Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #16

ben - just curious but you say that the k5 essentially would make no difference to your work and i can understand that - if k20 is good enough for printing in magizines then extra a couple of MP not likely to change much and likewise i doubt you ever shoot much past iso 100 anyway BUT you mentioned you would like a 645D, what advantage do you see it providing? surely 40MP is overkill is 14 is doing the job fine? or is it the gorgeous viewfinder that appeals so you can confirm autofocus is where its supposed to be?

12-19-2010, 06:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Can't we just accept a little hyperbole without challenging the nuances of it?
No.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Frankly, form my perspective, Ben is 100% correct anyway.
From what you then wrote it only follows that there is still a lot of technological progress and that you find it worthwhile replacing your camera each year.

I still shoot my K100D and haven't found a need to dispose of it. Also, even for those who dispose of their cameras every year, it is still the question of whether or not the newest model is "overly expensive". I disagree with such a sweeping statement and nothing you said supported the inflated price argument.
12-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
ben - just curious but you say that the k5 essentially would make no difference to your work and i can understand that - if k20 is good enough for printing in magizines then extra a couple of MP not likely to change much and likewise i doubt you ever shoot much past iso 100 anyway
IIRC, Ben loves the way the K20D reproduces skin colour. I wish he had a K-5 just so I'd know how it compares.
12-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ben, if I remember correctly you were not very interested when the 645D was announced, but now you think it might be "interesting". Did anything changed in your way of working or work to change opinion? Hence no offense, everybody is free to change his mind, I'm just interested.

12-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
ben - just curious but you say that the k5 essentially would make no difference to your work and i can understand that - if k20 is good enough for printing in magizines then extra a couple of MP not likely to change much and likewise i doubt you ever shoot much past iso 100 anyway BUT you mentioned you would like a 645D, what advantage do you see it providing? surely 40MP is overkill is 14 is doing the job fine? or is it the gorgeous viewfinder that appeals so you can confirm autofocus is where its supposed to be?
...Because it would be nice to have one...It would look good in my video's.
12-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
It all comes down to what you have invested in glass, as all DSLR's are overly expensive disposable camera's.
I think of it like the price of a digital camera or DSLR body includes a lifetime supply of film for that camera. So for a k5, it takes about 10,000 clicks to break even compared to shooting on film. Probably more than 10k exposures though because the fact that pressing the button doesn't cost us any money makes us more wasteful with digital since it is possible to burn through a roll's worth of exposures in 5 seconds.
12-21-2010, 02:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I think of it like the price of a digital camera or DSLR body includes a lifetime supply of film for that camera. So for a k5, it takes about 10,000 clicks to break even compared to shooting on film. Probably more than 10k exposures though because the fact that pressing the button doesn't cost us any money makes us more wasteful with digital since it is possible to burn through a roll's worth of exposures in 5 seconds.
This is true, if you just take in account the price of the rolls.
(10 000/36 ) * 5 = 1400€
36 pictures per roll
5€ per roll
But if you add developpement, proofing and scanning/printing, we are far above that.

And this is not taking in account the camera, a Pentax LX or a Nikon F2 didn't come for free.

All in all, I believer digital photography is cheaper, even if it camera bodies look to be disposable.

12-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
IIRC, Ben loves the way the K20D reproduces skin colour. I wish he had a K-5 just so I'd know how it compares.
I haven't done a side by side comparison, but from just my base impression, the K-5 has a harsher skin tone than the K20. The red channel is a little punchy and blotchy. I find myself pushing the red channel towards orange and desaturating it more than I did with the K20 or K-7. But it still works just fine, just a little bit different of an editing process. I think I can see how someone would prefer the K20 over the K-5 for portraits though.
12-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Btw, Nice video, Ben! I really love whatever the first song is. Great choice.
12-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably stuff that wouldn't look any different published in the Magazine formats I work in. I was actually thinking of some K-r's for what I do. They are light, disposable after a year or so and have a wickedly good 12.3 megapixel sensor that would be perfect for magazine work.

I will wait and see...Perhaps a couple of K5's and a couple of grips might be nice...a 645D would be interesting as well...But so would any of the better DSLR's out there if you catch my drift.
It all comes down to what you have invested in glass, as all DSLR's are overly expensive disposable camera's.
I want to see the footage of you using the robot kr at a shoot, I think it would be ideal. I'd love one for interviews
12-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Btw, Nice video, Ben! I really love whatever the first song is. Great choice.
The credits are at the end of the film. First song is called "Pure Gold" by Earth Wind & Fire.
01-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #27
Forum Member

K20d got very nice neutral tones and is the only one that can tether... I bought mine back then because of this 2 points
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645d...

Probably stuff that wouldn't look any different published in the Magazine formats I work in. I was actually thinking of some K-r's for what I do. They are light, disposable after a year or so and have a wickedly good 12.3 megapixel sensor that would be perfect for magazine work.

I will wait and see...Perhaps a couple of K5's and a couple of grips might be nice...a 645D would be interesting as well...But so would any of the better DSLR's out there if you catch my drift.
...Because it would be nice to have one...It would look good in my video's.
is a MONSTER! I've only tried one briefly...MUCH bigger than the film 645, which was very small by medium format standards...

Hope you're keeping well, man, and that you're still making music...we'll have to hook up on Facebook sometime....

Cheers,
Cameron

PS: here's a shot of my hometown...with YOUR sharpening scheme applied...

01-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #29
Forum Member

OT: Now most K-series Pentax can tether

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
K20d got very nice neutral tones and is the only one that can tether... I bought mine back then because of this 2 points
This is no longer completely true. If you google PKTether you will find a new app called PKTether (or is it PK-Tether??) but it works with the K-r, K5, K-7 as well as most other K-series DSLRs that have some sort of standard USB setup for DSLRs. I have tired it out with my K5 and it is pretty nice. With my K20d (I could not sell it for what it's worth to me) it's super fast and a vast improvement over the crappy Pentax Remote Assistant Software.

The software is just an alpha I think but it seems pretty much as functional or more than the Pentax software that came with the K20d. Still no live view tethering but this is closer.

https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en/pk_tether

i am sure there is a thread around here somewhere but did not search.
01-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snipenekkid Quote
This is no longer completely true. If you google PKTether you will find a new app called PKTether (or is it PK-Tether??) but it works with the K-r, K5, K-7 as well as most other K-series DSLRs that have some sort of standard USB setup for DSLRs. I have tired it out with my K5 and it is pretty nice. With my K20d (I could not sell it for what it's worth to me) it's super fast and a vast improvement over the crappy Pentax Remote Assistant Software.

The software is just an alpha I think but it seems pretty much as functional or more than the Pentax software that came with the K20d. Still no live view tethering but this is closer.

https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en/pk_tether

i am sure there is a thread around here somewhere but did not search.
Have to agree with u the pentax software is crap.. Shoot a little faster and everything hangs.. Best part is sometimes u lose afew images inbetween hangs