Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
645D on cover page of Amateur Photograper..

this 4 December issue

12-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Publicity is always good.

So whatīs their conclusion? Is it better than a top DSLR? Funny, I was fairly sure the 645D IS a top DSLR, does it not count as one because itīs medium format?

It reminds me of people asking "Should I get an ipod or an MP3 player?"
12-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
Banned

wow that's good news. Can't remember seeing Pentax at the cover the last years.
12-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, a quick summary of the article would be appreciated!

12-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #5

You can zoom in up to 3 pages here:
Amateur Photographer | December 4, 2010 | Inside | Zinio Digital Magazines

It's not enaugh for whole review, but you can see the most of it to get the picture.
12-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i can only give you this

they gave it 86 point only? oh cmon AP!

--

@all
i can give you the download page of this magazine .. but if only the mod say oke for that ..
12-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The subscriber version of ShutterBug Magazine this month has a Red, White & Black Pentax K-R on the cover.

12-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

they gave it 86 point only? oh cmon AP!
Was the reviewer of it one "K. Rockwell"?
12-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They marked it down on features, AF and AWB / Colour. The features because it was lacking a Compact Flash slot + lack of support for SDXC. Speed was another thing he moaned about, seemingly 1.1 fps is too slow for portraiture and the 5 seconds it takes to show on the lcd. AWB / Colour is reckoned to be good outside but in a studio it was either too warm or cold and needed help from a greycard. That was a strange comment really because in a studio you have complete control over lighting so presumably you would have presets for the lighting you have setup. AF then got walloped because he compared to a Nikon D3X which is superior but compared to its immediate MF competition the Pentax leads. He seems to give with one hand and take away with the other where he could, areas where he could not were Noise, Resolution, and Sensitivity, detail = breathtaking, compared to Nikon D3X at 100% "the difference is starkly obvious", it hit 38 on resolution which I think is the highest I've seen on AP, DR is measured at 12.5 and he liked the Viewfinder a lot.

Last edited by robbiec; 12-05-2010 at 01:28 PM.
12-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm almost certain that the population that would buy a 645D is not in its vast majority anywhere is the readership of amateur photography.

Those are the pro who feel that making the jump from FF to MF is necessary in order to impress customers as FF is becoming increasingly "amateur", or who always desired a digital MF as they used them in the films days but couldn't afford the $$$ of current systems. Those are the wealthy amateurs who need/desire the extra pixels of the 645D, but didn't make the jump before as they were waiting for weather sealing.

I don't think Pentax really cares about magazine testing and feedback as they can't cope with the demand for the moment, and it's not even released anywhere or has a complete refreshed lens lineup.

A the moment, Pentax really has 3 killer cameras in its lineup, a great lens lineup, and apparently a great marketing strategy.
12-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
They marked it down on features...*edited for length*
Once again, it seems it got marked down because Pentax threw another curve ball by giving them a camera that's not easily classifiable according to the rest of the market.

And then the reviewers were confused as hell by it.
12-06-2010, 03:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Once again, it seems it got marked down because Pentax threw another curve ball by giving them a camera that's not easily classifiable according to the rest of the market.

And then the reviewers were confused as hell by it.
I reckon that that's an occupational hazard of reviewers in many fields. I've seen lousy reviews of great movies, where the chief irritation seemed to be that the reviewer was having trouble classifying the genre.
12-06-2010, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #13

They also complained about the lack of live-view. But without knowing the sensor architecture, it could well be that liveview is impossible for this type of sensor. Seems a bit unfair to mark a camera down for something that's just a wishlist item for the reviewer. I'd like my pentax to dispense seasonal drinks on demand, but I'm hardly going to knock marks off a review because it doesn't.
12-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuchulainn Quote
They also complained about the lack of live-view. But without knowing the sensor architecture, it could well be that liveview is impossible for this type of sensor. Seems a bit unfair to mark a camera down for something that's just a wishlist item for the reviewer.
That was indeed very amateurish of the reviewer. You can't have LV with the current CCD sensors used in 645D and similar cameras. I haven't read the article though, if he reviews it as an alternative to professional FF cameras, it may of course be a valid point (and who knows what sensor the next version of the 645D will have?).
12-06-2010, 05:37 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder how many digital medium format cameras the reviewer had shot? I certainly couldn't do a review of a digital medium format camera, because I have absolutely no experience with that segment of photography. While the 645D may be selling against the D3x in certain segments, it will never be a run and gun sports camera.

As far as I can tell, the biggest knock on the 645D right now is lack of tethering.