Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Expected at Las Vegas CES January 6-9 2011

Just checked the CES Exhibitors listing and found Pentax. See 2011 CES: Exhibitor Directory

Appears that Pentax will have a small both on the lower exhibit floor however they seem to have a lot of hospitality space at the Hilton.

If any of you are in Vegas check it out for us and give us a report. If you're lucky enough to get invited to the Hospitality Suite fantastic. Here are a few questions that you could ask Ned:

1. Ned give us an update on the sensor stain issue
2. What is the status of a formal release of the next firmware update. What will be included in the update.
3. Are you planning on any releases at CES?

Anyway, I'm sure fellow members of this forum can come up with more questions.

01-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax does not have a booth. The south hall is where tons of meeting rooms are located. Pentax has a small room there, probably for meeting with sellers/media on the floor. The hotel suites are usually invite-only.

I'm going to CES, but I doubt that I'll get invited to the Pentax suite.

- Jason
01-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If anyone goes, ask

1. New flashes preferably WR
2. Manual video controls

Don't ask crap about FA Limiteds and other useless questions.
01-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Without a booth I'm guessing the Evil announcement will not happen there (didn't think it would Cameras are really overlooked at CES it's a tool for the rest of CE, and Camera people are there really to meet and support vendors who will be there in any case

01-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
If anyone goes, ask

2. Manual video controls

+1

Lets hope against hope.

Does pentax have a track record of releasing new stuff at CES?
01-05-2011, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

in 2010 Pentax made no announcements, and the only significant camera was the NX10 from samsung, and the rest was point shoot compacts
in 2009 there were even less camera announcements Pentax announce the k2000 there and 2 compacts, the rest were also compacts
That being said usually PMA happens at this time as well and announcements of anything interesting were usually made there. PMA has moved to September this year to avoid the overlap and to provide a forum for announcements leading into the key christmas season (photokina which is every 2 years did that last September)
Last years PMA Canon didn't even go because of the overlap so that likely has more to do with the move to September. We may not be Canon fans here but there is no denying they are the biggest market influence right now
01-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If anyone goes, ask

2. Manual video controls

News about a WR flash would be most welcome, but how is asking about FA Limiteds a useless question? Everyone is different. To me any info about lenses, including the FA limiteds, is far more important than anything video related. I think I've put my K7 into video mode exactly one time; and that was just for curiosity reasons the day I got it.

For me the most pressing questions are all about their upcoming EVIL system. I want to know if I should just hang onto my K7 until it comes out, or sell it and buy Olympus's upcoming m4/3's pro-grade body when its released. I would love to know about sensor size, registration distance, time tables...yes, I know they are unlikely to divulge any info, but it sure would be nice to know.

01-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
News about a WR flash would be most welcome, but how is asking about FA Limiteds a useless question? Everyone is different. To me any info about lenses, including the FA limiteds, is far more important than anything video related. I think I've put my K7 into video mode exactly one time; and that was just for curiosity reasons the day I got it.

For me the most pressing questions are all about their upcoming EVIL system. I want to know if I should just hang onto my K7 until it comes out, or sell it and buy Olympus's upcoming m4/3's pro-grade body when its released. I would love to know about sensor size, registration distance, time tables...yes, I know they are unlikely to divulge any info, but it sure would be nice to know.
Pro grade 4/3? are you kidding me, the format is a joke IMHO. Why downgrade to a technically inferior system? I don't care how compact the lenses are or how cool the features are the sensor is tiny and cannot match APS-C or FF in any way shape or form.
01-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Sad news, but Oly's "Pro Grade" body is the E5, and it was released already. It will also probably be the last pro level DSLR in the 4/3rds format. If the rumours are to be believed, Olympus will now focus on M4/3rds cameras and get out of the DSLR game all together. The thing is, m4/3rds and pro do not belong in the same sentence. Every M4/3rds camera I have seen sucks at even moderate ISO and the DR is worse than even the K7 (and that says a lot).

Besides, 4/3rds, and micro 4/3rds were dead formats even before they got going. Everyone wants the cameras because they are small, but they don't have the IQ of a APS-C, and especially not a full frame DSLR. That is why everyone I know who has bought a M4/3rds camera has since either returned it right away, or sold it and upgraded.
01-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
Sad news, but Oly's "Pro Grade" body is the E5, and it was released already. It will also probably be the last pro level DSLR in the 4/3rds format. If the rumours are to be believed, Olympus will now focus on M4/3rds cameras and get out of the DSLR game all together. The thing is, m4/3rds and pro do not belong in the same sentence. Every M4/3rds camera I have seen sucks at even moderate ISO and the DR is worse than even the K7 (and that says a lot).

Besides, 4/3rds, and micro 4/3rds were dead formats even before they got going. Everyone wants the cameras because they are small, but they don't have the IQ of a APS-C, and especially not a full frame DSLR. That is why everyone I know who has bought a M4/3rds camera has since either returned it right away, or sold it and upgraded.
Olympus is not getting out of dSLR bodies. I think Canon pays a bunch of goobers to go around perpetuating stories.
01-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Pro grade 4/3? are you kidding me, the format is a joke IMHO. Why downgrade to a technically inferior system? I don't care how compact the lenses are or how cool the features are the sensor is tiny and cannot match APS-C or FF in any way shape or form.
The E-P1 is the best digital point and shoot I've ever owned. Its kind of cool with the A 50/1.2 on it also not to mention the DA 35 ltd and FA 77 ltd.
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Technically APS-C can't match full frame IQ either in high ISO or dynamic range, but that didn't stop Pentax from making the K-5 did it? In the right hands the 4/3's sensor is perfectly capable of delivering wonderful results. 3 years ago I would be concerned about 4/3's IQ, but no longer; and it's just going to keep improving. For more on the 4/3's sensors shortcomings visit here: Olympus - Top Photographers

That said, I prefer either APS-C for FF because I rarely use any focal length over 100mm's, which is why I'd like to know more about what Pentax has in store before I buy another PEN.

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
Sad news, but Oly's "Pro Grade" body is the E5, and it was released already. It will also probably be the last pro level DSLR in the 4/3rds format
According to 43rumors.com that's not entirely true. The rumor is the E-5 might be the last true E-system DSLR, but they are working on a modular camera that will allow users to use both E-System and PEN lenses by swapping out lens mounts. There are also plenty of rumors that Olympus is indeed working on a pro-grade/enthusiasts PEN with built in EVF, magnesium body, and full weather sealing. Which to me sounds like an absolutely perfect outdoors camera. Last I read it is expected to be announced late spring/early summer.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 01-05-2011 at 08:53 PM.
01-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Technically APS-C can't match full frame IQ either in high ISO or dynamic range, but that didn't stop Pentax from making the K-5 did it? In the right hands the 4/3's sensor is perfectly capable of delivering wonderful results. 3 years ago I would be concerned about 4/3's IQ, but no longer; and it's just going to keep improving. For more on the 4/3's sensors shortcomings visit here: Olympus - Top Photographers

That said, I prefer either APS-C for FF because I rarely use any focal length over 100mm's, which is why I'd like to know more about what Pentax has in store before I buy another PEN.

According to 43rumors.com that's not entirely true. The rumor is the E-5 might be the last true E-system DSLR, but they are working on a modular camera that will allow users to use both E-System and PEN lenses by swapping out lens mounts. There are also plenty of rumors that Olympus is indeed working on a pro-grade/enthusiasts PEN with built in EVF, magnesium body, and full weather sealing. Which to me sounds like an absolutely perfect outdoors camera. Last I read it is expected to be announced late spring/early summer.
The problem that both Pentax and Olympus have is that they are at the whims of sensor companies. Since they buy sensors from Sony and Panasonic, if there are new great sensors, then they can release cameras with improved image quality. Otherwise, they just release cameras with essentially the same sensor, but "improved functionality" (aka the kx to kr move).

My feeling is that both APS-C and 4-3rds are close to maximum performance and this does not bode well for the 18 month up date cycle that most camera companies have kept since the digital era began.
01-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

so far CES is holding true to it's normal camera announcements a slew of compacts and oly launched the much leaked ep-l2 and samsung the NX11 as CES or Pre CES models
nothing of any interest so far, but par for the course
65 cameras in total announced and nothing from pentax yet
01-06-2011, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem that both Pentax and Olympus have is that they are at the whims of sensor companies. Since they buy sensors from Sony and Panasonic, if there are new great sensors, then they can release cameras with improved image quality. Otherwise, they just release cameras with essentially the same sensor, but "improved functionality" (aka the kx to kr move).
That's not too big of a deal to me. At some point in the last two years 4/3's and APS-C both passed a quality threshold that is more than good enough for my needs. By all accounts the K-5 has an incredible new sensor in it, but I don't feel the urge to upgrade because my K-7 is good enough. It's great that sensors keep getting better and better, but I rarely get excited about a new sensor these days. New features or style of camera is the only thing that could make me upgrade at this point. If the next Pentax DSLR has a killer view finder with 1.2x magnification, perhaps that would spark my interest. Or a Pentax EVIL the size/shape of a Zeiss Ikon ZM would certainly make me pay attention, but as long as the camera I'm using has good ISO800 and decent ISO1600 with acceptable dynamic range then I am good to go. Currently every DSLR and EVIL on the market meets that criteria.