Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OOOOOO! I want a "bad guy" one!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
"IT IS NOT THIS"

Looks like this is bigger then I could have expected.

Here is a link to the soundtrack that goes with the camera:

Amazon.co.jp: IT IS NOT THIS!コレジャナイロボ!: 水木一郎, ザリガニワークス, MARS: 音楽

Now I'm disipointed that Pentax did not release the "bad guy" for this series:

コレジャナイロボ オフィシャルサイト

Second one down.
Love the cyclops eye and the skulls! The ball and chain could get annoying tho, maybe they could lose that bit.

NaCl(and the cyclops eye could light up when you turn the camera on!)H2O

12-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Aww I made a bad first impression? Oh darn....Sorry that I responded to him with my own opinion.

Want to hear what most people think about this camera? Read the comments section here:

Pentax K-r receives a rainbow paintjob, 35mm prime lens for limited edition kit -- Engadget

Sure there are one or two people who realize that Pentax is great, but the rest just see this as a joke.

And yes they are superficial gadget blog people. But guess what, they are the people who are going to be buying cameras. Just one more reason for them to completely ignore Pentax.
To say that comments on an Engadget post represent "most people" is stretching the truth to try to prove a point. For every one of those Engadget folks, I've had ten people come up to me and say, "Who makes that red camera? That's cool! I want one!" I had people at PDN/PhotoPLUS literally stop in their tracks, stop, and ask me about this red K-x:

Where's the truth? Somewhere in the middle of these two anecdotes I'd say. But if you look at Pentax's latest financials, the existence of colored K-x cameras hasn't hurt their bottom line at all. If anything, it's probably drawn more attention to the brand and helped push them into the black.

To have an opinion is one thing. To believe that your opinion is the prevailing one is another thing altogether - and an Engadget post isn't enough.
12-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sacriledge!

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I think they should release the 645D in this look!

<ducks for cover>
You are skating on thin ice here buddy! Don't you know that the 645D is sacred? Almost holy even? Why it would be almost as bad a putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa!
But I guess if on the the greatest artists of the 20th century can do that than you can get a rainbow 645D

NaCl(if it's good enough for Marcel Duchamp it should be OK for Robin)H2O
12-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you seem to be OK with negative expressions...

Aww I made a bad first impression? Oh darn....Sorry that I responded to him with my own opinion.

Want to hear what most people think about this camera? Read the comments section here:

Pentax K-r receives a rainbow paintjob, 35mm prime lens for limited edition kit -- Engadget

Sure there are one or two people who realize that Pentax is great, but the rest just see this as a joke.

And yes they are superficial gadget blog people. But guess what, they are the people who are going to be buying cameras. Just one more reason for them to completely ignore Pentax.
Yo numsquatz! relax yourself! Aint nobody's bottom line being hurt here!

NaCl(wondering if you still insist on a beige grey computer?)H2O

12-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John, what is that gizmo on your hot shoe? Some sort of radio flash? BTW love the red.
edit: Never mind, didn't see the link. One question, is it hard to sync the video and the audio?

NaCl(enquiring minds want to know)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 12-04-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: missed the link about the Tascam
12-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #36
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If anything, it's probably drawn more attention to the brand and helped push them into the black.

To have an opinion is one thing. To believe that your opinion is the prevailing one is another thing altogether - and an Engadget post isn't enough.
Well that is definitely a no brainer. Colored K-x's has brought a lot of success to Pentax for sure. Probably the big reason they are so succesful.

But people need to understand what I am saying. If someone has never seen Pentax before and this creation is their first taste of Pentax, they are probably just going to laugh at it and completely ignore Pentax. Just look at the Engadget comments. They are relating it to a Fisher-Price kids toy. Not exactly a good first impression.
12-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not a rainbow, but the blue, red, and yellow are the colors of the flags of a lot of countries and would at least have a little interest.

Have they made a red white and blue K-x, yet?

12-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #38

Photos: Albums
If someone has never seen Pentax before and this creation is their first taste of Pentax.
If somebody saw the black K-r for the first time, they would ignore it as well, just like Sigma cameras are ignored. I see nothing Pentax can lose.

Btw, Ford comes in any colour you want, as long as it is black.
12-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #39
Inactive Account

"mrrifleman

if the price premium were no more than $50 USD, i'd buy one.

keep in mind, most people shopping for a camera in the KR class aren't photographers.
they're people who want to take better pictures of their kids running around. so looking professional isn't a concern. i work in an electronics department at a big box retail store, and when people look at cameras, especially female buyers and young buyers in general, color is often more of a concern than lens roadmaps and high ISO performance. (the most painful thing in the world is trying to explain ISO to people who don't know how to use a camera...)"

And this is the attitude that p..ses me off when I walk into a camera shop and ask about Pentax or mention I have a Pentax. Always the same attitude, "Oh its not a real camera, you need a Canikon ".
This attitude comes from the STAFF selling the product.

So what you are saying is that anyone that does not have a K5 or Canikon is NOT a photographer ! Very broad statement. An awful lot of "Photographers " use the K200d for example, as a backup camera for both Pentax and Canikon doing wedding work and effectively it should not be in the same "Class" as the KR.

The camera is only part of the equation - give the user some credit as well !

As for colour - my wife hates me spending so much time taking photos BUT the Fluoro red KX has caught her eye and she keeps looking at it everytime we go into our local shop. She is starting to ask camera related questions, and has even mentioned places WE could go to take photos, so who cares about what it looks like.

Last edited by Nobbys Nuts; 12-04-2010 at 03:55 PM.
12-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I mean it's neat for the Japanese market but here in the US, I see this purely as an embarrassment for Pentax. Most people will look at this and say 'WTF is that? I guess Pentax only makes toy cameras..."
Yes, I do. this leaves a bad first impression to most. If someone was looking for a camera starting today, and they saw that Kr, doesn't matter if it was in a store or on the internet, they would think that Pentax is somewhat of a joke.
I have pretty much only one thing to say to that:

12-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #41
Veteran Member

OMG!

I want I want I want ....!

I hope Pentax gets the hint and produce a Hello Kitty camera too!
12-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yes, it's a bit of a different culture in Japan. Some other items you won't see over here, which are in the Pentax Japan webstore:
Pentax Online Shop:カメラーマン
Pentax Online Shop:カラフルレンズフィルター
Pentax Online Shop/ストラップ
12-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #43
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

People looking at the K-r and similar classed cameras are not even going to consider a Leica, so that really isn't the same case at all. If you are about to put down the money for a Leica, you already probably know plenty about what brand you want.

Entry level stuff like the K-r on the other hand, people still probably haven't made up their mind.
12-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
My Gods, that thing's like a Mary Kay Porsche. You're either going to embarrass yourself or someone else, but it ought to be fun either way.

Seriously, folks, the robot-toy edition is kind of a Japanese thing, it's meant to be a little silly, despite what's under the hood. It really takes an American to think a camera's going to perform worse if someone's not all serious about the brand image of some silly edition out there.

I'm personally very much about not drawing undue attention to the camera itself, but my take on a lot of the Japanese silliness is it's like karaoke: insisting on seeming all 'professional' is no way to get people up and singing.

(Frankly, in these times where a lot of people and places get a real burr up about bringing a 'professional' camera anywhere, bring on the Space Cruiser Yamato edition. Malls need a photodoc. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-04-2010 at 05:43 PM.
12-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Seriously, folks, the robot-toy edition is kind of a Japanese thing, it's meant to be a little silly, despite what's under the hood. It really takes an American to think a camera's going to perform worse if someone's not all serious about the brand image of some silly edition out there.
I hit on this in my first post in this thread. but maybe its just my ‘feeble mind’ preventing me from properly understanding.