Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #91
Inactive Account

James... thanks for that reply. That may well be the most logical and reasonable post I have ever seen on a camera forum. No, really. It's very rare that I see someone explain how they feel and why; usually there is more opinion presented as fact and people pursuing an agenda. In fact there are forums I no longer visit because they are populated by people who won't hear a single bad word against Pentax and will even launch into personal attacks rather than discuss things... this tends to make me a bit argumentative and probably more forceful than is necessary. So thanks, your post has had a very calming effect.

Personally I definitely agree with you in that I am in no hurry to run off to the other systems, none of whom impress me as consistently as Pentax do with the products that Pentax actually have (especially regarding value for money). I would be very very reluctant to switch, but if I had to do it then I would prefer to do so while the gear is still worth selling... let's just say that with my financial situation, a big loss selling might as well be a matter of life or death

I also agree there's really nothing we can do. If the company were going to collapse then we would definitely be the last to hear of it... firstly because Hoya/Pentax would obviously want to make every last penny before announcing it, and also because getting any information from optical companies seems to be about as easy as getting blood from a stone with a plastic spoon - sometimes you would think an office in Japan is in fact on the other side of the moon. But, if nothing else, I tend to keep asking questions and causing a fuss in the hope that someone "in the know" will bother to respond... this seems to have worked to some extent in that people whom Pentax trust with more info (Benjikan and others) have felt it necessary to reassure us of announcements in January. My hope is that if enough of us worry and complain it will eventually result in some official confirmations of Pentax (and Hoya's) intentions... but then to be honest I know I am being naive and the executives couldn't care less what people are saying on this forum. Still I have to try

One thing is for sure... with your philosophy (and your choice of holiday destinations) you will definitely live longer

Last edited by ZaphodB; 10-15-2007 at 04:02 PM.
10-16-2007, 12:31 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
James... thanks for that reply. That may well be the most logical and reasonable post I have ever seen on a camera forum. No, really. It's very rare that I see someone explain how they feel and why; usually there is more opinion presented as fact and people pursuing an agenda. In fact there are forums I no longer visit because they are populated by people who won't hear a single bad word against Pentax and will even launch into personal attacks rather than discuss things... this tends to make me a bit argumentative and probably more forceful than is necessary. So thanks, your post has had a very calming effect.
Why don't you write clearly DpReivew ?

I'm not (yet) to the point of not visiting DpReview anymore but I agree (you know that we talked about that already), DpReview is annoying to say the least. There are 4 kind of posts on that forum:
  1. I know everything, you don't
  2. Stop writing bad things about Pentax
  3. Clueless/dumb/idiot posts or very newbie posts (aggravated by the non-existant search function)
  4. Informative posts

Well that's how I see it. In fact Ihave nothing against newbie posts but on DPR, the crappy search function makes those very same subjects pop up every couple hours

I should lurk more here IMO
10-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #93
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
  1. I know everything, you don't
  2. Stop writing bad things about Pentax
  3. Clueless/dumb/idiot posts or very newbie posts (aggravated by the non-existant search function)
  4. Informative posts
I think that you have to add:
- I am thinking in jumping ship
- Oh my gosh, look-what-Canon-and-Nikon-made-it-is-going-to-be-the-end-of-the-world
- C&C of my pictures that have not been accepted in Pentax Photo Gallery
- And closely related to 1, my pixel is bigger than yours

10-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Original Poster
LOL yes indeed those are very valid addition to my list

10-16-2007, 06:22 AM   #95
Inactive Account

(post gone)

removed post.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 10-16-2007 at 07:00 AM.
10-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
It seems that Pentax is not the only company OEM-ing this Tamron lens.
See: SonyStyle.com | Sony | DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens

- Bert
Funny, they already had a 18-200 f3.5-6.3... must've been a Tamron copy too. And the 11-18.
10-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Removed post.

Last edited by ChrisA; 10-16-2007 at 08:00 AM.
10-16-2007, 06:45 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Minolta already did rebadge quite a number of Tamron lenses.
Sony taking over Minolta did continue in the exact same line.
As Sony is (oh pure hazard ^^) a main shareholder of Tamron... I don't see why they would stop there ...

10-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #99

Amazon has changed the status of this lens from "Shipping within 3 to 5 weeks" to "In stock soon. Order now to get in line. First come, first served."
10-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #100
Inactive Account

... and add:
- gives unsolicited marketing advice to Pentax.

("Pentax MUST do" this or "MUST do" that in order to stay competitive)

The ones I always like run along the lines of "Pentax REALLY shot themselves in the foot by not ramping up production of their new *** fast enough to satisfy initial demand." (Pick any of: istD, K10D, 16-45, 16-50, 50-135 etc.)

In reality, ANY company would "shoot themselves in the foot" if they ramped up production for all us early adopters and then had warehouses of cameras or lenses manufactured by all this extra factory capacity sitting around, plus they would then have to lay off most of their workers ... but then again, maybe the attitude today is, "I don't give a hoot about someone ELSE'S living; I want my new lens NOW!"

The other one I would add is:
- criticizes Pentax for not upgrading their firmware with features THEY want, and want RIGHT NOW.

When I buy my new Chevy, I don't get mad at General Motors for not offering to install a Porsche engine in it for free six months later, nor does my Chevy suddenly get slower just because Porsche releases a new model. If I am some element of a discriminating shopper and I have some modicum of intelligence, I buy a camera (or a car) for the features it has NOW, not what they may have in the future. If the factory releases a brand new model a month later with more features for a cheaper price, I shrug my shoulders, think that that is life and move on. I don't get mad at the factory for, on one hand, not releasing new models fast enough and then on the other hand, releasing them TOO fast.
10-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #101
Inactive Account

Something no one has mentioned...

There is one thing in all of these posts that hasn't been mentioned. That is it doesn't matter if this is a re-badged Tamron with the SMC coatings or if Pentax bought the barrel and did everything else or any combination of this.

What does matter is that it is Pentax's name, reputation and warm fuzzy feelings of its customers that is at stake here. They really can't afford to put their name on a poor quality lens especially one for $500. Because even if it is a Tamron lens people that buy it and then find out it is trash are going to be looking to the company who's name is on the lens. That is Pentax not Tamron and even if they know it is a Tamron lens they are going to be thinking "Well, Pentax picked it so they picked a crappy lens" and they would still get blamed.

What I am hoping is that Pentax made a deal with Tamron for their 18-250 lens with the understanding that it would have the SMC coating (Tamron's does not) and it will meet Pentax's quality control and other similar specifications.

---

I just pre-ordered one from Amazon.com. I have the K10D with the 18-55 kit, 50-200, 10-17 fisheye and then 50mm f1.4. All have Pentax on them. The one Tamron I tried (28-300) was total crap even worse that I felt it should be for such a wide ranging lens. I like the 18-55 it is a very good lens for the $82 I paid for it. The 50-200 is just fantastic I got some great shots of an F16 at mach 1.5 at an air show recently thanks to it. However, I hate changing lenses. Yah, I know I have so many of them, well thats a catch 22, you can hate and still keep buying lenses. My problem is not that I wasn't happy with the 18-55 or the 50-200, it is just that I get tired of having to changes lenses every couple of minutes. If your someplace that is slow and mellow then you have the time to switch the lenses and not miss anything. But, I found a lot of times I had the 50-200 on the K10D and I just made do. Even though I wish I could have gotten out to 18mm I didn't bother changing the lens and so I got a picture of the subject but I did not get the photo I wanted. I am hoping that the 18-250 will be as good or maybe better than the 50-200 and I can have the best of both worlds.

I am by no means a novice when it comes to photography. I have had film cameras and have had digital cameras since 1990 (Logitech). However, I can appreciate something being convenient too.

The Little Green Blob
10-23-2007, 11:28 PM   #102

You got it right IMHO

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleGreenSnob Quote
There is one thing in all of these posts that hasn't been mentioned. That is it doesn't matter if this is a re-badged Tamron with the SMC coatings or if Pentax bought the barrel and did everything else or any combination of this.

What does matter is that it is Pentax's name, reputation and warm fuzzy feelings of its customers that is at stake here. They really can't afford to put their name on a poor quality lens especially one for $500. Because even if it is a Tamron lens people that buy it and then find out it is trash are going to be looking to the company who's name is on the lens. That is Pentax not Tamron and even if they know it is a Tamron lens they are going to be thinking "Well, Pentax picked it so they picked a crappy lens" and they would still get blamed.

What I am hoping is that Pentax made a deal with Tamron for their 18-250 lens with the understanding that it would have the SMC coating (Tamron's does not) and it will meet Pentax's quality control and other similar specifications.

The Little Green Blob
That is, in my mind the whole point.. are we such snobs that the brand Pentax governs in our mind the perception of quality, rather than the actual resulting images? Is this in fact 'Brandism'?

I have hear many times, on this and the other popular forum, that certain 'Pentax' manufactured and branded lenses are less than perfect, in some cases absolute garbage.. how can that be, they have the name Pentax on them? Is the new DA* 16-50 Perfect?

Who cares what brand it is, if the result is better then it is better... if it is worse it is worse, the name means nothing except as was said.. ' a warm fuzzy feeling...'.

I have had the Pentax 18-250 in my hands and have used it with much success for the past 3 months. I did not wait, I bought the first one I could get my hands on, and it is one of the best lenses I have ever seen. In my opinion, this lens has features that my SMC 50 1.4, the FA 31 AL 1.8 Limited lack. No it is not better compared to a prime, but it has the best IQ of it's class, and certainly is better IN MY OPINION and FROM EXTENSIVE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, than both of the Pentax DA kit lenses which I have since sold.

Oh sorry, this Pentax 18-250 I have has been rebadged as a Tamron, or.. is that the other way round. Oh and by the way, who says that SMC is better than Tamron's, do they not have a coating as well or is it bare glass?.

Most love the Sigma 17-70, but if it was as some say, to be rebadged as a Pentax lens would it be suddenly better?

Sorry for the rant, I just wish we could look at the results of the race rather than the way the winner ran. The way I look at it, kudos to Pentax for picking the best of the competition and rebadging it, I hope they do more of this.

Some pics that I think portray the quality of the 18-250 Lens.. whatever it is named. All were hand held and include full Exif.

Warship in Sydney Harbour showing the quality of the 250mm zoom.

Flowers at 250mm zoom (Plumbago), these were approx 8mm or 5/16" in dia.

Hibiscus, windy day 87mm and I focussed on the stamen, not the petals.

Bird - Noisy Miner at 250mm

Brisbane River - comparison of 18mm to 250mm range

Sorry, no brick walls... but I do have some architectural shots.

Phil
10-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I think Pentax's 18-250 will hold up. Anyone buying this lens would know beforehand not to expect prime-quality photos out of this, and there are many people who are already quite happy with older super-zoom lenses.

Catering to the common folk will help put some more coin in Pentax's pocket, which will go a long way towards R&D, marketing, etc.

As to Pentax possibly tarnishing their name with this lens, I doubt it. Tamron's version already has earned accolades. Besides, each camera manufacturer have had their own share of rebadged/not-so-good lenses. Even some of Canon's L lenses get some flak.

I wouldn't worry.
10-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Catering to the common folk will help put some more coin in Pentax's pocket, which will go a long way towards R&D, marketing, etc.
Ah yes... the "common" folk. That would be me! Just a common, ordinary guy who loves his hobby but has no delusions of grandeur.

Have you ever wondered at the striking images of Diane Arbus? Eugene Smith? Their lenses were not always the finest (particularly Arbus') but their images were unforgettable. I've known a few "elitist" types who had some of the finest German optics in their bags and yet their images were anything but fine. Really... quite ordinary.

Like I said, I'm just an ordinary "common" folksy guy. So bring on the 18-250mm and put some coin in Pentax's pocket.
10-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anyway if anybody think Pentax is the only one to rebadge lenses they are very wrong.

Even Leica rebadged Minolta lenses, bleh...