Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #226
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
Who is the author of this crazy rumor about tiny sensor? Why should we trust any word in the web?

02-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #227
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Who is the author of this crazy rumor about tiny sensor? Why should we trust any word in the web?
There is no reason to trust any rumor unless there is reasonable proof provided with it.

There is no proof provided, therefore there is no reason to believe it. I certainly don't.
02-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #228
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,328
Even with proofs with sources, there really is no good reason to trust a rumor.
02-04-2011, 02:54 AM   #229
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Who is the author of this crazy rumor about tiny sensor? Why should we trust any word in the web?
we are good believers. We trusted you when you started on the smaller sensor and this rumor was just our worst case scenario (you know Pentaxian's are waiting for armageddon to come).

02-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #230
Veteran Member
liukaitc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,008
rumor is rumor..but at least bring discussion to us...not bad...haha
02-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #231
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
I don't believe the rumor for a second, it's probably just the Internet acting as some sort of global crazy reverb unit, whereas someone posts a specious rumor that gets amplified and distorted until it's seen as truth.

It makes no sense at all to introduce a new product based on an older product that was a market failure.

We're more likely to see unicorns before this mythical Auto 110 successor.


02-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #232
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by 0144 Quote
Yes it does, by shrinking image circle like those old nikons, you are efectively using a reverse teleconverter. so not only focal length is reduced, but aperture is increased massively.

If you shrink 50mm F1.4 image circle to a 1/2.33 sensor, you will get a 9mm F0.25 lens. however lens will be at least as large as the original 50.

DoF imho is the least of the problems. DR and noise worries me most. If at least they made a nice 6Mp sensor....

link:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/digitalSLRs/E3E3s/
Very cool. I had actually never seen that until now. If they do indeed do something like that I could live with that I guess. Still though, seems like a 2/3's sensor would be a much better starting point for such a system to help out with dynamic range, higher resolutions, and noise (as you pointed out).
02-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #233
juu
Veteran Member
juu's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 680
Wow interesting, I had never heard about this. However, these were made at a time when FF sensors cost a fortune, so this actually made sense. Doing it right now when they could just procure an inexpensive APSC sensor and use it in a mount the size of m43 (for multi-aspect) would be very odd.

02-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #234
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 58
Wouldn't it be lovely if they'd put one of those lovely low-pass-free Kodak sensors in to the camera, similar to the type used in the 645D? I really do hope this EVIL comes to fruition. I can't afford one at the moment, but another year to eighteen months down the line, I will be looking for a new camera.

Please, Pentax!
02-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #235
juu
Veteran Member
juu's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 680
Remotely relevant:

Nikon Mirrorless system rumours

It seems there are some parallels with the Pentax rumors (like timing, smaller crop factors).

Could it be Pentax and Nikon would announce partnership on the same 2.5x crop factor system? Slim chance, but not completely impossible.
02-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #236
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
Could it be Pentax and Nikon would announce partnership on the same 2.5x crop factor system? Slim chance, but not completely impossible.
At least it wouldn't be surprising if they will be buying sensors from the same source - Sony.
02-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #237
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Unlike a 1/2.33 sensor, 2.5x would make me give serious thought to Pentax and Nikon. If Sony is making the 2.5x sensors I'm willing to bet a 12mp 2.5x will be better than the larger 12mp sensors Panasonic is currently producing.

That said, I really like the 4x3 ratio, so if the 2.5x sensor is a 2x3 ratio I'll probably go back to 4/3's for my next mirrorless camera (unless Sony shows us an impressive NEX-7 prototype to go along with that 24mm f/1.7 Zeiss lens). Even though Sony is currently ahead in sensor development, that might not always be the case. It seems like 4/3's really is the sweet spot for balancing IQ and size, I'm not exactly sure why Pentax and Nikon would choose 2.5x over 2x. The lenses most likely won't be any smaller and it's much easier to multiply x 2 to get your focal length
02-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #238
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Unlike a 1/2.33 sensor, 2.5x would make me give serious thought to Pentax and Nikon. If Sony is making the 2.5x sensors I'm willing to bet a 12mp 2.5x will be better than the larger 12mp sensors Panasonic is currently producing.

That said, I really like the 4x3 ratio, so if the 2.5x sensor is a 2x3 ratio I'll probably go back to 4/3's for my next mirrorless camera (unless Sony shows us an impressive NEX-7 prototype to go along with that 24mm f/1.7 Zeiss lens). Even though Sony is currently ahead in sensor development, that might not always be the case. It seems like 4/3's really is the sweet spot for balancing IQ and size, I'm not exactly sure why Pentax and Nikon would choose 2.5x over 2x. The lenses most likely won't be any smaller and it's much easier to multiply x 2 to get your focal length
GH2 aside, development of next generation M43 sensors has been slow and bordering on non-existent. I'm sure that a 2.5x Sony would match the 2x in the Oly cams. My only reservation would be DOF. With M43, anything over F4.0 starts to feel like a P&S with respect to DOF control. This characteristic is pushing me towards M43 glass that's faster than F2.8, preferably F2.0 and faster.

With a 2.5x sensor, I imagine that anything F2.8 or F3.5 will feel like a P&S, and thus there will be a real need for real fast glass - F1.7 and faster still. Maybe the smaller sensor will make this easier to achieve. For example, the Pentax DA21 Limited and the Panasonic 20mm are nearly identical in size, but the Pentax is F3.2 and the Panny is F1.7.

In any case, the more fast glass the better!
02-16-2011, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #239
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
For example, the Pentax DA21 Limited and the Panasonic 20mm are nearly identical in size, but the Pentax is F3.2 and the Panny is F1.7.
That's the mirrorless effect, not the sensor size.

Lenses start to grow if their focal length falls below the registration distance and are smallest at the registration distance itself (DA 40, Samsung NX 20, Sony NEX 16 etc.). That's because otherwise, wide angle lenses must use a retrofocus design which makes them huge.
02-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #240
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's the mirrorless effect, not the sensor size.

Lenses start to grow if their focal length falls below the registration distance and are smallest at the registration distance itself (DA 40, Samsung NX 20, Sony NEX 16 etc.). That's because otherwise, wide angle lenses must use a retrofocus design which makes them huge.
I sit corrected. Thx Falk.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-5, mirrorless, pentax, pentax mirrorless, pentax news, pentax rumors, rule, share
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mirrorless Camera--Good or Bad? InStitches49 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 11-10-2010 10:15 PM
[RUMOR] Canon's First Mirrorless Camera! jct us101 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 09-14-2010 08:08 PM
Pentax is investigating a mirrorless system camera falconeye Pentax News and Rumors 172 04-01-2010 01:03 PM
Pentax mirrorless camera in LX like design body ogl Pentax News and Rumors 94 03-23-2010 04:21 AM
Samsung GX fullframe mirrorless camera system? amonsul Pentax News and Rumors 46 11-12-2009 05:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top