Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-7 firmware allowing SDXC!!!

Has this already been announced? If so, mods please delete this.

Otherwise, I just ran across this: Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

01-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By the way, the K-x also got a firmware update...
01-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the info! I updated and it seems to work fine just like it used to. I don't have an SDXC card to text the new feature though...
01-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

w00t! Thanks for the info...now when and why would I buy said SDXC cards again?

It'll be fun to see if there are any hidden features or fixes in this release.

01-13-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Another useless firmware update.

Instead of listening to your user base you offer an update which isn't relevant to many.
01-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

*sigh* this is come it appears:

PentaxUser : "Look manual video mode & tethering is what we want!"

PentaxJapan / Mr Yogato / Engineer : "Hmmm lets give user SDXC, we know better!"
01-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If there's one thing I learned in the software industry, it's not that the engineer doesn't want to do it, but that the management team is too daft to let them.

Marketing controls management's mind, which leads to sub-optimal results for the consumer.

If only we could get a Pentax marketing person to read these forums...
01-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

and if they only have SXDC to offer at least they did that. SXDC cards will become the norm as time passes, it'd be a major PITA to not be able to buy a good card in a couple of years for what would otherwise still be an excellent camera
The video would be nice, it may not be possible with the firmware and processor, though really i think it's just marketing not pushing for it (someone has to pay the bill, marketing at this point doesn't think about anything other than kr, k5 645d the kx and k7 are history for them

01-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mhm, this firmware update is useless for me at this point. The biggest sdhc card I have is 8GB!

However, I'm still glad that Pentax is making the option of SDXC available.
01-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
*sigh* this is come it appears:

PentaxJapan / Mr Yogato / Engineer : "Hmmm lets give user SDXC, we know better!"
Have you thought about the fact that adding SDXC to the K-7/K-x was probably a pretty easy firmware update, whereas adding manual video mode & tethering would be much more involved (considering that neither of which are available on any other current Pentax DSLR...)

so maybe it was more like this:

PentaxJapan : "Hmm manual video mode & tethering sounds great but will take 5000 man hours to complete. Ah, but look! SDXC support can be completed in 100 man hours. We know better!"

Now I agree that it would be nice to have manual video mode and tethering on my K-7 (and I also want to be able to completely disable dark frame subtraction...) but I highly doubt they will spend the time & resources to update these older bodies with features which aren't even available on their top-tier camera, the K-5 (except for DFS disabling...i still want that for K-7 even if it's noisy...i hate waiting for those damn dark frames!).
01-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Have you thought about the fact that adding SDXC to the K-7/K-x was probably a pretty easy firmware update, whereas adding manual video mode & tethering would be much more involved (considering that neither of which are available on any other current Pentax DSLR...)

so maybe it was more like this:

PentaxJapan : "Hmm manual video mode & tethering sounds great but will take 5000 man hours to complete. Ah, but look! SDXC support can be completed in 100 man hours. We know better!"

Now I agree that it would be nice to have manual video mode and tethering on my K-7 (and I also want to be able to completely disable dark frame subtraction...) but I highly doubt they will spend the time & resources to update these older bodies with features which aren't even available on their top-tier camera, the K-5 (except for DFS disabling...i still want that for K-7 even if it's noisy...i hate waiting for those damn dark frames!).

this is more than likely a real scenario, and don't expect to see it on K5 either, it will likely be the upgrade on the next gen body (k3 or whatever. then we may see some reverse engineered updated for k5 (and 7 hopefully). Marketing after all needs to give you a reason to move up
01-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #12

It's not like they don't listen just because they added SDXC support. I've seen a lot of people commenting on the lack of SDXC support.

/Tommy
01-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And in reality, SDXC doesn't have really high speed cards yet...only high capacity ones. And the K5/K7 can't even push the speeds of the fastest SDHC cards.
It's mostly for compatibility with SDXC cards that users might buy now that they're getting more popular and it's another checklist item for new buyers...
01-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
It's not like they don't listen
Of course.
I don't understand why people are disappointed. We're talking about forward compatibility here, it's far from "useless".
01-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I concur: It's important to note that this does not give us SDXC speeds. That's a hardware issue with additional pins. This does no more than allow us to use very-high-capacity SD cards.

Now ...... with 64 GB cards at 25 MB per image, I can risk how many images/video minutes on one card ????

Never mind. Other hardware considerations indicate that the K-5 will not offer 60 fps at 1080p, 3D Super Dolby video, three-shot vanilla lattes, or a reminder that the photo I'm trying to take is both banal and badly composed.

Darn. That last one sounded good.