more expensive offerings are all sealed b.t.w...

I'm leaving out the DA* line on purpose due to SDM issues, slower AF speed and big chances that the whole line will be over-hauled with newer generation AF motors...

On the other hand, these tempted by the D7000+kit lens... leave out the 18-105VR... It's a great lens optically, but it's very sluggish when it comes to focusing... Save your pennies and get the 16-85VR which is still cheaper than the K5+18-135 kit....

As far as best value for the money goes... Sorry to say that, but the best deal on the market right now is by far the Nikon's D90... With the arrival of it's replacement prices have dropped below the floor, and it's unbelievable how capable and well-balanced (feature-wise) this camera is.

Pentax has a lot to offer, as somebody looking to pick up a K5+primes kit, I have to make a very sober decision regarding what i'll be giving up vs what I'll be gaining... Unfortunately there's much more to give up... and apples vs apples Pentax ends up costing quite a bit more with only advantages offered being smaller size of primes and SR... All this WR crap is useless with very little WR glass... Of course I could get some DA* to be able to take shower with my camera and post cool Pentax videos on youtube... but I tend to use my gear to shoot other things as well....

Last edited by alexeyga; 11-22-2010 at 08:14 AM.
11-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The kit is available to preorder in Canada
$2080 CDN
11-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #15

Thanks for the feedback. I am a new member but I have been lurking here for a while.

I was not looking for a budget DSLR - just that price is an important factor in my purchase decision. I had noticed that in the previous generation of cameras, the K-7 and Nikon D90 sold at a similar price point (give or take $100) and yet the K-7 offered so much more than the D90 (metal body, 100% viewfinder, SR, WR and tons of other advanced features). I was assuming that their original MSRPs were also similar but I was wrong. The K-7 was announced for $300 more and it's price just dropped more. The same might happen with the K-5 eventually.

This time around Nikon increased their MSRP by $200 while adding a lot of features that bring the D7000 more on par with K-5 and Pentax increased their MSRP by $300. The K-5 is undoubtedly better than the K-7 but the changes are more subtle (the sensor is way better but so is the one in the D7000 compared to the D90).

If the K-5 + 18-135 kit drops to around $1700-1800 in a few months I may still get myself one. Just have to wait and see ...

Dapeek
I just picked My K5 18>55mm zoom to my home for $1705.96 and it is worth every dallor. If yor worried about the price save up until you have the $'s and have the best.