Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #1

When to start??

So when is the next show that we can start rumers about going to happen.

I hear a FF EVIL WR body will be launched.

Seriously though, what is the show schedule for 2011?

Bill

12-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
CP+ 2011 (Camera & Photo Imaging Show 2011; 9th-12th February 2011 in Yokohama, Japan)

PMA2011 (September 8-10, 2011, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA)
12-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #3

I hope it's lenses

I really hope Pentax next releases a DA* prime (24-28mm) and a better DA* 17-55 f/2.8 to replace the very mediocre 16-50. I haven't tried the new 18-135WR, so maybe the latter is less urgent.

But for god's sake... give us a prime in the 24-28mm range this is weather-sealed!

To repeat: Pentax's market philosophy is not quite there yet. If the point is to make small, very capable kits, why only weather-seal the bodies and not the primes that are supposed to be quintessentially Pentax? I would love to see WR versions of all DA Limiteds released, along with the above-mentioned DA* prime in the 24-28mm range.

Make sense? Pentax are you listening?
12-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Predictions and logic

If I had to guess, I would say dont expect anew DSLR body in 2011 due to the fact the 2 newest bodies were just hitting the shelves last month and still not even yet in some places. Probably Spring 2012 for the next body or updates, etc.

2011...maybe a couple of new lenses...perhaps a 55-300WR and a new cheaper 50mm based on the 35/2.4 model.

Probably another P&S and or another super-zoom which would perhaps be...WR too?

If they would only re-release an FA20/2.8 offspring.

Jason

12-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
If I had to guess, I would say dont expect anew DSLR body in 2011 due to the fact the 2 newest bodies were just hitting the shelves last month and still not even yet in some places. Probably Spring 2012 for the next body or updates, etc.

2011...maybe a couple of new lenses...perhaps a 55-300WR and a new cheaper 50mm based on the 35/2.4 model.

Probably another P&S and or another super-zoom which would perhaps be...WR too?

Jason
K-5 replacement definitely will be in year 2012, but next K-m/x/r generation may be next year(September) because these models were introduced with 1 year interval:
Km - September 2008
Kx - September 2009
Kr - September 2010

Of course, there must be DA* or WR 24-30mm prime next year.

And i hope there will be real niche EVIL next year - something like weather seald FF Fuji Finepix X100 with interchangable lenses, initially with 3 primes- approx. 24mm (wide angle), approx. 43mm (normal) and approx. 77mm (short tele), and adapter for k-mount lenses (wishful thinking)
12-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
K-5 replacement definitely will be in year 2012, but next K-m/x/r generation may be next year(September) because these models were introduced with 1 year interval:
Km - September 2008
Kx - September 2009
Kr - September 2010

Of course, there must be DA* or WR 24-30mm prime next year.

And i hope there will be real niche EVIL next year - something like weather seald FF Fuji Finepix X100 with interchangable lenses, initially with 3 primes- approx. 24mm (wide angle), approx. 43mm (normal) and approx. 77mm (short tele), and adapter for k-mount lenses (wishful thinking)
Your comments make a lot of sense.

Yes, a K-r update may show up, and they may (maybe they even must do it, to compete in the east asian consumer market) release a MILC camera. I wonder how they will make it stand out. Not so sure they will make the kind of niche camera you envision, MILC is the new P&S so they may need something that appeals to the masses.

I hope they will release the "super telephoto" of the roadmap, and of course a wide WR lens (something like 24mm f/2 WR would be good).

I guess he most certain lens to arrive is the 645 wide angle? Maybe they'll also present some WR-ed and slightly modified versions of existing FA645 lenses? And... could there be any chance that a second 645 body shows up - with identical body housing a less expensive sensor?
12-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Next year:

* K-7 goes away when K-5 pipeline is full and price drops, squeezing K-7.
* K-X goes away if/when K-r price drops enough, but it has to drop a lot.
* K-r drops toward (but not necessarily to) current K-X pricing

* K-?, a new body that is either
... K-5 sealed body with cost reductions like single command wheel, no top LCD, 460K LCD but improved video
or
... K-r unsealed body with maybe a new image processor, improved AF, improved video.

Yes, that gives us three or four APC-C bodies at the same time. We have four now so it's OK ....

* 645D Mk II (don't ask, I don't use that class and don't know what to add to that body)

* EVIL. No idea what that means. Hints early, delivery of initial effort Q2 or Q3. Perhaps just a toe in the water next year. I still suspect some sort of co-op agreement with Sony (who needs help in many areas). Pentax needs Sony to stay in photo business to provide a larger market for the sensors Pentax needs. Co-op does NOT necessarily mean re-badging. Maybe lens/sensor in common?

* WR and MF glass. Lots of opportunity there. More replacement of/addition to FA models with similar but cost-reduced DA models. WR landscape. Love to see WR 55-300, myself. I wish Pentax would payTamron to make some models available to us. Pick your own poison there. I like 11-16 2.8. Complements but does not replace 12-24. Oh, that's Tamron, too. Never mind ....

* Prep for K-5 replacement TBA Q1 2012. Improved image processor (it's time for news in that department), much improved video, AF improvement, I don't know what else. Improved ASIC could allow more fps at higher ISO or using other capabilities. In-camera one-shot HDR? Interface for GPS? Create multiple JPEGs from one exposure - allowing three "looks" without resort to PP. Entry-level folks might like that a lot.

* In any case, I vote for something like Nikon Best Shot Selector. Loved it on my circa 2003 Nikon 4500 and would like it here. Takes a few shots and keeps only the sharpest. Perfect for indoor low-light hand-held. Used it often in churches and museums where flash didn't cover enough territory or was not permitted. Now I just take a series of each scene/subject and have to manually pick out the sharpest. Easy enough for one or two shots. Big pain going through 3-5 copies of each of 70 shots. I'd pay an extra license fee for this one.

* Time for a flash re-do but I don't think we'll get it. I don't mind. I use Metz 58 in auto mode and have no complaints. Others may want the equivalent of Nikon's flash system and it's power (and complexity). Bless them. Perhaps Pentax could offer exclusive use of the Pentax flash spec license and let Metz or someone create the system for us. I don't mind as long as it brings the right functionality.

* Tethering. It appears that Pentax will have to get back there. Perhaps at for an add'l $100 (a la Canon?).

I think the Canon news is the big news. Options at an optional cost. Options that don't require multiple production runs with the attendant inventory problems. Maybe some funky license key arrangement? Don't care. But Pentax will not invest add'l R&D money without good reason to believe it will produce add'l profit. That's how businesses work, and should work.

No 3D. No FF. Pentax has its hands full (at least) with crop factor and MF. As shown above.

Oh, yes. I still believe that Pentax will have a different ownership structure next year at this time. Don't want to debate that subject as most of what could be written already has been. Only footnote: new bodies are out and priced. Neither K-r nor K-5 have turned DSLR sales upside down. D7000 and 60D are also acceptable models for most people in that price range. Some users will switch brands, no doubt, one way or another. But Pentax will not double market share at the expense of Nikon or Canon.

And we will keep shooting Pentax. It's a wonderful thing .....

12-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #8

don't worry, the MILC cam of Pentax will have a strong USP ;-) ... different and interesting features I think (although I am really not a fan of MILCs)
12-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

longer glasses, PPPPPPPlllllllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeee!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by WideOpen Quote
I really hope Pentax next releases a DA* prime (24-28mm) and a better DA* 17-55 f/2.8 to replace the very mediocre 16-50. I haven't tried the new 18-135WR, so maybe the latter is less urgent.

But for god's sake... give us a prime in the 24-28mm range this is weather-sealed!

To repeat: Pentax's market philosophy is not quite there yet. If the point is to make small, very capable kits, why only weather-seal the bodies and not the primes that are supposed to be quintessentially Pentax? I would love to see WR versions of all DA Limiteds released, along with the above-mentioned DA* prime in the 24-28mm range.

Make sense? Pentax are you listening?
I don't know if I would call DA* 16-50mm/2.8 mediocre, none of the DA* lenses are mediocre. Well, got that out of the way...

I wanna a couple of longer glass, maybe make a 70-200mm/2.8, and 300mm/2.8 and longer...
12-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
I don't know if I would call DA* 16-50mm/2.8 mediocre, none of the DA* lenses are mediocre. Well, got that out of the way...
Well... I guess I was just referring to the weak to average border performance at all focal lengths until f/5.6 and the very heavy CAs at all focal lengths.

I find it funny in these forums how many people protect Pentax's product because they are Pentax.

I think Pentax does a lot of things well, which is why I use their system. Examples in the DA* line include the 50-135 (excellent); 200mm (very good, but poor bokeh); 300mm (very good to excellent); 60-250mm (marvel of engineering: excellent); 55mm (very good?).

But I don't think that the DA* 16-50mm is an example of Pentax excelling, especially for the price they ask for it. This is based on having used it and comparable products many times.
12-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WideOpen Quote
Well... I guess I was just referring to the weak to average border performance at all focal lengths until f/5.6 and the very heavy CAs at all focal lengths.

I find it funny in these forums how many people protect Pentax's product because they are Pentax.

I think Pentax does a lot of things well, which is why I use their system. Examples in the DA* line include the 50-135 (excellent); 200mm (very good, but poor bokeh); 300mm (very good to excellent); 60-250mm (marvel of engineering: excellent); 55mm (very good?).

But I don't think that the DA* 16-50mm is an example of Pentax excelling, especially for the price they ask for it. This is based on having used it and comparable products many times.
I am not here to protect Pentax's products here, I've used all DA* lenses, they are all fabulous lenses, and some are even better some of the Canon's L glasses... and I do shoot with D3s as well...
12-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
CP+ 2011 (Camera & Photo Imaging Show 2011; 9th-12th February 2011 in Yokohama, Japan)

PMA2011 (September 8-10, 2011, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA)
Thanks, noted now in diary.

Didn't expect all this speculation though.

Bill
12-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
*snip*

Jason
Amen to that! Tho since I have the FA 20mm f2.8 maybe I don't need it. But it is a stellar lens.

NaCl( if they build it I will buy)H2O
12-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's what we do best!

QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
Thanks, noted now in diary.

Didn't expect all this speculation though.

Bill
To speculate, perchance to dream, aye that's the rub.

NaCl(instead of 'dreams of sugar plums' we have 'dreams of long and fast glass')H2O
12-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
To speculate, perchance to dream, aye that's the rub.

NaCl(instead of 'dreams of sugar plums' we have 'dreams of long and fast glass')H2O
How true. I dream of a full frame K30. September maybe??

Bill