Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi there

I own a Tamron 18-250mm Di II lens myself and judging by the photo on the link that 'thibs' posted, it looks at first glance to be EXACTLY the same lens.
Apart from the obvious re-badging, it has an identical 'lock' to prevent 'lens-creep' and a very similar type of lens-hood etc.

Best regards
Richard
Yes, I did the same thing. This is a rebranded Tamron 18-250, or Pentax will face a law suite from Tamron.
And I as well, as most owners are (see other postings), am pleased with my lens.

- Bert

09-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
1/ most other (except maybe Canon as usual) do source some lenses from 3rd party manufacturer. Specially Sony, not even sure they still design lenses lol
Yes Nikon did/does too
Yes. For low-end consumer lenses, like this one. For high-end lenses, like the DA* ones, Canon, Nikon and Pentax have traditionally designed their own. Go back a few years for an example... yes there was previously a Cosina-made f/3.5 macro lens... but there was also a f/2.8 Pentax macro lens if you wanted a real Pentax lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
2/ You seem not wanting to accept what people say about the deal (yes, well informed people) the whole majority of lenses which were designated in collaboration with Tokina come from an Optical Blue Print from Pentax. The 12-24 is from Tokina and if I rememeber well the DFA100 macro as well. ALL the others are Pentax designs AFAIK.
But then you won't beleive it I suppose since you decided to think they were all Tokina.
Fair enough... please tell me, who are these well-informed people? What are their sources? But of course, they are under NDA, they will be assassinated if they provide a shred of evidence even slightly supporting the argument

Please read my post again... I did not say Tokina definitely designed the lenses. I referred to "Pentax/Tokina collaborations in which it's not at all clear that Pentax is actually designing any optics"... "Not at all clear", not "Obviously not the case"... so please do make it clear, or at least a tiny bit less foggy. I'm not trying to convince you that Pentax had Tokina design their lenses for them... I'm just asking for a single convincing link or quote to support your belief that the opposite is true.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 09-30-2007 at 01:49 PM.
09-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ask Joseph Tainter on Dpr Forums. Oh and Richer Day should be able toconfirm this.
I doubt Ned Bunnel is allowed to say anything but I'm sure he'd try to be helpful.
09-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Thanks, I will ask them... I tend to avoid DPR so I admit I do not know how well informed Joseph Tainter or Richer Day are... judging from the PDML, clearly Mr. Tainter is enthusiastic about Pentax, which I'm not sure is the same as well informed... but I will ask.

Honestly I don't mean this as an anti-Pentax thing at all. In fact it is the opposite. If I am inclined to believe that Tokina may have played a significant hand in the optical design of the DA* lenses, it is partly because I expect Pentax to be capable of turning out even better ones. I don't believe for a second that Pentax lack the knowledge or ability to design fantastic high-end lenses... I just wonder if the current situation limits their budget for developing such products themselves (and suspect that this will only intensify with Hoya holding the purse strings tight rather than allowing Pentax to prove what they are capable of).

Last edited by ZaphodB; 09-30-2007 at 01:48 PM.
09-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

not something I am interested in, but it always reassuring to see new products and responding to consumer demands / needs.
09-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

this morning you saw it, now you don't. As mysteriously as the page appeared it now seems to have vanished.......
09-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
this morning you saw it, now you don't. As mysteriously as the page appeared it now seems to have vanished.......
It's probably one of those leaks that's prevalent in the world wide web. Even Sony had their share of leaks (most recently being their new DSLR).

Now whether this is intended or not (sort of like a teaser), is the question.

Personally, I really don't mind that the lens is rebadged, as I'm happy to see some semblance of life out of Pentax post-Hoya merger. Up until now, the recent releases from Pentax were products already developed before the merger.

Overall, it's a good move. It caters to people buying lower-end DSLRs (which makes up most of DSLR sales), builds a stronger relationship with a third-party manufacturer (maybe we'll see that 17-50 2.8 in K-mount or a 70-200 2.8 somewhere down the road), and gives long-time Pentax users hope that the system itself isn't going down in flames just yet.

I don't know about the others, but I'm happy.
09-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Uhhh. Creepy.

I saw the lens on the pentax website too, early this afternoon.

"Damn intern", they must be shouting!

09-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Hi all

Now you see it, now you don'.......where the f***k did it go exactly....Mars or something ? I bet it's safely wrapped up snug and warm in their HQ PDQ by now.....must have been one of those mischievous little 'Pentax Pixies' up to no good again !

Best regards
Richard

Ah HA !.....So there you are, GOTCHA at last, my little beauty.....
Attached Images

Last edited by Confused; 10-01-2007 at 03:44 PM.
09-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Maybe we will also see the Tamron 180 macro arrive as a Pentax. SHUTTERBUG magazine had a review and said it was available in Pentax mount. It was listed on different sites for sale. Never have actually seen one to fit Pentax. Maybe this is why. Bound to happen now since my Pentax A*200 macro is paid for and on the way.
The 18-250 probably isn't meant to sell untill next year. Pentax dealers have already placed their main holiday orders. They never mentioned ordering this lens then.
thanks
barondla
09-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Maybe we will also see the Tamron 180 macro arrive as a Pentax. SHUTTERBUG magazine had a review and said it was available in Pentax mount. It was listed on different sites for sale. Never have actually seen one to fit Pentax. Maybe this is why. Bound to happen now since my Pentax A*200 macro is paid for and on the way.
The 18-250 probably isn't meant to sell untill next year. Pentax dealers have already placed their main holiday orders. They never mentioned ordering this lens then.
thanks
barondla
There is something to be said about not catching the dealers off sides.
Judging from what I see on Ebay (herds of new non super K100's) a number of dealers were caught off sides with old stock on their hands when the Super model suddenly appeared to work with SDM.

Pentax put out the 'roadmap' last spring to try to reassure camera body buyers that there would be something to attach to the lens mount but now it looks like things have changed.

they need to do anything they can to get lenes out the door that work on the bodies. It seems to me that uncermonioiusly dumping all of the FA series when there was nothing with which to replace them was an horrible error.
they have the shorter focal lengths pretty well covered, but long primes
are not covered it would have made more sense to phase out the FA's as
DA's became available to replace them.

For me it isn't a big deal because I have a 25 year accumulation of Pentax lenses and I chose the Pentax digital body because it would work with the lenses I already owned, but to live on Pentax needs to sell to folks who do not already have a closet full of K mount equipment which means they need to off a full family of lens options or else do what they have to do to get 3rd party manufacturers to support their lens mount.
09-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Uhhh. Creepy.

I saw the lens on the pentax website too, early this afternoon.

"Damn intern", they must be shouting!
Nah, this was totally on purpose. Wonderfully viral. Right now we're all huddled around our computers providing google keyword fodder, aren't we?
09-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have talked with the local Pentax Sales Rep who confirmed that "Pentax is purchasing the Tamron barrel and Pentax is building the lens around that barrel (our SMC optics and electronics)." He also stated that "there was a decision to shift production to a new 18-200 lens which should be out within 30 days." (given in response to my question as to why we'd not seen the new DA* 200 and 300 lenses) Note that he did say 18-200 in this one, but later confirmed that it was indeed an 18-250. He also stated that the DA* primes are being held back in favor for this new lens for the holiday season and we should get an official release on the DA*'s on the 23rd of January.
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

For those of you who missed the leak, thank god for Google Cache!

Pentax Imaging: smc DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL(IF) - <b style="color:black;background-color:#ff9999">DA</b> - <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Zoom</b> - <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">Digital</b> & <b style="color:bl

Anyways Pentax has worked with Tamron in the past (FA28-105, FA28-200) so hopefully this will be a good collab as well.
10-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #30

Not that I have any reason to think this, but as a prior Minolta 7d owner, there was an interesting shift to 3rd party lenses rebadged just before Minolta went down and sold the mount and other technology to Sony. There were very similar problems going on with lack of availability of prior "full frame" mount minolta lenses, as most were out of production. Also, at the very end when Minolta was struggling to get their camera's out the door and fix numerous bugs and problems with them, they shifted to a slurry of rebadged tamrons for lens options for their lens mounts.

I really like the 7d as a camera design, and thought it was pretty revolutionary in it's features and controls. However, total lack of available lenses and accessories finally led me to sell it just before they closed up shop and sold to Sony.

The one things I think that help Pentax are the number of good digital body options, the existing DA lenses available in fairly good supply (pentax DAs, not rebadged), and the picture output we all love from our Pentax cameras. In the case of Pentax, I think selectively rebadging some well liked lenses can be a good thing to help their camera system survive and return to profitability, provided they make the proper moves along the way.

My guess is that we will see pentax drop all of their non-essential research and development projects that may be draining money and focus on core development items. They will probably stick to their roadmap as closely as possible, as this gets them the most bang for their buck since most of the roadmap lenses would be fairly unique and give pentax even more differentiation over the other brands.

Just my opinions though after reading this and other threads in this section.