Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax is kicking some butt over at 1001 Noisy Cameras

They have a "cameras of the year" poll and Pentax is winning every category they appear in, except in superzooms, where the X90 is only #2.

Not really news as such, but kind of interesting. Does this mean that people are starting to "get it" regarding Pentax cameras and their merits, or that Pentax users are techies and Internet warriors who are more likely to vote on polls like this one?

Also, we can clearly see the results of Sony's "treat DSLR cameras as any other disposable electronics gadget and release 50 barely discernible, artificially crippled, mediocre models a month" strategy.

12-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thats whats up!
12-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I see this a part real input, part fan input, and some part inside baseball input. I voted in this and simply voted all Pentax even though in a number of cases I had no idea of which was better than the other. Honest behavior on my part, who knows? On one hand it's better to be wining in this kind of straw poll but I'm not sure how much it really means.
12-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #4

I just think this proves that a disproportionate amount of Pentax users visit that site.

For example, in the "tough camera" category, I can say without any hesitation whatsoever that both the Canon and Sony are clearly superior cameras all around. I also suspect that K7's numbers are artificially high. The rest are at least believable.

12-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

While the results for the 645D, K-5 and K-x are pretty much in line with what I expected (they are obviously their respective class's leaders), the fact that Pentax is now leading basically every category by a huge margin, including the questionable P&S area (where Pentax's cameras have gotten some less than stellar reviews), leads me to question just how much fanboyism is at work here.

Though I am of course a Pentax fan, if I didn't know the category very well, I just decided not to vote in that category, rather than simply voting for Pentax. Blindly voting for your favorite company with no basis is the number 1 thing that makes polls like this "meaningless" and easily dismissible in the first place.

Last edited by Cannikin; 12-20-2010 at 10:18 AM.
12-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by WideOpen Quote
For example, in the "tough camera" category, I can say without any hesitation whatsoever that both the Canon and Sony are clearly superior cameras all around. I also suspect that K7's numbers are artificially high. The rest are at least believable.

Um, did you look at the polls? There IS no 'tough camera' category, unless you are referring to the 'waterproof' category. In that case, the Optio W90 is considered by many reviewers to be the highest in its class.
12-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Um, did you look at the polls? There IS no 'tough camera' category, unless you are referring to the 'waterproof' category. In that case, the Optio W90 is considered by many reviewers to be the highest in its class.
How many other cameras can do this?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhbCviETMPE[/YT]
12-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I voted for the K-x, K-r, K-5 and 645D. I have a clear conscience, I'm convinced these are class leaders. I abstained in the other categories due to insufficient information.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-20-2010 at 11:56 AM.
12-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I voted for lower taxes and Govt subsidised cameras for every citizen. That would make for a happy world.

Pentax should win Time mag's Person Of The Year too.

.R.
12-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Thanks for helping out... I bet a bunch of people were saying: Gee, I'm so confused - is this guy talking about the waterproof category?

The point remains: the picture quality coming out of the W90 is not up to the level of the class leaders.

Thanks again.

(BTW - the heading for that class is missing from the picture in the post that started the forum.)
12-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WideOpen Quote
Thanks for helping out... I bet a bunch of people were saying: Gee, I'm so confused - is this guy talking about the waterproof category?

The point remains: the picture quality coming out of the W90 is not up to the level of the class leaders.

Thanks again.

(BTW - the heading for that class is missing from the picture in the post that started the forum.)
But can the "class leaders" catch a Pike?
12-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

And it was only months ago that I last heard "That's a Pentax? I thought they went out of business".

2010 shall forever be known as the year everyone learned/realizes Pentax did not go out, and is not going out of business.
12-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But can the "class leaders" catch a Pike?
Well, it possibly doesn't have the best output, but I can definitely say that it is an alluring camera! Pun intended!

NaCl(ducks and runs away quick)H2O
12-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

haha the x100 kills it in the paper cameras category, that was easy to predict,