Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #76

got an email from pentax in sweden, where they anounced this lens..

the question is how much cheaper the original tamron will be

10-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #77
Inactive Account

Hi again

Re Miserere's earlier comment:

QuoteQuote:
I have the 18-55mm and 50-200mm pair, and regularly lose shots because I don't have the appropriate lens on the body at that time. Just because I have it in my bag, doesn't mean that special bird is going to wait for me to change lenses. Also, if I'm anywhere near the sea, I don't want to change lenses; airborne sand and salt, and high humidity are not what cameras like.
....which sums-up precisely why I chose to purchase the K10D body separately sans kit-lens and then add the Tamron 18-250mm Di II zoom as an ideal all-round travel lens. To supplement this, I'm currently waiting patiently to obtain the Sigma 10-20mm from a fresh consignment, as unfortunately the UK importers suffered TWO major break-ins recently at their Hertfordshire warehouse and lost a LOT of stock as a result !
To be honest, I'm actually getting rather hacked-off by this continuous pseudo 'Tamron-bashing', mostly by people who appear never to have actually used the damned thing ! I've owned both Olympus OM 35mm & Mamiya 645 medium format equipment for many years prior to buying this K10D DSLR, so take it from me that if I had had ANY doubts whatsoever whether the Tamron 18-250mm lens was incapable of resolving sharp images, I wouldn't have touched it with the proverbial 'barge-pole'.
The fact that Pentoya have seen fit to obtain the rights to manufacture this lens should be regarded as a positive move and subsequent usage has proved that there is no substitute for real hands-on experience.
Potential customers who believe that considering the Tamron 18-250mm is somehow beneath their dignity and possibly inferior to their more expensive DA glass really shouldn't care, as they probably wouldn't be interested in buying this lens in the first place !!!
May I tactfully appeal to the individuals who've never tried an 18-250mm to please LAY-OFF criticising it, OK !!!

Best regards (retiring defensively with slightly bruised feelings !)
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 10-11-2007 at 02:57 PM.
10-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #78
Inactive Account

Confused... apologies if you were offended. It's not personal. No-one is attempting to criticise you for using a superzoom. Nor is it anti-Tamron. In fact I have seen very few negative responses which purely criticise the lens itself. No, most of the criticisms were in response to the fact that Pentoya have only rebadged a Tamron lens (which by the way you can already buy for Pentax mount anyway!), while also releasing absolutely no other new lenses, including those which according to the roadmap we should already be seeing. If they released the 18-250 along with some other Pentax lenses, especially the long fast lenses which many of us want (and for which there is currently no third-party solution, unlike the superzoom), then we would not be seeing these criticisms.
10-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #79
Inactive Account

Hi ZaphodB

Nah, no offence taken 'old boy' ! We Brits are generally pretty thick-skinned, but perhaps you should take a quick look at the following post. However it may be advisable to wear dark glasses when doing so ! Just don't say you weren't warned......

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-releases/13173-pentax-news-so...ng-really.html

Best regards
Richard

10-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
This lens is coming from Tamron. Articles are in Japanese but they report on the speculation of Tamron buying the Pentax camera division. The new reported name will be Tampax.
I think I might have peed myself a little

Last edited by Miserere; 10-12-2007 at 09:27 AM.
10-12-2007, 12:06 AM   #81
Inactive Account

Hi Miserere

Don't worry sunshine, there's no need to feel 'Miserable' because this kind of thing often affects budding photographers from time to time, as well as citizens of a certain age, if you catch my drift !
I'll just pass you over a box of tissues if you'd like, but please ensure that it doesn't happen again in polite company, O.K....LOL !

Dampest regards,
Richard
10-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Pentax not alone

It seems that Pentax is not the only company OEM-ing this Tamron lens.
See: SonyStyle.com | Sony | DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens

- Bert
10-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
It seems that Pentax is not the only company OEM-ing this Tamron lens.
See: SonyStyle.com | Sony | DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens

- Bert
Yeah this was known already to most AFAICT

10-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Interesting discussion. I'll also be in line to buy one. Sounds like just the sort of lens of which I can make a good deal of use. We travel a lot and this would be such a benefit to us. As for the possibility of Pentax going under, who can say? It's just a lot of speculation and as such it doesn't really concern me. And if that "were" the case, life goes on. What I have will serve me for years to come and in the event that something goes wrong, then I shift gears and go in a different direction. However, until there is substantive evidence to the contrary (and as yet there is none), I'm not losing any sleep over any of this.
10-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #85
Inactive Account

James... glad to see you will continue to support Pentax (and Tamron) by buying this lens. Regarding the possibility of Pentax going under, your response is quite a common and reasonable one - we don't know, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was true, and the current gear would keep working.

But the reasons I disagree are as follows...

1) While we don't have any substantive evidence that Pentax will go under (they would hardly be eager to tell us if it were true!), nor do we have any evidence that they won't, and frankly such evidence should be forthcoming when the company is swallowed up by another whose intentions are not clear. Furthermore, a lack of activity (especially no news at all about roadmapped lenses), beyond re-badging thid-party equipment, is seen by some of us as potentially being evidence that the future might not be all that bright.

2) Yes, life goes on. But this is not a "Major world issues" forum, but a Pentax forum, therefore it is perfectly reasonable to treat the potential death of the company as quite a big deal here. And yes, the current gear will continue to work for some years... but imagine if we are left with only the current Pentax gear, and the technology offered by the competition continue to advance in leaps and bounds over that time (higher image quality, higher ISOs with better performance, etc), and not forgetting that the current system does not cover all needs anyway (long or fast teles anyone?)... then in that situation I suspect a lot of us would want to go elsewhere...

3) ... and here's the other problem... if we did then decide to go elsewhere, it wouldn't just be a case of "switching gears"... it would be a case of selling all our equipment at a very significant loss, unless there was a situation similar to Sony taking over from KM, which is by no means inevitable.

So while I'm not losing any sleep, I am continuing to lose patience with Pentax/Hoya
10-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #86
and
Veteran Member

Ned has posted some shots from the Pentax version on his blog NED BUNNELL
10-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Zaphod

Please understand that I appreciate what you are saying (and had already expressed in your previous post(s)). And I also understand the relevance of the discussion based upon the potential loss of Pentax.

I've been involved in photography for close to forty years now and have owned many fine slrs during that time. My loyalties were never to any one company. Thus I've owned several Minoltas, Canons and Nikons. My recent purchase of two Pentax k10ds is my first real venture into Pentax other than a older IQZoom that I still own. I simply mention this to illustrate my own feelings (and mine alone) relating to the possible demise of Pentax. I've "switched gears" before and I can do it again, even at a substantial loss. It's not a life and death situation. I will undoubtedly take a financial loss in that my gear will not command much of a price. I've been down this road before so it's not really such a big issue for me. Again, I'm speaking solely for myself and quite possibly I'm in the minority here. I just don't see it as a huge issue for the simple reason that it is beyond our control. And when something is beyond my control, I dismiss it from my thoughts and get on with other business. Why waste time and energy over things that cannot be changed?

I want to enjoy my new Pentax cameras. I'm not about to throw in the towel, dump them as quickly as possible and run to Canon or Nikon or Olympus in the hopes that none of them will fold. The fact is, no company is unsinkable. One has only to look at the American motor companies and their fate over the past several decades to see the truth of this statement.

Zaphod, I'm more optimistic about Pentax's future. Perhaps this is misplaced but as of today, there is no reason to believe that Pentax won't be around for many years to come. I choose to live in that hope rather than worry about its possible and imminent collapse. Call it the eternal optimist syndrome. lol

Anyway... peace, brother. Y'all have a good one and hang on to your primes!
10-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Ned has posted some shots from the Pentax version on his blog NED BUNNELL
Wow!!! Oh my! I want one of those. In fact, my wife will want one too so I suppose I should say, I want two of those. When we travel over to Maui and the Big Island, I hate carrying a load of photographic gear. Traveling with just my k10d and this zoom would be so much more convenient. Thanks for the link.
10-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #89
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
When we travel over to Maui and the Big Island...
You cannot imagine how much I envy you
10-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #90
Veteran Member

lol... your comment really caught me off guard. We try to go about once every other year. Last year it was Kwai. Can you believe that my wife had to practically force me to go the first time. I was bent, bound and determined to resist. When I stepped off the plane in Kona... I was telling her to start planning the next one.