Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I sincerely hope Pentax will survive but the owners of the Pentax Brand don't seem to be too optimistic about it.
I think what you mean is that a lot of people who post in Pentax forums don't seem to be too optimistic about it

That doesn't mean that:
a) They even own a Pentax camera
b) Even if they say they do, it doesn't mean they do
c) Perhaps they own only a body and kit lens, and hardly ever use it (and instead prefer to rant on forums about how the grass is greener on the other side)
d) There aren't a whole pile of happy Pentax owners who aren't worried, and are instead out enjoying their cameras.

I bought my K100D even after reading the doom and gloom, I've continued to buy equipment through the doom and gloom around the merger, and I will continue to use and enjoy, and buy more Pentax products.

The merger has cost Hoya a lot of money, yes, but you all forget they would have had detailed knowledge of Pentax's accounts before entering into this deal.

I'm not worried.

08-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I sincerely hope Pentax will survive but the owners of the Pentax Brand don't seem to be too optimistic about it.
They aren't? Where did they say this? All we really have is a financial statement showing that the cost of purchasing Pentax was a burden on their bottom line *for this year*. It really hasn't said anything negative about the long term viability of Pentax.

I have just received some inside information that is very good news about Hoya's plans for Pentax but I have a NDA. You can accept my word or not.

QuoteQuote:
If Hoya don't want new DSLR buyers to be nervous then it would be great if they would release some good news - perhaps even a statement that they are actually releasing the new promised lenses such as the 60-250, if they did this then maybe I could see they were serious about keeping the k mount body alive. Till then I can't justify spending money on K mount lenses, perhaps others are in the same boat as me.

These threads may not be informative but they exist because Hoya has left an information Vacuum.
08-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #408
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I have to say is...

PISH POSH!!!!
08-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #409
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
They aren't? Where did they say this? All we really have is a financial statement showing that the cost of purchasing Pentax was a burden on their bottom line *for this year*. It really hasn't said anything negative about the long term viability of Pentax.

I have just received some inside information that is very good news about Hoya's plans for Pentax but I have a NDA. You can accept my word or not.
Lance I remeber you from DPR and you have always been a voice of reason and I certainly respect your word.
I know it is fact that you would be in the know on certain elements of the R&D of Pentax.
SoI will accept your word and I will spring for a Pentax Flash and possibly a DA70mm as well this week.
I had already decided to hang on to the *istDS (the most underated camera in history) for another 12 months and start to build up the system with flashes & lenses.

I don't usually join the doom & gloom brigade (usually I am told I am a Pentax Fanboy) but the responses I was reading to the financial statement seemed quite damning.

08-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #410
Veteran Member

Interesting Lance. Maybe you should tell your "sources" that Hoya talking up the game may be in their best interest..............
Apparently Mr. Suzuki is a master of understatement............
And maybe fewer NDA's would actually be of benefit..........
08-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #411
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Closing, downsizing, etc etc?? True or not i, for one, will believe it only when I see it.
All you doomsdayers, if you want somewhere to store all your obsolete Pentax equipment when the sky falls, just send me a PM and I will give you my address
08-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #412
Veteran Member

Lance I remeber you from DPR and you have always been a voice of reason and I certainly respect your word.
I know it is fact that you would be in the know on certain elements of the R&D of Pentax.
SoI will accept your word and I will spring for a Pentax Flash and possibly a DA70mm as well this week.
I had already decided to hang on to the *istDS (the most underated camera in history) for another 12 months and start to build up the system with flashes & lenses.

I don't usually join the doom & gloom brigade (usually I am told I am a Pentax Fanboy) but the responses I was reading to the financial statement seemed quite damning.
Thank you for your response.

I hope I didn't come across as too harsh as it was definitely not meant to be a harsh reaction to your particular post, more a general response for all. However, I just wanted to clarify your point about Hoya's response to Pentax's not so fantastic profit for the quarter.

I think you have made a good choice with the DA70. A wonderful lens!

I do agree that the *ist D and DS had excellent image quality.
08-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #413
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Interesting Lance. Maybe you should tell your "sources" that Hoya talking up the game may be in their best interest..............
Apparently Mr. Suzuki is a master of understatement............
And maybe fewer NDA's would actually be of benefit..........
I am asking my particular sources about whether I can use any of the info I have in part or in full.

As far as I know, Japanese companies do not seem to work the way that most Western companies work and are more coy about their intentions, take them by surprise, as it were.

08-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #414
Veteran Member

So what's new, the same old doom and gloom predictions by the agent provocateur types lurking here designed to incite fear and anxiety against the backdrop of actual news.

I'm surprised the mods haven't locked up this thread as the intent is clearly to deliberately provoke by creating disdain over the future of Pentax.
08-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #415
Veteran Member

I think Pentax have been about to either collapse / go broke / get bought out (well now sold off by hoya) or release a FF camera every month for the entire 3-4 years I have been shooting pentax. The only thing as consistent is that they will do something that annoys ricehigh (a cheap shot I know )... Just a normal month for pentax?

(If you watch japanese anime (2 of my kids do) Tokyo gets attacked by aliens or evildoers or has a natural disaster at least once a week. One of these will surely wipe out pentax soon )
08-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #416
Pentaxian

In Dutch there's an expression that goes: Als de lucht invalt zijn alle vogels dood. Roughly translated that is: If the sky falls down all the birds will die.

We use it when someone uses too many very unlikely IF statements in a conversation. Basically it means whatever the other is hinting at will never happen.

So what if the sky is falling... all the birds will die... It will never happen...

Wim
08-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #417
Forum Member

It'd sure be swell if it had something to do with the immediate release of the 15mm DA Limited and DA* 60-250mm, as well as the announcement of the DA*11-16mm and DA Limited 10mm.

Will
08-14-2008, 03:09 AM   #418

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
(If you watch japanese anime (2 of my kids do) Tokyo gets attacked by aliens or evildoers or has a natural disaster at least once a week. One of these will surely wipe out pentax soon )
Don't think so: Samsung will soon enter in the super-giant robot market
08-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
08-14-2008, 04:55 AM   #420
Banned

QuoteQuote:

yea but the Korean super-giant robots will be outsourced and built by the Vietnamese or Filipinos, and wont be of the same quality as the Japanese built super-giant robots.