Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
The Nikon 14-24/2.8 isn't that big, and that covers an FF image circle. I'm sure Pentax could make a 12-35/2.8 the same size or smaller than the 14-24.
You are probably right, Pentax could make it this way. A lot of things are possible technically. The question is, how much will such lens cost? Few people in this thread have already commented that the DA 12-24/4 is expensive at $700. Well, the 14-28/2.8 is about $1800, and a 12-35/2.8 would probably cost more than that.

If the 12-35 will be optically similar to the 12-24/4, and if Pentax will be able to keep the price under $1000, I would very much like to have it regardless of the maximum aperture.

12-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not really. The Nikon 14-24/2.8 isn't that big
I disagree. Especially for street/walkaround, the Nikkor 14-24/2.8 is very big indeed. From the responses on this thread so far, I'm not the only one to think 12-35mm is an almost ideal focal range for that purpose, so the size of the lens is pretty important.

QuoteQuote:
I'm sure Pentax could make a 12-35/2.8 the same size or smaller than the 14-24.
I'm not so sure. 12-35mm is more than twice the focal range of 14-24mm. In other words, it's a 2.9x zoom vs. a 1.7x one. It is therefore a much more complex design, smaller image circle of not.

QuoteQuote:
That would be an acceptable size for me. If not, I would rather have it be constant f/4 than variable aperture. They just annoy me. Like the guy above said, it's probably just a pet peeve. But I just don't like them.
Sure, f/4 would be great. But there nothing preventing us from using the rumoured 12-35/3.5-4.5 as a constant f/4.5 lens
12-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I disagree. Especially for street/walkaround, the Nikkor 14-24/2.8 is very big indeed. From the responses on this thread so far, I'm not the only one to think 12-35mm is an almost ideal focal range for that purpose, so the size of the lens is pretty important.
Sure, but it's also the ideal focal length for photojournalism, wedding photography, landscape photography, adventure photography and more. Many of which would appreciate having f/2.8.

Pentax really need a pro-grade, sealed, top optics, f/2.8 UWA zoom. It would really make them stand out above any other aps-c line up. That and a really fast telephoto.
12-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #64
Forum Member

Any ideas on how much this lens is going to cost, guys?

12-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure, but it's also the ideal focal length for photojournalism, wedding photography, landscape photography, adventure photography and more. Many of which would appreciate having f/2.8.
With the exceptions of weddings won't most of those prefer a smaller size vs a faster lens?
12-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
With the exceptions of weddings won't most of those prefer a smaller size vs a faster lens?
I guess it depends on who is shooting. My take on things is that even if I'm usually shooting at f/5.6 or higher, it's still worth it to have the possibility of f/2.8 for the few times you need it. But I guess if you're going to lose out of lens speed, an ultra-wide is the place to do it. Particularly with a lens like this, I imagine it would be spending a lot of time at f/8 anyways. I just really don't like variable aperture lenses, they seem cheap to me. I would be alright with the lens being DA* and f/4.
12-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess it depends on who is shooting. My take on things is that even if I'm usually shooting at f/5.6 or higher, it's still worth it to have the possibility of f/2.8 for the few times you need it. But I guess if you're going to lose out of lens speed, an ultra-wide is the place to do it. Particularly with a lens like this, I imagine it would be spending a lot of time at f/8 anyways. I just really don't like variable aperture lenses, they seem cheap to me. I would be alright with the lens being DA* and f/4.
I don't think there is one person that wouldn't want a bigger aperture in a lens if there weren't other tradeoffs. But the end users that you described usually want something to be as portable as possible. And in a lot cases they are also outdoors where they are stopping it down anyway.

12-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Anyone that can give a good guess regarding how small it can be made? Comparable to which DA model in size?

The zoom range is very tempting and would stay on my camera for most of time if the image quality is good enough
12-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote

Anyone that can give a good guess regarding how small it can be made? Comparable to which DA model in size?
OK, here's a guess - based on a current model 12mm starter-point to longer than average Zoom that they make.

I predict that they should be able to churn it out slightly smaller, and RRP it for a few $$ less, than their slightly lesser known 12-660.

Pentax C61248 Zoom Lens (55x) C61248 B&H Photo Video

Not sure which DA flavour might be comparable though, or even how fast the AF is.

.R.
12-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #70
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
That's what I was asking myself as well. It seems to be rather long compared to the size of the rear element, in comparison with the da 12-24 (http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/zooms/_optics/12-24f4.jpg). The front element seems to be smaller as well, only about 2x the diameter of the rear element vs. ~3x for the 12-24. It's just speculation, of course, but if they built that lens with a length comparable to the 12-24, then it should be fairly small in diameter, maybe with a smaller filter size than 77mm as well, or maybe even with a rear element which is somewhat more recessed in the bayonet mount.

But maybe this is wishful thinking as well...

coon
12-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #71
Veteran Member

The DA 12-24 is already small for what it provides. I imagine this lens to be a tad bigger. If it was constant aperture it'd be bigger still. If it was a stop faster it'd be twice the size and twice the weight.
12-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
OK, here's a guess - based on a current model 12mm starter-point to longer than average Zoom that they make.

I predict that they should be able to churn it out slightly smaller, and RRP it for a few $$ less, than their slightly lesser known 12-660.

Pentax C61248 Zoom Lens (55x) C61248 B&H Photo Video

Not sure which DA flavour might be comparable though, or even how fast the AF is.

.R.
AF is very slow, Hypo, but at F/360 you'll have enough DOF that focus matters little.
12-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #73

Personally, I think Pentax should follow this up with a DA*24-70/2.8 internal zoom. This would give the option of a 12-35/24-70/60-250 kit with WR, while avoiding the 50/55mm split that afflicts all current options (except the 18-135, which is more of a consumer-grade lens). A 24-70 should be smaller and lighter at 2.8 than the 16-50, allowing for internal zoom and a more general focal range to compliment a 12-35 WA.
12-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #74

Pentax really need a pro-grade, sealed, top optics, f/2.8 UWA zoom. It would really make them stand out above any other aps-c line up. That and a really fast telephoto.
If someone needed that why wouldn't they already have a Canon?

BTW why ultra-wide for weddings?
12-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
BTW why ultra-wide for weddings?
I have seen photogs do this because they don't know any better. Ultra-wide for group shots.... so everyone on the outside looks like they need a diet pronto! Rubbish images as a rule.

Some people think that an ultra-wide is needed to get in a large group, or a big landscape, etc. Whereas what is really needed is a change in perspective.