Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I wouldn't call if infinitesimally small, that's for sure. Maybe the commenters, but many of the people who view the blog have the same views as the commenters. Just like everyone probably agrees with the commenters on RH's blog that he's an idiot.

A lot of people read engadget. 1.2 million alone are subscribed on google reader, just imagine how many aren't subscribed. That many people saw the article and probably read the comments, and not too many voiced a positive opinion about it.
I couldn't give a hairy rat's arse what some person on endgadget with a screen name of ****edNinja or GoldenMonky thinks. Most of those peckerwoods are probably canon people anyway.

sarcasm

12-04-2010, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I think we can pretty much all agree that it is a silly looking camera. Even the Kore Ja Nai fans have to admit it. But I don't think that really reflects poorly on Pentax overall, and it doesn't really look the commentators think so either.

It's actually a very very clever joke, which unfortunately not many seems to get, including all those fanboys on Engadget, so I suppose the joke is on them.

"Kore ja nai Robo" is not a "proper" toy robot, it's a fake imitation robot that superficially resembles the ones from Gundam et al but wrong in every way.

It's the sort of toy robot a clueless mother would buy for a kid, and then the kid would say "No no no you bought the WRONG robot Mum! This is not the one"

That's what "Kore ja nai Robo" means - it doesn't translate to "This is not a robot", it actually translates as "the robot that you would say or describe as 'this is not the one'" :-)

For Pentax to use the design for a camera is actually a very cool concept, and one that would appeal to someone with a dry sense of humour.

Very self referential - essentially Pentax is suggesting that the K-r with the Kore ja nai design is a camera that's not a normal camera, ie. it's not a Canikon. In other words, it's the sort of camera that would evoke a response "But mum, that's not the camera I want!!!"

So essentially Raylon's opinion and the opinions of those Engadget commenters are spot on, but probably not in the way they think.
12-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #63
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
It's actually a very very clever joke, which unfortunately not many seems to get, including all those fanboys on Engadget, so I suppose the joke is on them.

"Kore ja nai Robo" is not a "proper" toy robot, it's a fake imitation robot that superficially resembles the ones from Gundam et al but wrong in every way.

It's the sort of toy robot a clueless mother would buy for a kid, and then the kid would say "No no no you bought the WRONG robot Mum! This is not the one"

That's what "Kore ja nai Robo" means - it doesn't translate to "This is not a robot", it actually translates as "the robot that you would say or describe as 'this is not the one'" :-)

For Pentax to use the design for a camera is actually a very cool concept, and one that would appeal to someone with a dry sense of humour.

Very self referential - essentially Pentax is suggesting that the K-r with the Kore ja nai design is a camera that's not a normal camera, ie. it's not a Canikon. In other words, it's the sort of camera that would evoke a response "But mum, that's not the camera I want!!!"

So essentially Raylon's opinion and the opinions of those Engadget commenters are spot on, but probably not in the way they think.
Haha now that is funny. Pentax really is making a joke of a camera. Thanks for that post that is good to know.

Okay serious question for everyone. If the Kx had not have had all the colors, would it still have been a succesful camera as it was? Basically it boosted Pentax in a huge way, but would it have had that same effect if it had remained a basic black camera? Would it have got the attention it deserved?
12-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

Okay, thanks, now I understand the marketing pictures with the crying kids. Yay cross-culture confusion. That's pretty awesome.

12-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Apparently they have done really well with their marketing analysis in Japan etc. based on the success of the various K-x bodies etc. They just released the K-5. I don't think there will be a K30d and if there is in the future, I doubt it will be anything like they discontinued K-d series.
Well, the smaller camera is well suited to smaller Japanese hands. I want the bigger body.
12-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Okay, thanks, now I understand the marketing pictures with the crying kids. Yay cross-culture confusion. That's pretty awesome.

If you go back and rewatch that video posted on page 2 of this thread, you'll find it's absolutely hilarious.

Starting with the fake "History of robots" segment at the beginning ...

I really cracked up when they started describing the "features" of the robot - made of wood, easily broken parts, face that you have to paint yourself ...

The first kid receiving the robot on his birthday was expecting a Gundam, and threw the robot in disgust when he found out what he received.

The second kid was saying "What IS THIS? I don't need this!!!"

And then the contestants were giggling and expressing surprise that it costs 2940 yen, and making remarks like "It seems to worth more like 500 yen ..." and "Should I classify it as combustible garbage or non-combustible garbage ..." (in Japan, garbage needs to be separated out depending on category)
12-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
John, what is that gizmo on your hot shoe? Some sort of radio flash? BTW love the red.
edit: Never mind, didn't see the link. One question, is it hard to sync the video and the audio?

NaCl(enquiring minds want to know)H2O
I just completed a short video with this setup - albeit with a lavalier mic feeding into the Tascam. The syncing of audio/video was a snap in Final Cut - I just lined up the waveforms and that was that. A clapper at the beginning of each take would have helped I guess.

I won't claim expertise in this though - this is my first shot at it, and I may have accidentally stumbled into a working solution. I imagine if the audio and video do wander away from each other that there a programs to adjust one of the other to the proper frame rate.

12-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit of a thread jack but I don't care

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Wow, how did you know? My favourite artist. Well, one of two.

The best thing about the altered Mona Lisa is the title, L.H.O.O.Q. Since I don't want to risk being banned, I'll let people look up the meaning themselves.
You have to have a certain sense of humor to appreciate some of Duchamps puns.
One of my favorite Duchamp pieces is on permanent display here in NYC at the MoMA, "To Be Looked at (from the Other Side of the Glass) with One Eye, Close To, for Almost an Hour ". It is one of his glass paintings and has a small lens in it. If you follow the directions in the title you realize that the small lens turns everything upside down. It is good fun to look at everyone upside down walking around in the gallery and coming up to the Duchamp piece. But after about an hour it gets boring.

PS Is your other artist Matisse? He had a good sense of humor also.

NaCl(the man was an absolute genius)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 12-05-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: changed the first "everyone" to "everything"
12-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Duchamp is never really off-topic, since he basically created the twentieth century.

The National Gallery in Ottawa used to have a room containing several of his readymades. More than once I spent a good while there watching people come into the room and engage with the work. Funny thing is, only those under about 14 years of age "got" it.

My other favourite artist (if I can only have two) is Max Ernst. When I finally saw "Two Children Are Threatened by A Nightingale" in the flesh, I was so overcome by emotion I had to sit down for 30 minutes.
12-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Robin, next time you are in the US you should make a point to go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and visit the Arensberg collection of Duchamps. AFAIK it is the largest collection in the world, and well worth the visit.

NaCl(and if you've ever seen the movie "Rocky" you will recognise the place)H2O
12-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder how this looks in the hands of a photographer actually taking a picture with it...

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 12-05-2010 at 09:30 PM.
12-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I think they should release the 645D in this look!

<ducks for cover>

AGREED

Well maybe not that look but if the 645D was offered in various colour combo's I most definitely would have bought a coloured one rather than the plain black units on offer.

Hmmm, got me thinking now about a "skin" - I've seen some great skins for helmets and other gear. Wonder how hard it would be to make a red and white latex skin to go on my 645D???????
12-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Robin, next time you are in the US you should make a point to go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and visit the Arensberg collection of Duchamps.
Oh yes I have always wanted to go there. Never made it to Philadelphia and am unlikely to in this lifetime. Still, you never know.
12-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #74
Forum Member

looks like a childs toy in a way, and might be fine to carry in Japan, but might get scoffed at in U.S. carrying that
12-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Lover Quote
looks like a childs toy in a way, and might be fine to carry in Japan, but might get scoffed at in U.S. carrying that
Some times getting scoffed at isn't a bad thing, I regularly get scoffed at shooting events beside kids with big canikon rigs the spent a fortune on yet for some reason still can't get the shot. I like being the odd guy out sometimes. I'd carry this if it came in a k5 version i think just to be the outsider (for getting involved with my subject i can see it being a great icebreaker backstage)