Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's why I created the thread. The speculations and rumors are confusing and some need to make purchase decisions. That's why I don't speculate in my OP. AFAIK, there is no February release rumor. But February will be the month where more information will be made available outside Japan and I'm sure, some of this info will make it into this thread.
That's right, I ment the 'announcement in Feb.' rumor as reported by photo rumors and I believe K rumors. Don't know if it was ever brought up here. I'll edit my previous post.

I'm just stating an opinion that the existing rumors of an EVIL this year all seam odious. I hope I'm wrong as I'm one who is trying to make said purchasing decisions.We'll all know soon enough I guess.

01-18-2011, 03:15 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I can't quite see why they'd release a tiny camera that only worked with their biggest lenses. That seems silly. If it's K-mount compatible it must have ordinary AF capability too.
+1

Why would a Pentax-DSLR-owner buy a mirrorless camera from Pentax? A strong selling argument would be the compatibility of (K-mount) lenses. Autofocusing should be limited to a minority of (big SDM) glass? Non-AF adapters are also available for mirrorless cameras of other brands. What is left over? Perhaps PKA-functionality and thus a better/simpler exposure measurement. Is this enough?
How about the handling? Where to place the LCD, control wheels and buttons etc.? Is ergonomics with an even smaller body than the K-5 really desirable? See e.g. FA31 on NEX3: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1123/5141609080_d7c41304fd_b.jpg
Mirrorless does not necessarily call for a tiny body. At first, the concept is cheaper than that of DSLRs. So, a body with the same size as the K-5 and a PKAF2-mount (perhaps even with aperture coupler) could make use of a more expensive sensor. What about a K-5 ffm (full frame mirrorless) as an addition to the APS-C K-5 DSLR at the same prize point? Wouldn´t that be really interesting?

Back to the upgrading P&S users. What could be unique to attract them to Pentax and not to the various other brands with similar offers? Another new mount in the hard-fought mirrorless entry-level market ... from a small player? Isn't the P&S segment ruinous enough? A possibility would be to share a (new) mount. Does joining the (m)43rds community really make sense? A partnership with Samsung was ruled out before. Nikon wants to be "different" with their forthcoming mirrorless (sounds familiar) ... but more professional (see e.g. Nikon mirrorless interchangeable lens camera | Nikon Rumors). A way to go? Even a mount to join?

So all could already be decided and a Pentax mirrorless announced in the first quarter of this year. Then none of our wishes or advice will change the new product. What would be a meaningful time to introduce it? At "[...] the only camera and imaging trade show in the first half of 2011 [...]" CP+ 2011 in Yokohama, Japan. After all this speculation at least one thing is assured: Hoya/Pentax will be at the CP+ (Feb. 09.-12.): List of exhibitors | Exhibitors | For Visitors | Cameras and Photo Imaging Show [CP+]...
01-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
After all this speculation at least one thing is assured: Hoya/Pentax will be at the CP+ (Feb. 09.-12.)
IMHO, CP+ will be too soon to hear anything already.

froeschle, what you say is correct but such is business. It's a competitive world out there. Pentax got no choice. Except to give up the entry level interchangeable lens segment which really would be suicide.

A full frame MILC would be exciting. But it's not part of the current entry-level battle field.

You compete and succeed or perish after being pushed into whatever niche.

My personal opinion is that none of the existing MILCs is a convincing proposition. So, there will be ways to differentiate. Let's hope Pentax finds theirs.
01-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #64
Veteran Member

ON another post , Froeschle , found that site talking about Pentax is coming with a M43 lens and Tokina also

Pentax Micro-Four-Thirds 17mm F2.8 17mm F2.0 14mm F2.8??????????So-net???

01-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
ON another post , Froeschle , found that site talking about Pentax is coming with a M43 lens and Tokina also

Pentax Micro-Four-Thirds 17mm F2.8 17mm F2.0 14mm F2.8??????????So-net???
Indeed Pentax has patented three 4/3 or µ4/3 lenses (image circle = 21.6mm):18mm f/2.8, 17mm f/2 and 14mm f/2.8.

Pentax sent the corresponding application on 4 November 2008, quite early compared to µ4/3 development, and the patent was granted on 17 June 2010 in Japan.

Now there is a rumour of two µ4/3 lenses from Tokina, including a 17mm f/2:

43 Rumors | Home

Like so many Tokina lenses, this one could well be based on a Pentax-patented optical formula.
01-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #66
Veteran Member

If the MILC will be the new entry level, I hope a mirrorless mount allow for a pro grade sensor size in the future.
I'm afraid that if the MILC is for entry level means that no one will move up from entry k-mount to semi/pro k-mount cameras. In the long term, the old k-mount will die.
01-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Pentax joining the m4/3-standard with one (of the) camera(s) might be a good decision due to the already existing lens line-up. Future Pentax glass with e.g. the well known and respected "Limited"-brand could be sold to other users of this standard, which actually might be a good marketing idea after all. At first sight, my post [(cited by bobmaxja and Mistral75) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1346585-post48.html] seems to assist the rumor of a "110D" with m4/3 mount. Tokina could (again) launch lenses patented by Hoya/Pentax. This might point towards an upcoming m4/3 by Pentax. On the other hand, the corresponding Tokina pendants were never available for a mount which Pentax used. Why should Pentax decrease their possible market share by allowing Tokina to realise their patents ... if they really want to (partly) join m4/3? Maybe it is worthwhile to further search the patent database...

Nikon's way to "differentiate" seems now pretty clear: Mirrorless Rumors
QuoteQuote:
Nikons new mirrorless solution will be the first system to satusfy the Pros! [...] Nikon believes an amateur mirrorless system would not have appealed current mirrorless users and only cannibalize their very good selling entry level DSRL market.

01-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #68
Inactive Account

I don't want to see a Pentax micro4/3 camera
by making an APS-C based EVIL camera and maybe seling m4/3 lens patent rights to Tokina, Pentax would be able to play in both "fields" and by doing so, play it safe
personally, I don't see m4/3 getting too much attention once more companies roll out their APS-C EVIL cameras
01-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #69
Pentaxian

An additional consideration: the patent application for the three lenses with an image circle of 21.6mm (8mm f/2.8, 17mm f/2 and 14mm f/2.8) was filled by Pentax on 4 November 2008.

The µ4/3 system was announced by Panasonic and Olympus on 5 August 2008, only four months before.

Either Pentax was well informed / very quick in developing the corresponding formulas or (more probably) these three lenses are meant for 4/3 bodies, not µ4/3 ones.
01-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #70
Veteran Member

The "trusted sources" are now saying Nikon will announce a high end, pro-spec mirrorless camera in April. If that is true Pentax is going to have one tough mountain to climb. IMO m4/3's, Sony, and Samsung have the entry level market pretty well covered, but the one area lacking is cameras for advanced users. It sounds like Nikon has also noticed that omission and plans to do something about it.

Even though I prefer larger sensors, part of my just wishes Pentax would join m4/3's.
01-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #71
Banned

Problem of those small evil's is they lack space for a decent battery and most of them are just slowish wich make them off no interest for enthousiast photographers.
01-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
+1

Why would a Pentax-DSLR-owner buy a mirrorless camera from Pentax?
mirrorless = the new P&S, at the rate of it's acceptance via pricing and perceived "better quality" over current P&S it may very well put current P&S into extinction in the future. This may be the reason for the Pentax DSLR owner to replace his current P&S with something "better" even more portable ...hopefully just as durable, weather resistance, etc.
01-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Problem of those small evil's is they lack space for a decent battery and most of them are just slowish wich make them off no interest for enthousiast photographers.
My GH2 is much faster than my K20d and my wife's K-x. Menus and selections are faster. Locks focus faster and more accurately. Chimping and adjusting with the EVF is faster as well.
01-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Perhaps you shouldn't speak for all enthusiasts. There are different needs. I love the size of a big DSLR's for studio stuff, but I have no desire to use one for anything else. As far as battery life goes; I never had a single issue with either my E-P1 or NEX-3. Autofocus speed is also perfectly fine (especially on the Panasonic cameras). A sports photographer may want more, but I never had a speed issue for street, travel, portrait work, or landscapes (obviously).
01-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't know if I can believe the rumour that they're releasing two cameras. But the mirrorless with support for SDM in some sort WILL interfere with the K-x/r and this is a good thing IMHO. It would be a second camera for K-5 users and a new entry level for upgraders.

I keep saying: the entry-level dSLR market will disappear entirely. It will happen after Canikon launched their mirrorless products. But dSLRs like K-5, D7000 and 7D will soon be under $1000 and fill the gap. What is enthusiast APSC today ($1500+) will soon be full frame only. I am just repeating what I always say though
Sounds very likely. This mirrorless camera is a chance for Pentax to re-invent themselves to some degree. I hope they keep it LEAN AND MEAN.

No weather resistance (this adds cost - it isn't for free - duh)

12 megapixel sensor of the Kr, Kx for low light performance.

Skip the VF, go with the LCD on back, articulated maybe. (LCD is just way too useful for menu choices, showing others, etc to be left off)

Keep the cost low, otherwise its a non-starter. Everyone seems to want these deluxe features like weather resistance - but noone wants to pay for them - witness the numerous recent complaints about K5's starting price.

Best wishes to Pentax!