Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
It's actually a very very clever joke, which unfortunately not many seems to get, including all those fanboys on Engadget, so I suppose the joke is on them.

"Kore ja nai Robo" is not a "proper" toy robot, it's a fake imitation robot that superficially resembles the ones from Gundam et al but wrong in every way.

It's the sort of toy robot a clueless mother would buy for a kid, and then the kid would say "No no no you bought the WRONG robot Mum! This is not the one"

That's what "Kore ja nai Robo" means - it doesn't translate to "This is not a robot", it actually translates as "the robot that you would say or describe as 'this is not the one'" :-)

For Pentax to use the design for a camera is actually a very cool concept, and one that would appeal to someone with a dry sense of humour.

Very self referential - essentially Pentax is suggesting that the K-r with the Kore ja nai design is a camera that's not a normal camera, ie. it's not a Canikon. In other words, it's the sort of camera that would evoke a response "But mum, that's not the camera I want!!!"

So essentially Raylon's opinion and the opinions of those Engadget commenters are spot on, but probably not in the way they think.
You got it, Christine. That's exactly how things work, here, and the Pentax marketing guys are distancing themselves enormously from the rest of the pack with thinking like this. Almost as if they're trying to make a name with young buyers for some reason....

Passing through Shinagawa station on Friday night I found several large TV screens with repeating Pentax ads with the rainbow of K-r colours. In English, too, as many of the punchier ads tend to be. They've turned over a new leaf here in Japan to be sure.

12-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #92

only pentax! gotta love em!
12-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

i was in a shop yesterday that sells a lot of manga insipred toys etc here on the weekend and they had one of the robots and I thought if Pentax dropped 2 of the cameras in there they'd sell them quickly. I'd love to have one as my backup i think (even though I'm not a massive fan of the culture, the irony of the use of this symbol along with the discussions it would generate at events etc when i'm shooting is highly appealing
not worth importing from JP though for me but i'll bet a couple of people will.
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
It's actually a very very clever joke, which unfortunately not many seems to get, including all those fanboys on Engadget, so I suppose the joke is on them.

"Kore ja nai Robo" is not a "proper" toy robot, it's a fake imitation robot that superficially resembles the ones from Gundam et al but wrong in every way.

It's the sort of toy robot a clueless mother would buy for a kid, and then the kid would say "No no no you bought the WRONG robot Mum! This is not the one"

That's what "Kore ja nai Robo" means - it doesn't translate to "This is not a robot", it actually translates as "the robot that you would say or describe as 'this is not the one'" :-)

For Pentax to use the design for a camera is actually a very cool concept, and one that would appeal to someone with a dry sense of humour.

Very self referential - essentially Pentax is suggesting that the K-r with the Kore ja nai design is a camera that's not a normal camera, ie. it's not a Canikon. In other words, it's the sort of camera that would evoke a response "But mum, that's not the camera I want!!!"

So essentially Raylon's opinion and the opinions of those Engadget commenters are spot on, but probably not in the way they think.
After watching that video, I was thinking the same thing.

Bold move, I think, and very funny.

12-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote

I would LOVE to show up for a shoot for Harper's BAZAAR with one of these Babies!!!
12-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #96
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I would LOVE to show up for a shoot for Harper's BAZAAR with one of these Babies!!!

laugh

I can only imagine the reaction of some of those people. They wouldn't know whether to pee or wind their watch.
12-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #97
Forum Member

Well, my K-x Batman Unlimited is still shooting. I'll wait...
12-23-2010, 02:55 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I firmly believe that when shooting people the reaction that the subject will have with the camera is at least as much important as the result that can be obtained from the hardware.

A 8x10 view camera will certainly get a different reaction than say a disposable camera like Terry Richardson used, or a Lomo, or a Leica...

Using the "fisherprice" Pentax toy camera would be a great way to get a great quality of picture with a camera that no one can take seriously. And as a result get more natural expressions.

12-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #99
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
I firmly believe that when shooting people the reaction that the subject will have with the camera is at least as much important as the result that can be obtained from the hardware.

A 8x10 view camera will certainly get a different reaction than say a disposable camera like Terry Richardson used, or a Lomo, or a Leica...

Using the "fisherprice" Pentax toy camera would be a great way to get a great quality of picture with a camera that no one can take seriously. And as a result get more natural expressions.
i don’t know if id call the expression this camera would cause people to have, ’natural’. I tend to think most would laugh or show a face of confusion.
12-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #100
Pentaxian

I'm not sure what the fuss is here. Pentax has made a few cameras aimed at one particular market (their home market at that) that is known for being rather odd by Western standards.
Apparently they sell and make money.
What's the big deal?
12-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #101
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm not sure what the fuss is here. Pentax has made a few cameras aimed at one particular market (their home market at that) that is known for being rather odd by Western standards.
Apparently they sell and make money.
What's the big deal?
its different. things that are different tend to be a big deal.
01-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #102
Forum Member

It looks cool.. Tempted to get one if they make a polkadot edition..
01-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #103

I bought the red k-x and I get comments on it all the time. This camera is very cool, but, I think I'd be embarrassed to carry it around. Would look cool displayed on my wall....
01-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #104
Veteran Member

That is so sweet!! I want one!!! I would rock that thing hard.
01-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Wish that head thing on top was a real flashgun and the eyes glow when it's ready to "fire" )

There are a lot of weird things in Asian cultures and even me being Asian don't understand most of them either. Japan in particular, is quite the Dali or the Van Gogh to the West- artistic, but misunderstood - and why Pentax makes cameras like these is because they want to please the local market (fellow Japanese).

Wait, I think I saw a Hello Kitty Leica in the previous pages.... Now ain't that cute~
If the market for Pentax in the rest of the world is as crazy/cool/eccentric as Japan's, who knows, a cool Transformers or something-better edition might come out 'Coz if I were to choose, I'd take a StarCraft-inspired K-r/K-x just my opinion though~