Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #361
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
It has advantages and disadvantages. Having several million focus points is good, for example. And that in turn lets you do better object tracking and other fancy tricks.
Object tracking? I won't count on it - mainly because contrast AF does not tell you which direction the AF should go.

But face detection - yes, this would make the P&S crowd happy :ugh:

Still, any AF is much much better than Oly's no-AF / mirror flip AF.

12-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Object tracking? I won't count on it - mainly because contrast AF does not tell you which direction the AF should go.

But face detection - yes, this would make the P&S crowd happy :ugh:

Still, any AF is much much better than Oly's no-AF / mirror flip AF.
Depending on the speed of the lens I would think a reasonable tracking/predictive focus could be accomplished with contrast detection. We have a lot more computing power in our cameras these days.

cheers,
Rick
12-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by windcapt1 Quote
This is the K20D, but I don't do Japanese.
Well, this is NOT K20D, and this is NOT Japanese.

This is from a Chinese web site. Actually, the author clearly stated that this was his "prediction" creation based on rumors. He did not try to pass this as leaked photos.

So nothing to see here.
12-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #364
Pentaxian

With contrast detection AF, the only way to find the "correct" focus is to move the lens until the maximum contrast is found. I don't see how this could work for anything but static subjects.
The phase detection AF system knows where the "correct" focus is without moving the lens.

12-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
With contrast detection AF, the only way to find the "correct" focus is to move the lens until the maximum contrast is found. I don't see how this could work for anything but static subjects.
The phase detection AF system knows where the "correct" focus is without moving the lens.
Perhaps you just need to carry it one step further and do a series of small AF steps in time to calculate how things are moving in 3 space.

cheers,
Rick
12-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #366
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Perhaps you just need to carry it one step further and do a series of small AF steps in time to calculate how things are moving in 3 space.

cheers,
Rick
And during this, your subjedt isn't even in sight anymore. It sould be very nice but I doubt its efficacity big time.
12-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And during this, your subjedt isn't even in sight anymore. It sould be very nice but I doubt its efficacity big time.
You obviously haven't seen the Konica-Minolta A2 in operation.

cheers,
Rick

12-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #368
Veteran Member

Face it, guys...

... we're just gonna have to wait until Pentax makes their formal announcement and releases the real pictures.

The people who know, ain't talkin'. The people who are talkin', don't know. Its as simple as that.

All this wild guessing about the specs and even the name of the camera, along with photoshopped pictures, is getting a bit ridiculous.

I sometimes think that there are a lot of people out there, whose hobby/profession is buying cameras, not taking pictures. I can't believe all the people who have bought a K10D or K100D Super within the last year, who are so anxious to go out and drop another couple of grand or so on a K20D (if that's what it will really be called).

I'm still trying to get the most out of my K10D.

Paul Noble
12-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #369
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
... we're just gonna have to wait until Pentax makes their formal announcement and releases the real pictures.

The people who know, ain't talkin'. The people who are talkin', don't know. Its as simple as that.

All this wild guessing about the specs and even the name of the camera, along with photoshopped pictures, is getting a bit ridiculous.

I sometimes think that there are a lot of people out there, whose hobby/profession is buying cameras, not taking pictures. I can't believe all the people who have bought a K10D or K100D Super within the last year, who are so anxious to go out and drop another couple of grand or so on a K20D (if that's what it will really be called).

I'm still trying to get the most out of my K10D.

Paul Noble
"That's Right"

Happy New Year

Ben
12-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #370

Happy New Year to all Pentaxians!!

Happy New Year to you too Ben, I can not wait for January.. woohoo!!!

Pentax Rising....

Phil
12-31-2007, 02:27 AM   #371

The k20d do not have buttons there.

Happy new year to everybody.
12-31-2007, 02:54 AM   #372
Veteran Member

I own an *ist DS and I am still not sure that the extra features-abilities of K20 would justify a new purchase. However, if what plp told me is true, then I might go for it: 14MP with better DR and less noise than K10. But I still have my doubts since that doesn’t mean that the image quality will be extremely better than the one my DS can produce (well except the analysis of course which will allow me to make 30x45cm prints).
12-31-2007, 03:19 AM   #373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
You obviously haven't seen the Konica-Minolta A2 in operation.

cheers,
Rick
I have but I admit I played only a couple minutes with it and had a very bad impression, mostly because I was lost at the user interface and EVF

Some people love it, I hated it. Matter of taste I guess.

That would be funny: Pentax AF faster in contrast mode than in "normal" mode =D
12-31-2007, 04:17 AM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by windcapt1 Quote
This is the K20D, but I don't do Japanese

Obviously not. Otherwise you would have known that isn't Japanese; it's Chinese.
12-31-2007, 06:58 AM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I have but I admit I played only a couple minutes with it and had a very bad impression, mostly because I was lost at the user interface and EVF

Some people love it, I hated it. Matter of taste I guess.

That would be funny: Pentax AF faster in contrast mode than in "normal" mode =D
The A2 really shined in macro mode. You could lock down the camera on a tripod and then use the cursor control to move the focus point anywhere in the image. It's AFC and predictive focus worked well too after they got out the first firmware update. Perhaps you only saw the original release?

cheers,
Rick