Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #31
Site Supporter
MetteHHH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 968
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
...
So... using my experiences, I'd say historic lows are reached about 3-5 months before the next camera body is officially announced by Pentax. That said, I would bet world economy, exchange rates and more will profoundly affect what actually happens. But I'd feel pretty safe to jump in when people start posting what seem to be semi-credible lists of K-3 features on the Web; that first moment when it seems the k-5 might not be top dog anymore.

Just my two cents.
Germar, +1. I just LOVE advice that simultaneously helps me pick a low price point AND helps me justify buying a k5 a little earlier! That must be almost the _definition_ of good advice!

01-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #32
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 129
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Actually, no. I bought my K20D and my K7 at the low price points for those cameras ... which was when the first real buzz about the next camera started to appear in this site's rumor section! By "real buzz" I mean fairly credible reports coming from Japan about sensor size, buffer rate and so on ... concrete technical stuff, not just someones wish list of fantasy features. At that point both cameras hit really good prices that I had to jump on. In both cases they proved to be historic lows.

So... using my experiences, I'd say historic lows are reached about 3-5 months before the next camera body is officially announced by Pentax. That said, I would bet world economy, exchange rates and more will profoundly affect what actually happens. But I'd feel pretty safe to jump in when people start posting what seem to be semi-credible lists of K-3 features on the Web; that first moment when it seems the k-5 might not be top dog anymore.

A good observation, thanks for the insight!

Also, I have noticed those low prices are again matched about 2 months after a new model is released. It appears Pentax wants to move the old inventory through the system about then. It doesn't seem to last very long and then most of the cameras are gone...

Right now, both the K-7 and K-x are at there lowest price point again. Anyone looking to buy the old model, this is your chance at a good price.

I also bought a K20D 2 months after the K-7 was released and it was at its lowest price point then.
01-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #33
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lewiston, NY
Posts: 104
The USD continues to fall against its largest foreign trading partner, despite the intervention of the Bank of Canada. I expect to see it fall at least another 20% over the year. Some tech products (not necessarily Pentax) are now cheaper in Canada even when converted to USD. Not sure why, but I think Asian manufacturers and distributors are looking for more stable currencies than USD and even EUR, and the CAD seems to be the current darling.
01-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #34
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,701
Because CAD have not lost value versus Yen in2010
. The USD lost 20% against the Yen

01-24-2011, 03:54 AM   #35
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leuven, Belgium
Posts: 37
FYI: K-5's price in the Netherlands has been very stable so far

01-24-2011, 04:16 AM   #36
Veteran Member
timh's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 445
Japanese prices just jumped up a bit... Supply problems? Increased confidence? End of January sales?
ペンタックス/PENTAX PENTAX K-5 ボディ 価格推移グラフ [coneco.net]

Happily I just bought mine at the low point, clearly I'm a genius and should start trading stock or something.
01-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #37
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lewiston, NY
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Because CAD have not lost value versus Yen in2010
. The USD lost 20% against the Yen
Exactly. Asians are buying CAD. It's interesting to watch the ratio of USD/CAD from Friday night (after North American Markets close). Asian markets open on Sunday, and the ratio drops like crazy. On Monday morning EST, the Bank of Canada starts buying USD in an attempt to keep a favorable balance of trade with the US, so the ratio rises. I wish I had $$$ to back up this observation in real terms, but I need to save to buy a K-5

Bottom line... I need to watch K-5 pricing in Canada, haul butt across the border to Vistek (currently $1599 CAD) on Friday at 16:15 EST, buy and smuggle it back to the US

Last edited by sandilands; 01-25-2011 at 08:05 AM.
01-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #38
Site Supporter
GregK8's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 613
I don't see the price of the K-5 going down much past $1300 over the long term. It's really held its own over the first three months and I think with the combination of strong demand due to the positive press and the need for replacements due to the staining issue, the price will stay where it is. B&H has been sold out several times over the past month and it just took them over a week to get more stock in. So as long as supply is less than demand, the price will stay where it's at.

01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member
dankoBanana's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 535
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I don't see the price of the K-5 going down much past $1300 over the long term. It's really held its own over the first three months and I think with the combination of strong demand due to the positive press and the need for replacements due to the staining issue, the price will stay where it is. B&H has been sold out several times over the past month and it just took them over a week to get more stock in. So as long as supply is less than demand, the price will stay where it's at.
I agree
+ expect a surge in demand once the AF issue gets fixed

and only god knows what would happen if by some divine intervention they released a firmware allowing full manual controls in video mode 3 months from now (actually, this sounds like a great idea to keep the demand up and thus keep the price up too)
01-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 698
Original Poster
Very interesting input, all. At this point, two huge forces seem aligned to maintaining high prices. First, the K-5 appears to be a killer-good camera. So good that it is hard to imagine any cropped sensor camera actually beating it to any significant degree, at least this year. And, from several of you, it sounds lilke there are firmware updates possible that might improve it even further. Both professional reviews and user reviews indicate the k-5 is ALL THAT. Second, (and no, I'm not the economist!) with a weak US economy, I believe the markets and US policy makers would prefer a very weak dollar, encouraging exports over imports. While I may wish for a $1100 K-5 in 2011, I currently feel doubtful that we'll see that price this year.
01-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #41
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lewiston, NY
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Very interesting input, all. At this point, two huge forces seem aligned to maintaining high prices. First, the K-5 appears to be a killer-good camera. So good that it is hard to imagine any cropped sensor camera actually beating it to any significant degree, at least this year. And, from several of you, it sounds lilke there are firmware updates possible that might improve it even further. Both professional reviews and user reviews indicate the k-5 is ALL THAT. Second, (and no, I'm not the economist!) with a weak US economy, I believe the markets and US policy makers would prefer a very weak dollar, encouraging exports over imports. While I may wish for a $1100 K-5 in 2011, I currently feel doubtful that we'll see that price this year.
Yup! Until the Chinese let their currency trade at real market value, the US Fed will continue to up the pressure by devaluing dead presidents. IOW until Pentax discontinues the K-5, don't expect to see any significant price reductions. Pentax does have a competitive problem (in terms of price) with the D7000. Expect them to address that with bundling rebates and similar tricks rather than dropping the price of the K-5 body.
01-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #42
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 283
Europeans should worry, though

It probably won't have a major effect on the USA or Canada, but there is a general consensus forming that the Euro is overvalued and will gradually descend back to parity with the US dollar. This will probably also result in a 15% to 20% devaluation with respect to the Yen.

I suggest that our European friends buy soon!

Mike
01-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #43
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
It probably won't have a major effect on the USA or Canada, but there is a general consensus forming that the Euro is overvalued and will gradually descend back to parity with the US dollar. This will probably also result in a 15% to 20% devaluation with respect to the Yen.

I suggest that our European friends buy soon!

Mike
It's a bit wishfull thinking, given the fact that "experts" have so often been proven wrong.

At the moment, the federal state in the USA have to deal with the massive dept caused by 2 wars, some massive tax cuts during Bush administration and the explostion of the housing bubble causing at the same a massive banking and economical crisis. Many experts (and foreign countries holding reserves in dollar) fear a move to erase the dept like Nixon cut of the gold standard. Given the fact that more dollar are held outside of the US than inside, if a massive devaluation occurs, that would mean that the burden of the dept would be supported by foreigners. Or as the saying goes :"The dollar my money, your problem".

On the side of Japan, there is a massive dept too, but mostly held by Japanese people and institutions. Japan hold their interest rates at the lowest level to try to keep their money low and be competive for export.

Then there is Europe, Europe is weak politically, and European governments can't agree on anything at the moment, but in fact, this shall protect the central bank from external pressure. And the central bank have very clear mission: contain inflation. That mean maintaining the buying power of Euro. They do not have as mission to maitain growth like in the US. Sure there are some peripherical countries in trouble, but if we look at individual states in the US, this is also the case, not the least being California. And if gold matters (as it always do in times of crisis) the cumulated reserves of France, Italy and Germany are about the same the reserves of USA.

So, no, I don't think Euro is gonna devaluate against Dollar very soon.
01-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #44
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lewiston, NY
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
It's a bit wishfull thinking, given the fact that "experts" have so often been proven wrong.

At the moment, the federal state in the USA have to deal with the massive debt.

On the side of Japan, there is a massive debt too, but mostly held by Japanese people

European governments can't agree on anything ... the central bank have very clear mission: contain inflation... maintaining the buying power of Euro. They do not have as mission to maitain growth like in the US.
So back to the issue of buying a camera, the value of the USD will decline putting upwards pressure on Asian based prices. The European Central Bank will defend the value of the EUR - thus no weakening of Asian based pricing there. A few minor currencies particularly with resource (including gold) foundations will do well, but with little buying impact on Asian pricing = nothing to be gained there.

I still think the exception will be CAD. A resource based minor currency, but so tightly linked to the US economy. Expect to see the CAD/USD to go from 1 (now) to 1.3 or 1.5 within the next year. If that happens, the greater buying power of the CAD in the US, AND its geographical proximity will mean the real cost of a K-5 in CAD will go down in lock step with the CAD/USD ratio or to under $1000. Good if you currently own Loonies (slang for CAD).
01-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #45
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
So back to the issue of buying a camera, the value of the USD will decline putting upwards pressure on Asian based prices. The European Central Bank will defend the value of the EUR - thus no weakening of Asian based pricing there. A few minor currencies particularly with resource (including gold) foundations will do well, but with little buying impact on Asian pricing = nothing to be gained there.

I still think the exception will be CAD. A resource based minor currency, but so tightly linked to the US economy. Expect to see the CAD/USD to go from 1 (now) to 1.3 or 1.5 within the next year. If that happens, the greater buying power of the CAD in the US, AND its geographical proximity will mean the real cost of a K-5 in CAD will go down in lock step with the CAD/USD ratio or to under $1000. Good if you currently own Loonies (slang for CAD).
Yes this is possible, since Canada had much more discipline in budgetary policy. Currently foreign counrty owning Dollars and institutions are looking to diversify their reserves. Hence the raising in value of "secondary" money like, CAD or Brazilian real. One have to remember that weak money= strong exportations, high inflation, low consumption, and strong money= weak exportations, low inflation and higher consuption. If the contry economy is more based on the internal market than on exportations, then a strong money can be a better choice in hard times than a weak one.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, carlson, demand, k-5, k-5 price, models, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, price, prices, strategy
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking Forward to the K5? Rupert General Talk 25 09-10-2010 12:19 PM
Nature Looking forward to spring... whitedog Post Your Photos! 2 01-17-2010 02:18 PM
One step back to take two steps forward? johnmflores Photographic Technique 7 08-18-2009 07:58 AM
Forward lens compatibility betsypdx Pentax Film SLR Discussion 6 02-22-2007 08:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top