Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

New Firmware Officially Posted (1.02 K-5, 1.01 K-r and 645D)

Edit: Official firmware info and installation instructions:
Pentax K 5/K r/645D Firmware Updates Officially Released - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Couldn't see this posted anywhere yet:

Pentax released new firmware for K-5, K-r and 645D | Photo Rumors

Anyone know what it does?

01-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a duplicate (the firmware is still unofficial). My guess is SDXC.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5-k-5-ii/127942-firmware-v1-02-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That doesn't cover the K-r/645d though. Although if threads already exist for those then feel free to delete this.
01-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #4

How do i know what version of the firmware do i have in my camera?

Thanks

01-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by salgueiros Quote
How do i know what version of the firmware do i have in my camera?

Thanks
Pressing the "menu" button when you turn on your camera should work.
01-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dave m: hi randall.... there's been a firmware update 1.01 the the k-r.. however cant find the info as to what it fixes
from pentax usa...however cant find the update on their website... release must be imminent...
sounds kinky........
dave m: readme.txt : this document fwdc208b.bin : Firmware
Randall S: * Increases the number of continuous shot at RAW format and High sensitivity shooting.

* Ex. Setting condition: RAW/ISO100, Increases the number of continuous shot from maximum approx. 8 frames to approx. 20 frames.
* Improved stability for general performance such as exposure range on HyP mode
01-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't understand the last part of your post. fwdc208b.bin is a K-r firmware, but increasing the buffer from 8 to 20 frames was done in the v1.01, for the K-5 (file name: fwdc209b.bin).
Maybe Randall S. is mixing those? Most likely, he is talking about the only released firmware - assuming that's the one you're referring to?
Until the official release, I doubt he could offer more info, anyway.

01-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
V1.02 was just announced:

* Compatible with SDXC memory card. (Transfer rate is not compatible with UHS speed class)
* All ISO sensitivity setting can be used on Bulb mode.
* Improved functional sequence for Contrast AF and improved total speed until in focus.

*Contents of [Version 1.01] will be also updated.
01-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The announcement may be a bit difficult to read (apparently a poor Japanese to English translation), so I'll explain:

QuoteQuote:
* Compatible with SDXC memory card. (Transfer rate is not compatible with UHS speed class)
This delivers the promised SDXC support for the K-r and K-5. However, the camera cannot communicate with UHS cards (such as this Kingston card) at UHS-1 speeds, probably due to hardware limitations.

QuoteQuote:
* All ISO sensitivity setting can be used on Bulb mode.
The ISO 1600 limit on Bulb exposures is lifted, allowing all possible ISO sensitivity settings to be used in Bulb up to the camera's normal limit.

QuoteQuote:
* Improved functional sequence for Contrast AF and improved total speed until in focus.
Contrast detection AF algorithms have been improved, reducing the amount of time needed for the camera to focus in Live View.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 01-05-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: 645D not specified for SDXC
01-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
The contrast detection AF improvement is something significant to consider. Just how much faster is it? I have yet to install the new firmware; I am waiting for the battery to fully charge.

Update: I've installed the new firmware. Live View AF is now slightly faster and feels more responsive.

Last edited by bwDraco; 01-05-2011 at 09:45 PM.