Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
There are quite a few "mirrorless" cameras coming - Fuji X10, Oly XZ-1 etc.. It will be interesting what, if any, Pentax comes up with.
I don't think the term mirrorless could be applied to big sensor compacts. Sure, they are without mirror, but aren't they all?

01-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
Is there any data for Auto 110 register distance?
27mm according to Wikipedia:

Lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot exclusively with Auto 110 . . . .
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Is it possible that this rumor refers to a mirrorless camera with an APS-C sensor and interchangeable lenses, that is about the size and perhaps, superficially resembles the Auto 110, rather than a true dslr?

Many people have been pointing out, on this and other forums, that the frame size of the 110 camera was only slightly smaller than APS-C. Pentax already released the Auto 110 styled I10 point & shoot. Perhaps Pentax has listened and will try to cash in on the nostalgia.

I'm not sure I see the point, though. How many people, other than the diehard Pentax enthusiasts who populate these forums, really remember the Auto 110? How many remember it fondly? It wasn't one of Pentax's stellar sales performers. While it was very good, as 110 cameras go, it suffered from the poor reputation that 110 film could never shake.

If Pentax were, in fact, to make a dslr that was about the size of the Auto 110, it would really shake up the market. It would be a game-changer, not because it is remeniscent of the A110, but because it would be, by far, the smallest dslr on the market. Talk about a pocketable camera!

As you can see, I'm a little ambivalent on this subject. I like the size of my K10D. I've handled the K-x in a store and found it a little too small for my tastes. I actually own an Auto 110, so I know how that feels, as well. I probably won't buy either a tiny dslr or a tiny mirror-less non-dslr.

01-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #35
Banned

Well a nice little evil in the form and size of the 110 would be great. If lenses are as small that would be fantastic. I do see a market for it.
01-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is possible to make an EVIL camera (or a DSLR, for that matter) retaining the 110 mount, but some problems may arise in design.

Given the fact that the Auto 110 normally requires f/2.8 lenses (the diaphragm is in the camera body), PENTAX would need to engineer a camera that has an in-body diaphragm to retain compatibility with legacy 110 glass as well as lenses that have diaphragms themselves for greater flexibility. As such lenses would not be compatible with the old Auto 110, any such lenses would need to be designated DA, not D FA, as in "smc PENTAX-DA 110." A newer 110AF mount would also be required to allow communication between the lens and body, aperture control, and autofocus.

In addition, a conventional zoom lens design, such as 14-42mm, may be too large for a camera of this kind; film System 10 lenses were all very small.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 01-14-2011 at 08:52 PM.
01-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I don't think that there's a snowball's chance in h*ll that Pentax will introduce a camera that actually uses genuine Auto 110 lenses. There just aren't that many of them around, and they've been out of production since 1979.

Given the problems that have already been discussed about using that mounting system on a modern camera, why would Pentax lock themselves into such an obsolete design?

It won't sell more cameras, because there are so few Auto 110 lenses out there. Even a million or two is not sufficient. There were virtually no third-party lenses, so the only ones out there are the ones that Pentax made. The only third-party lens I know of, was a Soligor 1.7x teleconverter.

No, if there is any truth at all to this rumor, it will be a camera that is reminiscent of the original. Perhaps it will look a little like it. Perhaps it will be almost as small. But it won't be a revival of the system.

01-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well a nice little evil in the form and size of the 110 would be great. If lenses are as small that would be fantastic. I do see a market for it.
I don't see any market for this, just consider viewfinder. K-x-r have already a pinhole instead of VF !What would be this one !
And this 110 was a nice cute little stuff under the reatailers showcase but never hit the photographers bags really, Pentax should know this better than anybody.
01-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tooppy Quote
I don't see any market for this, just consider viewfinder. K-x-r have already a pinhole instead of VF !What would be this one !
And this 110 was a nice cute little stuff under the reatailers showcase but never hit the photographers bags really, Pentax should know this better than anybody.
Ummm...

The Viewfinder would be electronic.

Thus, it would be as big as they care to make it.

The entire point of a mirrorless camera is to remove the optical view finder.
01-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #40
Pentaxian

The more I think about it, the more I think that Pentax will indeed try to make a camera based on the 110. If you look at the current mirrorless cameras you would agree with me that these are not that small when "normal" zoom lenses are attached. Even the pancakes are not that small.

On the other hand, the 110 lenses were TINY. And I mean T-I-N-Y. And it had a great viewfinder. If you don't believe me then buy one and see for yourself

But OK, I don't know what Pentax is up to...
01-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #41

There is a lot I would hope Pentax would retain from the original design of the auto 110, other than looks and size, though I agree that the original lens mount wouldn't be practical or wise.

Tiny system lenses: Mostly great primes with only one or two zooms, f2.8 would be acceptable f2 would be exceptional.

In body diaphragm: To contribute to overall system compactness. Perhaps the rear element group could be left in the camera as well making lenses potentially even smaller.

At least 110 size sensor: The 4/3 sensor is the only reason I haven't gone with a gh2, but if it were nearly as small as auto 110 it would be a good compromise.

Some other things I'd like to see in the system.

WiFi: Simple functionality that would allow you to review and even process your pics, as well as control some camera functions. Would be awesome of it could be used to turn your phone into a remote view finder, but that's probably just day dreaming.

Minimalist controls: Mode switch with just off and hyper program, green button, video button, shutter button, three control dials (one Around the lens mount aperture ring style) front and rear control dials would customizable click and turn functionality. Simple 4way controller with customizable buttons.

No rear LCD: This would save a lot of bulk as well as making the body more rugged. You could still review your shots on your phone through WiFi. Or just wait till you get home to find out what you got, like film days, sort of. There could also be an optional tilt and swivel LCD that would connect to the hot shoe, like the one Sony just released, with its own set of controls. There would be a small top LCD or OLED for camera function feedback.

No built in flash:

Swapable EVF: You could swap on an optical view finder specific to the lens you are using, great for action shots as there is no black out. Or you could go with just the optional LCD if there is a reason you'd want that.

WR: this would be the greatest extreme outdoor adventure camera ever made so naturally it would need WR. It would also be simple to do with such minimalist controls.

In body auto focus motor: No reason to carry multiple motors with multiple lenses. Perhaps an SDM motor at the lens mount.

Titanium and carbon fiber construction of body and lenses: Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.

SR: Would maybe need to go for compact-ness, but I would want it in there.

I would pay up to $1800 for the body, and buy every lens they made for the system at up to $600 each. Well, I guess that's enough daydreaming for now.
01-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I shoot exclusively with Auto 110 . . . .
Where do you get your 110 film from? I'd love to get my hands on some, provided it's not too expensive.
01-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #43

To jest dobre posunięcie pentaxa. Kolejny system przestanie się kurzyć na pólkach.Already cleared my lenses
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #44

This is a good move Pentax. Another system to stop the smoke on the shelves.
Already cleared my lenses
01-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I, for one, would love to see a "110 digital" that used the old 110 lenses. Please and thank you.