Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
If they somehow managed to actually do this, they would really need to introduce a third frame rate option. Just having 9.5 and 1.5 fps would be ridiculous. I think something like 9.5, 6, and 2.5 would be good. That would still leave it separate from the K-7 frame rates, for those few people trying to get the perfect speed for an action sequence shot. As it stands, I feel like they should release something in the middle through FW.
That would be great. Maybe my request in the firmwaresection for adjustable Lo-continous shooting is coming. Just set framerate with e-dial.

12-21-2010, 02:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i propose an editable floating point number from .1 to 9.5 I win :P
12-21-2010, 04:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

If this 9.5FPS rumor is true then it's almost certainly in the form of MLU in Live View mode.
12-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #19

I'd prefer some options to lossless RAW compression since 30 MB per file is a little much.

12-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

In sony SLT a55 the same sensor can make 10 fps so why not. But in LV mode as Asahiflex says
If it was in regular mirror flip mode, that would be incredible. Like doubling the number of RAW in buffer
12-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #21
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
OK.

* I heard elsewhere that low-light AF will be improved.

* And some have been suggesting that errors in P-TTL using bounce flash will have a software solution. Sometime.

Next?
So did I - low-light AF and flash fix, nothing about 9.5 fps...I don't see any sense to say honest.
12-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
9.5 FPS RAW (this will push the capabality of K-5)
This does not sound mechanically feasible to me. The only camera that does this kind of machine gun shooting is Sony A55, but it has no moving mirror. If this uber feature will be limited to LiveView shooting only (bring the mirror up and keep it there until done), it is going to practically defeat the SLR flavor of the camera. But then again modern cameras are full of bells and whistles that are there mainly for forum boasting and spec measuring (additional suffix omitted though intended), so who knows...

12-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
This does not sound mechanically feasible to me. The only camera that does this kind of machine gun shooting is Sony A55, but it has no moving mirror. If this uber feature will be limited to LiveView shooting only (bring the mirror up and keep it there until done), it is going to practically defeat the SLR flavor of the camera. But then again modern cameras are full of bells and whistles that are there mainly for forum boasting and spec measuring (additional suffix omitted though intended), so who knows...
Just remember that even the older Canon 1D MKIII could manage 10 FPS on its shutter. The 1D MKIV can do this (albeit at 16 MP vs. 10 MP on the MKIII). Nikon's D3X can manage 9. There are cameras whose shutters and mirrors can manage that frame rate mechanically.

EDIT: The K5 would have to have a higher spec shutter and mirror assembly to manage that trick. However, it would also have to have the necessary electronics to handle the increased data throughput of 9.5 FPS vs. 5.2 FPS. That's like double the throughput.

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 12-21-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Did not want to double post
12-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
However, it would also have to have the necessary electronics to handle the increased data throughput of 9.5 FPS vs. 5.2 FPS. That's like double the throughput.
The K-5 does 7 fps.
12-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
i propose an editable floating point number from .1 to 9.5 I win :P
I concede.

Let's nail this down. How many significant digits to the right of the decimal point??

And while we're discussing these capabilities, we need to remember that we've been using the roughly the same imaging engine for quite a while - as the image sizes continued to grow, requiring yet more cycles for processing.

My prediction elsewhere on PF is that we will see a replacement for/enhancement of the PRIME II. As Falk noted in September, that may well be the barrier to higher frame rates in video as well as other capabilities, e.g., Sony's "Steady Night Shot".
12-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Hello Pentaxians,

Just bought a K-5 recently. I heard the next firmware update will push K-5 to its limits.
  • Update for SDXC (already known)
  • 9.5 FPS RAW (this will push the capabality of K-5)

I heard by January 2011 the update will start.

Maybe some of you knows anything about the update, you can add what you know.

cheers.

Kenneth
I tend to think that it is within the realm of possibility.
12-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
And while we're discussing these capabilities, we need to remember that we've been using the roughly the same imaging engine for quite a while - as the image sizes continued to grow, requiring yet more cycles for processing.
Well that is my wish in the Dear Pentax section. Develop a new PRIME III processor to speed up things. It is already taking away possibilitys with the K-5 but certainly the 645D is a little slow.

But to be hounest, that is for future camera's and we may not see it in 2011 (on our full frame). You probably also need a new battery to give the power. Hoya is very wise in not spending money on things that are not escential to image quality.
12-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #28

Hmmm...

If this is true (and, I don't believe that it is)...

But if so, then maybe my little conspiracy theory I came up with when they increased the buffer might have some merit.

Pentax creates by far the best aps-c camera ever made but doesn't feel they can price it as high as it should be against Canikon, and, get the number of sales they'd like. So, now they are forced to sell it at a lower price, but, still want to profit off their achievement more (as they should). So, they cripple the camera in several key ways through firmware, and as the price begins to fall they release firmware updates that un-cripple a feature. This in turn keeps the camera in the spotlight and drives a consistently high demand. Now they can regulate supply to keep prices high without decreasing sales. Unfortunately, Nikon releases their camera at a much lower price and Pentax has to release their first update earlier than they wanted. It would be an extremely bold move, and, sheer genius if it worked.
12-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I tend to think that it is within the realm of possibility.
And Benji's Magic 8 Ball has spoken. Cue dramatic music
12-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They need a faster storage medium - but a replacement to SD that uses SATA is in the works...