Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Want to hear what most people think about this camera? Read the comments section here:

Pentax K-r receives a rainbow paintjob, 35mm prime lens for limited edition kit -- Engadget
99% of people who buy cameras are not people who comment on gadget blogs. This is in an infinitesimally small sample.

12-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #47
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
99% of people who buy cameras are not people who comment on gadget blogs. This is in an infinitesimally small sample.
I wouldn't call if infinitesimally small, that's for sure. Maybe the commenters, but many of the people who view the blog have the same views as the commenters. Just like everyone probably agrees with the commenters on RH's blog that he's an idiot.

A lot of people read engadget. 1.2 million alone are subscribed on google reader, just imagine how many aren't subscribed. That many people saw the article and probably read the comments, and not too many voiced a positive opinion about it.
12-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't call if infinitesimally small, that's for sure. Maybe the commenters, but many of the people who view the blog have the same views as the commenters. Just like everyone probably agrees with the commenters on RH's blog that he's an idiot.

A lot of people read engadget. 1.2 million alone are subscribed on google reader, just imagine how many aren't subscribed. That many people saw the article and probably read the comments, and not too many voiced a positive opinion about it.
I think we can pretty much all agree that it is a silly looking camera. Even the Kore Ja Nai fans have to admit it. But I don't think that really reflects poorly on Pentax overall, and it doesn't really look the commentators think so either.
12-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The K-r is not the first Pentax to receive this treatment:

Pentax Kameraman puppets are perfect for shooting WTF faces

Pentax's limited edition Korejanai K-x DSLR reminds us of Harlequin VW Golf

Pentax rolls its own colorware for the Pentax K-x DSLR

Pentax K-m DSLR gets smothered in Swarovski crystals

If the negative comments on Engadget are a representative sample and these wacky special editions are hurting the brand, then why did they just have one of their best years in recent memory?

12-04-2010, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Japanese seem to live without their panties in a wad...I wish all we could.

Last edited by bogiesbad; 12-04-2010 at 08:55 PM.
12-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(if it's good enough for Marcel Duchamp it should be OK for Robin)H2O
Wow, how did you know? My favourite artist. Well, one of two.

The best thing about the altered Mona Lisa is the title, L.H.O.O.Q. Since I don't want to risk being banned, I'll let people look up the meaning themselves.
12-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
The Japanese seem to live without their panties in a wad...I wish we could.
I am not going there.

Really.

I won't.

12-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Aww I made a bad first impression? Oh darn....Sorry that I responded to him with my own opinion.
Aww I made a bad first impression? Oh darn....Sorry that I responded to him with my own opinion.
Its not your inconsequential opinion to which I object. It's your rudeness. I believe the words were:

"it may be hard for your feeble little mind to comprehend"

Your opinion is fine. As long as you keep it respectful. You didn't. I'll call you on it every time. It's not necessary. Knock it off.

Make that second impression too pal. Man up...

woof!

12-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
not for sale in the US anyway so it's not like they'll walk into a shop and see one.
I would be really shocked to walk into a shop and see a black K-r.
12-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #55
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I think they should release the 645D in this look!

<ducks for cover>
That would be excellent in a studio specializing in children's photography.
12-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Stikk waiting for a K30D but I guess this is what Pentax would rather spend their R&D money on?
12-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Stikk waiting for a K30D but I guess this is what Pentax would rather spend their R&D money on?
Apparently they have done really well with their marketing analysis in Japan etc. based on the success of the various K-x bodies etc. They just released the K-5. I don't think there will be a K30d and if there is in the future, I doubt it will be anything like they discontinued K-d series.
12-04-2010, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #58

Actually 1.2 million subscribed and even 25 times that number unsubscribed is an infinitesimally small number for sure. That would be smaller than 1% of just the US market. Add Canada, Europe, Asia and emerging markets and the engadget audience isn't even a rounding error.

I work in a camera store where we had nine colors of the K-x on display. While I have sold few of the color cameras, the colors are definitely responsible for many of the K-x sales in the store. Whenever someone commented on the camera, whether they were "camera people" or not, I pulled one off the shelf and put it in their hands. If it was night time, I would tell them to go outside and take a photo without a flash and see the result. I would shoot a bit of video of them and show them the result. Consequently Nikon, Canon, Olympus people have purchased the camera just for some unique feature in the camera, and people who were more inclined towards a point and shoot bought it because they were no longer daunted by a DSLR. The colors made the camera so successful that I sold more K-x kits than all the Canon EOS cameras combined since the K-x was released in Sept. of '09.

While my store's audience is as small to engadget as engagdet's audience is to the CE market, I promise you it's a preposterous underestimation of the camera market to say it's well represented by engadgeteers. You want to see what the camera market is like? Go to the Consumer Electronics Show and see the nearly incomprehensible variety of technologies that 100 engadget sites would never have the time and resources to examine. And then think that CES is a puny version of Photokina or any of the many international imaging trade shows. The bottom line is your opinion is perfectly valid. Your opinion representing a concensus opinion is delusional.
12-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I think we can rest assured it didn't take them all night to mix and match some case parts.
12-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Yeah, it took a whole team of optical engineers and the best research scientists in Japan to come up with this. Last I heard it blew the entire Pentax budget for the next decade. So better get used to everything looking like a toy robot!

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!