Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
EDIT: The K5 would have to have a higher spec shutter and mirror assembly to manage that trick. However, it would also have to have the necessary electronics to handle the increased data throughput of 9.5 FPS vs. 5.2 FPS. That's like double the throughput.
That's exactly my point. K5 wasn't built mechanically to provide such capabilities. It does not seem possible to achieve 9.5 FPS by mere firmware upgrade.

12-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
its also impossible to add more memory to the K-5 and increase the buffer size with firmware, but they did it :P
12-22-2010, 02:45 AM   #33
Site Supporter

WerTicus, when K-5 came out it also became known that programmers rushed things a bit and in fact the original firmware was in a sense defective. It is not that they added memory to buffer, they rather removed the illogical limitation of the initial firmware.
12-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #34
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
its also impossible to add more memory to the K-5 and increase the buffer size with firmware, but they did it :P
do you know any camera in the world which made faster by firmware?

to make bigger buffer by firmware is well-known trick, but to make more fps - there are some limitations - processor, sensor read-out speed, shutter possibility, mirror work and circuit technology of already made camera.

12-22-2010, 04:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

maybe 9.5 with a grip?
12-22-2010, 05:24 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
maybe 9.5 with a grip?
The grip does nothing. The camera only uses one battery at a time, so it is either using the grip battery or the camera body battery, not both at once. The only way I could see it happening is if there were some type of electronic shutter that did not require the use of the mechanical shutter.
12-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Well, 9.5fps with liveview could be possible, if the sensor is able to work this fast (as is seemingly hinted at by the specs of the a55)...
Buffer size would be the same, I think, maybe 2-3 images less...
12-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
to make bigger buffer by firmware is well-known trick, but to make more fps - there are some limitations - processor, sensor read-out speed, shutter possibility, mirror work and circuit technology of already made camera.
Well the PRIME II processor is definately faster then the one inside Sony's A55 or Nex-5. So it's also a way of handling things, to fill up the buffer at higher speed. Making 30 jpeg's in 3 seconds should be one way to achieve this new feature.

12-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #39
Forum Member

didn't they make a firmware to update K-5 to FF???
12-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
That's exactly my point. K5 wasn't built mechanically to provide such capabilities. It does not seem possible to achieve 9.5 FPS by mere firmware upgrade.
Actually I was thinking that if the K5 was built with a shutter that can handle 9.5 FPS, and the electronics were originally designed to handle the throughput from the additional 2.5 FPS then why limit it to "only" 7 FPS in the initial release? Why would Pentax do such a thing? Well, we'll see what the next firmware actually does. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of head scratching if it actually does bump the FPS to 9.5. That would put it nearly on par with the 1D MKIV in terms of frame rate and resolution.
12-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #41
TAP

QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
didn't they make a firmware to update K-5 to FF???
hahaha +1
12-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Well, we'll see what the next firmware actually does. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of head scratching if it actually does bump the FPS to 9.5. That would put it nearly on par with the 1D MKIV in terms of frame rate and resolution.
Indeed. That would be most interesting if 9.5 fps come to be.
12-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 1shot Quote
So, they cripple the camera in several key ways through firmware, and as the price begins to fall they release firmware updates that un-cripple a feature. This in turn keeps the camera in the spotlight and drives a consistently high demand. Now they can regulate supply to keep prices high without decreasing sales. Unfortunately, Nikon releases their camera at a much lower price and Pentax has to release their first update earlier than they wanted. It would be an extremely bold move, and, sheer genius if it worked.
This sort of behaviour would lead, in the long term, to people avoiding Pentax cameras during their first n months on the market as everyone says, "the real camera will be released in a year". On the other hand, if they dedicate themselves to improvements that cascade back through the model history where applicable they'd really be adding value.
12-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
This sort of behaviour would lead, in the long term, to people avoiding Pentax cameras during their first n months on the market as everyone says, "the real camera will be released in a year". On the other hand, if they dedicate themselves to improvements that cascade back through the model history where applicable they'd really be adding value.
For me, I would buy the new model anyway and if Pentax happened to decide later that they could squeeze more performance out of the camera with a firmware update, then that would just be a really nice bonus... at least they are not releasing firmware that takes functionality away...

As far as upgrading the fps... it's really down to the what the hardware is truly capable of... it may or may not be the case that Pentax decided to release a stable firmware on launch... then once they are ready with a version that is stable and allows for higher fps, they could release it ...
12-24-2010, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I agree that this would be one of the possible results, which is why I said it would be an extremely bold move. The other risk is that if they cripple it to much, some may go with a competitor, who would have gone with Pentax had the full capabilities been known. The trick would be to make it look like they were just continuing to develop the product further. The opposite result is also possible. For example, the K5 was an excellent camera even with firmware v1.0, and many bought it. Then, those who were happy enough with the camera to buy it the way it was got a bonus. If this firmware does actually increase the fps, without limiting it to live view, the price could potentially go back up to full price. The early adopters now have had their camera longer, and received two unexpected bonuses, and paid the same as someone who just recently bought the camera. I for one would be willing to buy the camera sooner if I felt like I wouldn't get it for a better price by simply waiting a short time. So, by keeping the prices high, they could encourage many customers to buy sooner rather than later. Those who will wait for lower prices will still get their camera, they'll just have to wait a little longer. In the end though this is just a conspiracy theory born in the speculative recesses of my own mind, and based on rumors I find unlikely to be true. It's kind of fun to speculate though, which seams to be a favorite pass time around here.