Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #121
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Long may the speculation continue!
Thanks for that Richard, now if I may make my small contribution -

At a news conference recently, reporters asked the Pentax Head of R&D if and when Pentax will come out with new bodies to compete with the likes of the Nikon D3 and D300. He is rumoured to have smiled and then drank two full glasses of water before leaving the room in a hurry. There was an uproar in the assembled crowd and everyone rushed to their laptops to type out in their blogs that Pentax would indeed be introducing new bodies (the chief smiled didn't he), there would be two of them (he did drink two glasses of water - it was going to be a challenge though) and it would be soon (he left the room very fast to continue working). Elsewhere, Pentax devotees are feverishly burning incense at temples, churches and some unmentionable places supposedly involve voodoo practices such as putting pins into dolls resembling high-ranking Pentax personnel for each passing day without an announcement. On a separate note, the number of Pentax senior officers requesting sick leave has been increasing by the day and is reportedly hampering the company's efforts to bring its two new bodies to the market. Hoya has hinted that rival companies have been engaging in industrial espionage and the black arts to steal its secrets and demotivate its developers (particularly its marketing department).

End of speculation

10-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It must be really fascinating for those in the know to read all the speculation about new bodies especially if you actually know what's coming and when!
Richard,
What makes you think anyone at Pentax is in the know? From what I've seen of their marketing department I wouldn't be surprised to find out they are in the dark as much as we are. I think the only people in the know are a few from Hoya and they aren't talking.

Regards,

Ken
10-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #123
Veteran Member

LOL @ VAV....that's too funny!

Let's hope their not releasing new stuff along the way, new web sites, etc just to close up shop....
10-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #124
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
LOL @ VAV....that's too funny!

Let's hope their not releasing new stuff along the way, new web sites, etc just to close up shop....
Fully agree with you Paul - humor aside, I am also waiting and watching along with almost everyone else on these forums...

10-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #125
Veteran Member

the patent describes a mechanism enabling live view through the viewfinder.

Specifically, a "not complex" method to view an optical or a digital image via thin film electroluminescent display applied directly to the viewfinder optics. Also includes a humerous side benefit to reduce "finder-view motion sickness".

What would the benefit of user selectable optical / digital live view be?
10-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #126
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
the patent describes a mechanism enabling live view through the viewfinder.

Specifically, a "not complex" method to view an optical or a digital image via thin film electroluminescent display applied directly to the viewfinder optics. Also includes a humerous side benefit to reduce "finder-view motion sickness".

What would the benefit of user selectable optical / digital live view be?
I guess if the transition was really fast then you could use that to eliminate viewfinder blackout when doing longer exposures and continuous shooting. Altho that minor improvement wouldnt make eanough difference to implement something like that. Another thing you could do is to offer the option of showing the previous image in the viewfinder for 1-2 seconds after you took it, so the photog doesnt have to take the camera off his eye to check the shot on the lcd. Altho thats not live view, come to think of it...

Well I guess the limited usability is why they havent actually implemented it.
10-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I doubt that link is true, but yea, the next camera, I really hope that it does more then 3fps. That is one of the reason why I didn't move to the K10D and still have the K100D. That and I don't have a lot of money.
Of course its true! It must be, because I bought my K10D today!

10-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Pentax Show

It must be really fascinating for those in the know to read all the speculation about new bodies especially if you actually know what's coming and when!

I almost feel it's a shame and a bit of a letdown that I don't, I would love to be in on the laughs they must be having in the R&D department. I can almost hear them now!

Let's tell 'em it's the Sony 12MP sensor but cheaper than a D80! Har! Har!

Actually, I know, let's tell 'em it's a new APS-C CMOS, but not the Sony! That will cause some real speculation!

No, no, let's tell 'em it's FF and 10 fps! Ho! Ho!

Long may the speculation continue!
Had a great day today at the Salon de la Photo. Was not Officially there. Will be there Officially from tomorrow.

Just one question. Why does everyone assume that the next generation Pentax will use a Sony sensor. Does someone know something that none of us else do?

10-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Hi,

everyone assumes Sony as every pentax dslr has a sony sensor and before the release of each one (including the ist D but especially the k10) there is a lot of talk of 'it won't have a sony sensor' often by people usually very reliable with info!

(but then my wife always says assume makes an ass out of u and me)

Phil

personally does it matter who makes the sensor as long as it works well.
10-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #130
Pentaxian

Because a Sony sensor is available, and it's an obvious choice. I mean, what else could they use? A Kodak? A Cypress? A sensor secretly developed by Samsung?
You talk like you know something that we don't. Do you?
10-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Back at you

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Had a great day today at the Salon de la Photo. Was not Officially there. Will be there Officially from tomorrow.

Just one question. Why does everyone assume that the next generation Pentax will use a Sony sensor. Does someone know something that none of us else do?

Not trying to be a wise guy here but just one question. Why do you assume there will be a next generation Pentax? Do you know something that none of us know?

Regards,

Ken

Last edited by regken; 10-05-2007 at 05:21 PM.
10-06-2007, 01:13 AM   #132
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Richard,
What makes you think anyone at Pentax is in the know? From what I've seen of their marketing department I wouldn't be surprised to find out they are in the dark as much as we are. I think the only people in the know are a few from Hoya and they aren't talking.

Regards,

Ken
There are definitely people in the know. Maybe even I know more than I can say?
10-06-2007, 01:36 AM   #133
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Because a Sony sensor is available, and it's an obvious choice. I mean, what else could they use? A Kodak? A Cypress? A sensor secretly developed by Samsung?
You talk like you know something that we don't. Do you?
Maybe I do and then maybe I don't?

I agree that if not a Sony, it's intriguing as to what will be used.

Kodak have just started doing CMOS sensors, the KAC-05011, News Release, they may be a possible supplier, Cypress have withdrawn their earlier APS-C CMOS sensor, currently they only have a FF 14MP CMOS sensor. Dalsa's only current CMOS is a VGA sensor. All the other sensors are CCD.

Samsung is an unknown possible source, but to date they have only ever produced small (and noisy) CMOS sensors, but they have made manufacturing licencing agreements with Sony in the past.

There is of course the possibility that the sensor used in the D2X may be available now that Nikon are dropping it in favour of the 12MP Sony FF sensor used in the D3.

Maybe Pentax have done a deal? Who knows?

Actually, I really have no idea. But what if it's true that it's not the Sony? That really does pose a very interesting question.

Come on folks, dig deep and keep up the speculation!
10-06-2007, 01:43 AM   #134
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Hi Ben,

For personal reasons, I haven't been able to come over to Paris. However Steve Jacob will see you there today (I believe), so you and he will be able to swap notes on what we both do and don't know!
10-06-2007, 04:14 AM   #135
sft

Hehe, quit teasing Richard

Well actually not interested in a new camera but since you do seem to have good relations with Pentax UK can you if possible get some info on a product we have known about for a while now - the DA*60-250? I know you're itching for this lens just like I am but what is going on? Is it still scehduled for late December release, is it Spring 08 now? Is it "God Forbid" on hold like the 645D, etc? Would greatly appreciate the info.