Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2007, 07:12 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Many interesting thoughts in this tread. Like the previous writer I think selective re badging might be a positive thing. But personally I am just happy to see lenses coming out. I just wish that they were more easily available in northern Europe then what they are right now.

10-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #32
Forum Member

So happy to have seen this! Was about to deposit just rcv'd rebate check from K10D and order the 55-200mm (not as that would still be a bad thing to do ... LBA?), but will now wait for this one instead. Seems everyone is jumping on the 18-2xxmm bandwagon since Nikon put thiers out (which, IMO, is overhyped, over-rated, and very over priced. Thier newer 50-200mm VR is a much better lens, sharp as a tack, and a helluva lot cheaper!!). Any clues as to a release date yet? I want it and I want it NOW!!! Any sellers taking pre-orders?
10-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
I have talked with the local Pentax Sales Rep who confirmed that "Pentax is purchasing the Tamron barrel and Pentax is building the lens around that barrel (our SMC optics and electronics)." He also stated that "there was a decision to shift production to a new 18-200 lens which should be out within 30 days." (given in response to my question as to why we'd not seen the new DA* 200 and 300 lenses)
This is an example of why I am always suspicious of "news" even from "informed" sources like sales reps, unless it comes in clear terms in an official announcement. Pentax is buying the barrel but building the lens around it? I do find this hard to believe... since Pentax have, to the best of my knowledge, not previously designed such a superzoom (but have previously rebadged Tamrons!), and so far the specs of the lens seem basically identical to the Tamron... it just seems incredibly unlikely to me that they can suddenly come up with such an optical design (and it is sudden, not being on any roadmap or previously mentioned at all) and yet have to pay someone else for the barrel...

... my guess is that they are pretty much buying the whole thing from Tamron, putting it in a new shell with their own electronics and simply adding Pentax coatings... otherwise optically I can't see how it can be anything other than the Tamron.

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
Note that he did say 18-200 in this one, but later confirmed that it was indeed an 18-250. He also stated that the DA* primes are being held back in favor for this new lens for the holiday season and we should get an official release on the DA*'s on the 23rd of January.
Now that is truly good news (if it is true). I can certainly go Christmas and the New Year without a good long lens, as long as I am confident there is a chance I can eventually buy one. I just hope that 23rd January is the official release date, and not the date at which they announce that at some point we may see the lenses
10-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I see no problem with that, they buy the optical formula but manufactures the whole thing themselves.

No compatibility problem, aesthetic looking like other Pentax lenses and SMC on top of it. Where's the problem?

10-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #35

Here is a suggestion for our EU friends

Use the forum or friends on the forum from the US to buy the lenses and ask them to ship it to you. I do the same coz its so expensive to buy stuff here in India. I have it shipped to folks in the US and somebody gets it here.

Tasha
10-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
This is an example of why I am always suspicious of "news" even from "informed" sources like sales reps, unless it comes in clear terms in an official announcement. Pentax is buying the barrel but building the lens around it? I do find this hard to believe... since Pentax have, to the best of my knowledge, not previously designed such a superzoom (but have previously rebadged Tamrons!), and so far the specs of the lens seem basically identical to the Tamron... it just seems incredibly unlikely to me that they can suddenly come up with such an optical design (and it is sudden, not being on any roadmap or previously mentioned at all) and yet have to pay someone else for the barrel...

... my guess is that they are pretty much buying the whole thing from Tamron, putting it in a new shell with their own electronics and simply adding Pentax coatings... otherwise optically I can't see how it can be anything other than the Tamron.

Now that is truly good news (if it is true). I can certainly go Christmas and the New Year without a good long lens, as long as I am confident there is a chance I can eventually buy one. I just hope that 23rd January is the official release date, and not the date at which they announce that at some point we may see the lenses
Now remember "building the lens around" is a real ...loose...term....
The optical furmula (rights purchased by Pentax) may be the same but add SMC, some motors, driveshaft ect and buy the elements from HOYA not Tamron (think they still do their own glass) and you get exactly what was said..... I usually have little faith in sales reps and except for the "website phantom page" would not have really taken it too serious....
Either description is correct AFAICT....stretching the truth a bit????
EDIT: Yep they still make their own glass:
NAMIOKA MAIN LENS PROCESSING PLANT
Factory Tour, Tamron USA

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-01-2007 at 11:41 AM.
10-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #37

Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3: Digital Photography Review its announced
10-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Or from Pentax
Pentax Imaging - Pentax Press Release

Pentax Imaging: smc P-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL(IF) - DA - Zoom - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

10-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #39
Veteran Member

And no mention of how it focuses, USM or shaft drive???? Don't they know???/
(sorry ) Let me guess, shaft drive.....
10-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
And no mention of how it focuses, USM or shaft drive???? Don't they know???/
(sorry ) Let me guess, shaft drive.....
And no Quick-shift focus mechanism...

So, in this rebadge the only thing Pentax has changed is appearance of the lens...
10-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Pentax is buying the barrel but building the lens around it? I do find this hard to believe... putting it in a new shell with their own electronics and simply adding Pentax coatings..

How does Pentax say they are just buying the barrel, putting their own stuff in it, and make the specific decision to not give us one of their best features - quick shift focus override??

Its better for them to at least continue to offer the same level of features if they can't give us more - rather than always finding a way to give us less.

Where's the 18-135 f3.5 kit lens with SDM comparable to Nikon's (they sell at ~$260)?
10-02-2007, 06:37 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Man, they didn't even modify it enough to give it a 67mm filter thread. It still has the Tamron-esque 62mm.

Now I need to buy a set of 62mm filters, in addition to the "standard" 49mm, 58mm, and 67mm? Hooray.

Maybe I'll protest by not buying Hoya filters...except if I don't give them my money, will we EVER get those sweet DA* primes?
10-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Man, they didn't even modify it enough to give it a 67mm filter thread. It still has the Tamron-esque 62mm.

Now I need to buy a set of 62mm filters, in addition to the "standard" 49mm, 58mm, and 67mm? Hooray.

Maybe I'll protest by not buying Hoya filters...except if I don't give them my money, will we EVER get those sweet DA* primes?
Step up ring?
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #44
Not Registered

The lens is in Amazon already. They say it would ship 3-5 weeks from now.
10-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #45
Veteran Member

does it at least get the SMC coating?