Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
@Falk
-Considering this an unofficial info or leak, i'm sure there would be some others will contribute.

Now the question is, will the mirroless replace the K-5 as flagship
No way.

01-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #17
Forum Member

For me these three qualities count the most:

* Weather sealing
* APS-C or bigger
* EVF
* Image stabilizer in the body

And the last three are mandatory - otherwise it is K-5 for me to replace my current tool sometime in the summer, unless Sony brings out a cheap new full framer. Brand itself for me is irrelevant as I use m42-glass, but I do prefer the underdogs, so would rather buy a Pentax (ok, ergonomics play a part too ).
01-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Stabilized sensor IMO is a no go for size and weight constraints though I agree it would be nice.
Well depends if they do a GH-like camera or an Auto110-like camera of course.
01-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Stabilized sensor IMO is a no go for size and weight constraints though I agree it would be nice.
Well depends if they do a GH-like camera or an Auto110-like camera of course.
It depends on how you look at it. Sensor stabilization add less size and weight than optical stabilization. And without any form of stabilization it will be much harder to sell the camera, but stabilization for legacy lenses (not only K-mount) might become a big selling point for Pentax.

I believe that stabilization is more important on a mirrorless system as it might be difficult to hold the cameras as steady and a DSLR (at least if the mirrorless camera has no VF). Most users of these type of camera also want stabilized video so they can shoot video without using a tripod.

If trusting Auto 110 rumor, Pentax will do both a digital version of Auto 110, but probably also a GH-like version.

01-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #20

It would be cool if the camera had a retractable mount, this way we could still use k-mount lenses and the camera would remain compact when turned off.
01-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only one thing I'm sure of - it'll come in a variety of fruity colours.
01-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by john_ven24 Quote
It would be cool if the camera had a retractable mount, this way we could still use k-mount lenses and the camera would remain compact when turned off.
It would probably a way to expensive solution to be interesting for other than Pentax DSLR users. Why would anyone else be interested in using a more expensive camera that expand when in use?

But I think Pentax is wise enough not to limit its mirrorless solution to only existing Pentax users. Mirrorless cameras is probably one of the best way for them to expand market share.
01-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Olympus managed to fit in-body stabilization into their m4/3 bodies, so there's no reason why Pentax couldn't.

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-16-2011 at 05:31 AM.
01-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It would probably a way to expensive solution to be interesting for other than Pentax DSLR users. Why would anyone else be interested in using a more expensive camera that expand when in use?

But I think Pentax is wise enough not to limit its mirrorless solution to only existing Pentax users. Mirrorless cameras is probably one of the best way for them to expand market share.
Yeah the probably wouldn't, but it'd still be cool. By the way, almost every compact camera has a retractable lens, they could do the same with a K-mount, couldn't they?
01-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

No way.
no panic
01-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by john_ven24 Quote
Yeah the probably wouldn't, but it'd still be cool. By the way, almost every compact camera has a retractable lens, they could do the same with a K-mount, couldn't they?
It would probably be possible, but I doubt it would be possible if using a APS-C sensor.
Lenses on P&S that use retractable lens has a base of the lens that is about the same size as K-mount, and use sensors as small as 1/2.33".

If Pentax would to do a mirrorless camera with retractable lenses for APS-C sensor they probably have to use 645 or larger mount.
01-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Olympus managed to fit in-body stabilization into their m4/3 bodies, so there's no reason why Pentax couldn't.
True. And also, Pentax needs every unique feature possible to gain market share.
01-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is from a review of the 18-55 kitlens for the Nex

Conclusion
As the kit lens for the NEX series, we don't expect it to be perfect, but the lens has a few objectionable results in our testing of it. The lens could certainly stand to be a bit sharper, and there are some odd results in our CA testing. Corner shading is good, and distortion is about what you would expect, so in the end, it's probably what you would expect for the price, but nothing to write home about. Unfortunately, from a practical point of view, the camera / lens combination is a bit too bulky to be the ''pocket camera'' many might have been expecting, but if you're fine with the idea of carrying the camera in one pocket and the lens in the other, it does make a very portable combination.

You can read: Sony Lens: Zooms - Sony E 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS SEL1855 (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

I don't know how to take pictures with the camera in one pocket and the lens in another, but I do see a demand for a real small evil camera.

Any possability that this evil and the questions about a 110D will come together in a fine small pacage?
01-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's been some talk of Pentax joining Micro Four Thirds. IIRC Pentax even has patents for an M43 lens or 2. But Pentax will not abandon the K-mount as they would lose the potential to sell this new EVIL to their installed base.

With this in mind, I wonder if the following is possible:

1. APS-C sensor

2. M43 mount.

3. When you use an M43 lens, the sensor operates in cropped mode (M43 size)

4. K-mount adapter with electrical contacts and some type of AF support (SDM and/or screw drive motor in adapter)

5. When you attach the K-mount adapter and a K-mount lens, the sensor operates in APS-C mode.

That would be a pretty neat trick, an M43 and APS-C camera in one body. The only question would be if the M43 mount gets in the way of the APS-C imaging circle. I suspect that it's pretty close, dependent upon the flange distance of M43 and size of the APS-C imaging circle that far away from the sensor. Maybe someone better at math than eye can see if this is even possible.
01-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-2?

I wonder if it's going to be called K-2? There's a lot of third party K-r batteries floating around which are compatible with K-r and "K-2".