Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rather than waiting for a magic number, I am picking a date on the calender ... namely high school marching band season 2011, which starts around August 15th.

So, I'm starting to save $$$ and holding garage sales with that date in mind, hoping that the K-5 body will be in the 1100-1200 dollar range (or less) by that point.

I could *really* use that high ISO sensor for Friday Night Football marching shows!

Meanwhile, my 6 month old K7 will do me just fine!

regards,

germar

01-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I was waiting for a date, then decided to wait for a price drop, but really am waiting until I feel my K-7 need to be replaced. Maybe I am not in a rush anyway.

Jason
01-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Rather than waiting for a magic number, I am picking a date on the calender
That's really what I was thinking when I pulled the trigger: I wanted it for the holiday and basketball seasons.
01-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Event driven - that is a pretty good strategy, I think. I don't know that I HAVE to get a different body, but I'm now thinking that a good time to get that DA 12-24 lens is prior to the family tour through Colorado this summer! I love the photos from that lens and the lens seems to make a lot of people very happy. Different topic, though. Thanks. Glenn

01-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If that happens, that could very well make the K7 a true steal!
01-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I too am waiting for a more significant erosion of the US price. When the camera originally came out, I put $1000 as my target price, but seeing how slowly the price is falling (and my general impression that it will not fall as fast as previous models), I may have to settle for $1100. Of course, with vendor-specific sales and discounts, the price can suddenly take a hundred or two hundred dollar dip. It is also possible that with all of the stained K-5 returned, Pentax may refurb them and have them resold at a good discount.
01-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #22
Inactive Account

I agree, 1100 will be my breaking point. But as much as I hate to admit it, If I had 1400 bucks disposable right now, I would buy it now!

Last edited by ggeorge11; 01-17-2011 at 07:51 AM.
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #23

i am sure a lot of people bought the k-5 with the epson printer rebate offer. The printer can be sold on ebay for around $300, which makes the price of the k-5 around $1150.

01-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When Pentax release their next model?

Isn't that when the MAJOR price drop occurs? At least that is what I am telling myself: When the next model is released, I will do my best not to read reviews of the next model, and I will buy a k5. Which will NOT be any worse because it isn't the latest model anymore.

Until then I will try to improve my skills and enjoy my k7, which really is a good camera too....
01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote

Isn't that when the MAJOR price drop occurs? At least that is what I am telling myself: When the next model is released, I will do my best not to read reviews of the next model, and I will buy a k5. Which will NOT be any worse because it isn't the latest model anymore.

Until then I will try to improve my skills and enjoy my k7, which really is a good camera too....

LOL - unfortunately manufacturers are very good at coming up with that "killer factor" that makes me want to buy the latest and greatest.

Late last year, I thought "I want a K-x. I'll wait for the new models to be announced, then the K-x price will plummet and I'll get it knowing it'll still be a great camera. The K-7 was pretty forgettable ..."

Of course, when the K-5 came out, I *had* to get the K-5 and suddenly the K-x doesn't seem suitable anymore
01-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I know, Christine - I am exactly the same. That is why I have a k7: I was waiting for the K20 to drop in price, but then I "accidentally" bought the k7 instead...

I'm wiser now though. I definitely couldn't possibly fall for that trick twice!
01-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I was going to get a K-r until I realised how much better the K-5 is... Sigh.
01-18-2011, 03:02 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Look at the graphs on camerapricebuster.co.uk - it's the same shape for almost every camera. They all fall in price, som more quickly and some more slowly, and with the odd blip due to supply problems or exchange rates.

I guess long term Pentax like to have the new model in place before the price of the old one gets too low - K-7 is discontinued(?) and bottomed out at around 600/$900US. I expect they plan on the K-5 being a similar price when the K-3(?) comes along.
01-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian

(...)
Usually Pentax announce a new flagship every 16th month:

- 13 September 2006: K10D
- 23 January 2008: K20D
- 20 May 2009: K-7
- 20 September 2010: K-5
- ?? January 2012: K?
01-18-2011, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter

Isn't that when the MAJOR price drop occurs?
Actually, no. I bought my K20D and my K7 at the low price points for those cameras ... which was when the first real buzz about the next camera started to appear in this site's rumor section! By "real buzz" I mean fairly credible reports coming from Japan about sensor size, buffer rate and so on ... concrete technical stuff, not just someones wish list of fantasy features. At that point both cameras hit really good prices that I had to jump on. In both cases they proved to be historic lows.

So... using my experiences, I'd say historic lows are reached about 3-5 months before the next camera body is officially announced by Pentax. That said, I would bet world economy, exchange rates and more will profoundly affect what actually happens. But I'd feel pretty safe to jump in when people start posting what seem to be semi-credible lists of K-3 features on the Web; that first moment when it seems the k-5 might not be top dog anymore.

Just my two cents.