Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-5 beats Canikon -- that's the cover story in Germany now

Tomorrow (Saturday) German magazine ColorFoto issue 2011/01 will be in news stands.

Their cover story is entitled:
"Tested: Pentax K-5 beats Canon & Nikon"
I attach the cover I shot.

As has been published online earlier, the K-5 won the direct shoot out between 60D, D7000, E-5 and K-5. The E-5 scored second.

More important for Pentax, the K-5 now scores #5 in the overall ranking and is currently
#1 for non FF/MF
I.e., it does beat the 7D and D300s too.

I don't have a very high regard for ColorFoto and their tests. Chasseur d'Images certainly is a better magazine. And DxO and DPR have more influence overall. But in Germany, it (unfortunately) doesn't get better for a print magazine and therefore, the ColorFoto magazine has the highest impact in the German speaking part of Europe. Pentax Germany may call it a "Strike, Yes!!"

The Colorfoto Editorial on page 1 is even more telling:

They ask: "Persecutor Pentax beats the two market leaders Canon and Nikon. Is it allowed to do so? We think Yes because the facts are conclusive."
They also explain to be accused to be partial (pro Canon, contra Nikon) for not having rated the D7000 higher recently. They explain that magazine ad space income has become irrelevant (70% of income now is directly from the readers) and therefore, they couldn't afford to be partial. Interesting and certainly not true for the big internet review sites ...

BTW, they offer their test images for download.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-23-2012 at 03:11 AM.
12-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
More important for Pentax, the K-5 now scores #5 in the overall ranking and is currently
#1 for non FF/MF
Amazing. Great news for Pentax.

Let the Canokians worry for a change, whether the test results are justified.
12-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's freaking awesome! Great news for Pentax!
12-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tomorrow (Saturday) German magazine ColorFoto issue 2011/01 will be in news stands.

Their cover story is entitled:
"Tested: Pentax K-5 beats Canon & Nikon"
I attach the cover I shot.

As has been published online earlier, the K-5 won the direct shoot out between 60D, D7000, E-5 and K-5. The E-5 scored second.

#1 for non FF/MF

I don't have a very high regard for ColorFoto and their tests. Chasseur d'Images certainly is a better magazine. And DxO and DPR have more influence overall. But in Germany, it (unfortunately) doesn't get better for a print magazine and therefore, the ColorFoto magazine has the highest impact in the German speaking part of Europe. Pentax Germany may call it a "Strike, Yes!!"

The Colorfoto Editorial on page 1 is even more telling:

They ask: "Persecutor Pentax beats the two market leaders Canon and Nikon. Is it allowed to do so? We think Yes because the facts are conclusive."
They also explain to be accused to be partial (pro Canon, contra Nikon) for not having rated the D7000 higher recently. They explain that magazine ad space income has become irrelevant (70% of income now is directly from the readers) and therefore, they couldn't afford to be partial. Interesting and certainly not true for the big internet review sites ...

BTW, they offer their test images for download.

I need to go downtown tomorrow to one of the shops that have foreign magazines and buy a copy and have it framed. No Swedish magazine have so far dared to state this as clearly, though the reviews are good so far. Thanks Falcon.

12-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Their cover story is entitled:[INDENT]"Tested: Pentax K-5 beats Canon & Nikon"
It is much better to look at too....
12-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always been proud to be a Pentaxian, now even more so. This latest incaration of Pentax's flagship has raised the bar again. It seems like Pentax listens to us each time they come out with a new flagship model and makes the next generation camera all that much better. Perhaps all the companies do that to some extent, but it does seem like Pentax really does respond to their loyal customer base. The K-7 is a great camera no doubt, but it appears Pentax has raised the bar significantly in image quality with the K-5. Well done Pentax!

Last edited by PentaxRev; 12-10-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling problem
12-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing this Falconeye. With all of the chatter on the forums regarding the sensor issue (currently being addressed by Pentax) it is very uplifting to see this positive assessment coming out of Germany. The comment regarding the power of advertising affecting evaluations is very telling., especially from the many camera review sites in the US. Bravo Pentax, Bravo K5

12-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax camera that is more expensive than D300s and 7d beats even cheaper Canon and Nikon models.... bravo! bravo!

Sorry guys, this is pathetic... Sad thing is that neither Canon or Nikon does really give a sh@t...

Now... back to our spotted sensors... when the Fu@K will Pentax issue a fix?!!!!!
12-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax allready told B&H to replace any K-5 they sold with the sensor issues. So I'm sure you can have yours replaced.
12-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Replacement or a full refund is not an issue... The problem is that there are no K5s in stock where i've got it and Pentax Canada is so lost in their panties, nobody has a clue when the next shipment will come in... There's another store in Montreal that seems to have some in stock... but they too don't have the 18-135s yet...
12-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Banned

That is good pentax news.
12-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Pentax camera that is more expensive than D300s and 7d beats even cheaper Canon and Nikon models.... bravo! bravo!
I am betting that when the K-5 will be on the stands for as long as those two, it will be even cheaper (than them).
12-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I actually thought the translation was Pentax SLAMS Canon and Nikon I like that better.
12-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #14

If my german is correct the cover says "pentax slaughters nikon and canon"
12-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Bravo Pentax, bravo... <claps>

Now, repeat your successes over the next few years, fill out your lens lineup, and give us a better flash with weather sealing.