Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The forthcoming Pentax Mirrorless Camera

I think we need a new thread because this is going to become real. It is not about the rumor spread by photo rumors or the "we never rule anything out" interview.

I decided to share this much of what I heard about the forthcoming mirrorless camera from Pentax. Note that none of this is what I heard from Pentax interns (because then I probably wouldn't want to share in order not to compromise my sources). The information may be false actually. But personally, I think it is trustworthy.

Call it a dream But some of my dreams come true

Here we go:

Pentax is going to release a mirrorless camera indeed. It will already happen around the end of this quarter. It may already go into testing next month. And it will support AF for K-mount SDM lenses, most likely via an adapter. So, the "we never rule anything out" comments from Pentax must be part of a game which is already taking place and which I don't appreciate.

Here, you have it in a nutshell. I'm sure we will hear more about it soon. I can only hope that Pentax doesn't forget to fix the K-5 firmware bugs. Because, I am sure, the K-5 is still more exciting for enthusiasts after the dust will have settled

Last edited by falconeye; 01-31-2011 at 04:21 PM.
01-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would guess we will see something about it in February at CP+. Having AF for K-mount SDM would be a good thing. I would hope they will find a way to support AF for all K-mount autofocus lenses, but that just might be too much to ask for.

Yes, I hope that don't forget about the K-5 and fix the firmware bugs and also come out with a few more lenses, like a DA*28 (or 30) f1.8 for a fast weather-sealed normal lens, and a high-end supertelephoto like a DA*135-400 or a DA*500.

Dave
01-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

These are just my dreams, i have exactly zero sources of info...

ok, since you are dreaming, let me dream a little bit too...basically this will be my dream backpacking camera setup, basically cutting size, weight, & complexity and going for maximum durability and useability for what's most important--taking photos.

- APS-C or greater.
- Weathersealed (including small weathersealed primes).
- Good viewfinder suitable for manual focusing. Preferably optical since it requires no power to run, but not sure if that is feasible on this camera.
- Small registration distance to allow fast (F2) but thin normal lenses. ( 28mm Ltd = 43mm F1.9 Ltd please ) or some other equivalent for a fast 43mm ish lens)
- No on-board flash. very small shoe-mount flash available as accessory.
- Very responsive camera like a DSLR, zero shutter lag time (assuming focus locked or manual focus)
- ergonomic grip would be nice but don't make it thicker than the width at lens mount + length of a medium size pancake lens.
- eliminate any unecessary ports. Keep wired remote, flash sync, dc power. No need for direct video output to a TV or connection to a computer. Take the card out and transfer files that way.
- ports should be behind a sealed door like K-7 battery door...not a rubber flap. I hate those b/c they always seem to go bad and fall off.

ahhh, I love dreaming about simplicity.

And some crazier parts of my dream:

- If necessary, lose the shake reduction to eliminate complexity/size/weight. Tripods are good for sharp images as help the photographic process anyway.
- Lose the rear LCD Panel (...stick with me) to decrease size & complexity, increase durability, increase battery life. Plus no one would ever steal it b/c it would look like a film camera . I know this will never happen, but I like to dream. Previewing can be done through viewfinder if necessary. For better previewing, sell a LCD accessory that uses wireless (preferred) or plugs in.
- Hybrid viewfinder like Fuji X100 (also allows previewing images through viewfinder if necessary, this allows us the ditch the rear LCD)

I'm not sure that anyone else would actually buy this camera, but I would .

Last edited by arpaagent; 01-15-2011 at 04:09 PM.
01-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't quite see why they'd release a tiny camera that only worked with their biggest lenses. That seems silly. If it's K-mount compatible it must have ordinary AF capability too.

01-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
I can't quite see why they'd release a tiny camera that only worked with their biggest lenses. That seems silly. If it's K-mount compatible it must have ordinary AF capability too.
It does indeed seem silly (I want a mirrorless back for my DA35 Ltd for those days that I want to travel really light!), but to support screw drive AF lenses, the adapter would have to have a built-in motor.
01-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
to support screw drive AF lenses, the adapter would have to have a built-in motor.
Well, that or in the body. Is there a particular issue with putting a motor in the body? I doubt this thing's going to be Nex-sized anyway.
01-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Banned

Well I hpoe it will be a nice thing that stands out among all the EVIL's on the market.

@Falk
Any idea on the sensor size or quality?

01-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Aptina Sensor

Well this is a dream. Maybe mirrorless FF..... Hey just a dream. I belive this is true. They already remove the non-pentax retailer/etc. from the network (the leak firmware 1.02)

-Weather sealed.
-Hope same sensor performance of K-5 (or Aptina Sensor MT9H004; See Aptina.com)
-10FPS
-1080P 30FPS
-New Lenses (Recent patents approved)
-Micro K-Mount Technology (Probable or a new name)
-SR
-Flash Sync Improvements

We'll see it when we wake -up.
01-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

New Aptina sensor MT9H004 is for DSLR / MIRROLESS .
01-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
@Falk
Any idea on the sensor size or quality?
No trustworthy info I can share. But APSC should be most likely if they do a K-mount adapter.

Note: I didn't mean this thread to become a wish list or pure speculation or even educated guess thread. It was meant to collect or leak the info as it becomes available over the next few months.

I'm sure Pentax will soon start their usual viral thing and we'll have some cinema again
01-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I wonder if Pentax can produce a video system comparable to Panasonic's, seeing as there isn't much in the way of Pentax camcorders out there, and their DSLR video implementation has been relatively weak so far. Video is pretty much the only reason I am considering a mirrorless camera sometime in the future (after prices drop considerably), and it would be nice to stick with the Pentax system (even though the only Pentax "SDM" lens I have right now is the 18-135 DC).

In-body stabilization and weather sealing would be killer features as well.

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.
01-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
I'm sure all k mount lenses will be able to mount on it, but they just will need to be manually focused. If you want a camera with motor in it, the kx is your smallest option. Clearly, the goal here is to make the camera truly pocketable, not just "smaller" than the standard SLR.

I'm sure that they will be releasing some smaller, non k mount lenses that have in lens motors that will be more directly tied this camera.

I have no particularly wish list. I tend to gravitate towards cameras on the larger side, with grips and lots of buttons. I just hope that they can find a good niche here. Seems like there are already an awful lot of EVIL cameras out there.
01-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Every vendor will have entries in the mirrorless segment. It will replace entry level SLRs.

I only hope that unlike Olympus, Pentax doesn't shift attention to this money-loosing sector too much. That's suicide for anything but a big corporation. The margin will be with the enthusiast photographers and I feel Pentax understood it.

But Pentax needs an entry level and so they need mirrorless sooner than later. Fair enough.

Pentax contrast AF with SDM lenses already beats AF performance with lenses for µFourThird cameras when adapted using a converter. I consider this a unique selling point already: good cross platform performance, i.e., a plausible upgrade path to grow. I.e., a DA*60-250 may be an interesting lens with Pentax new mirrorless.

Video is a weak point for Pentax, I agree. But it isn't that hard to do right. Make the EVF tilt, add manual controls, electronic focus aids and a dedicated record button and things won't look that bad.
01-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Make an adaptor for M-mount lenses and I'll buy one.
01-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

@Falk
-Considering this an unofficial info or leak, i'm sure there would be some others will contribute.

Now the question is, will the mirroless replace the K-5 as flagship or this is between K-r.