Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pentax mirrorless has been just officially confirmed by Mr. Hiraku Kawauchi Product Planning Manager however no technical details... Entrevista con Mr. Hiraku Kawauchi, de Pentax - DSLR Magazine somebody speaks spanish...?

02-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Babelfished translation says nothing more than before: lots of possibilities with mirrorless, cool idea etc. but they wanna do something different and by such, will likely wait for others (Nikon) to show what they have first.
03-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #243

small as possible please

I am personally interested in whatever system achieves 3 things:

As small as possible.
A normal with some DOF control.
Ultra-wide.

I just got a GF1 used... I am not going to get too attached to it though until everyone's game is out.

Nikon/Pentax lens compatibility is unlikely. Nikon and Canon are sure to use their own systems.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pentax in the m4/3 camp, but with something unique to offer.

Sourcing sensor from Sony? I don't see why Sony would want to produce a sensor that could help undercut their NEX market which is APS-C...

Next smaller sensor after 4/3 is the types used in cameras like the LX3/S90 etc, which is the current rumor for Pentax. Such a sensor selection will kill DOF control.

If I were Pentax I would join m4/3 and release an enthusiast camera, that is the smallest in the class, and some limited quality lenses. Pentax is a nitch player right now, this would be the best way to get more loyalty and have a good lens selection at the start of the system.
03-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #244
juu
Veteran Member

For the GF1 which you have:
QuoteOriginally posted by drwho9437:
As small as possible.
Not there yet, but quite close. I'm sure we will see an even smaller m43 body out in the next year (smaller than GF2).

QuoteQuote:
A normal with some DOF control.
20mm f/1.7 probably counts. 17mm f/2.8 as well.

QuoteQuote:
Ultra-wide.
Olympus m.Zuiko 9-18mm. Small, good IQ, 155 grams. Fits in a jacket pocket with the GF1.

A smaller CF would struggle to do your second point, but would do the first point easier.

03-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #245

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My dreams:
- smaller lenses than m43
- SR
- options or models with flip-out touchscreen or EVF
- kits with small long-normal prime at launch in North America (not wide angle like NEX)
- no stupid ergonomic or quality mistakes
- maybe a 22mm/2.4, 10-17mm/4 rectilinear, 40mm/2.8 2:1 Macro, 28-70mm/4, 80-160/4-5.6 to start? (55mm, 25-42mm, 100mm, 70-175mm, 200-400mm equivalents). Just by making these lenses on such a small format, and making them small, Pentax could prove once again that they are the best lens maker.
- usable access to exposure compensation, metering mode, focus lock, exposure lock, and ISO/Av/Tv

Edit: Alternatively, I might settle for the NEX system if they had a cheap kit with a fast prime in the 28-36mm range (42-55mm equiv) that was as compact as their 16mm. They have the articulated screen, and their body size and price is fine. I could carry the zoom lens in my pocket. (I would not have said this before the NEX firmware update 0.3 where they added magnified manual focus assist and programmable buttons. Before that it seemed they were completely clueless about real photography.) I still think the zoom lenses are too big, but I'd live with them if there was a small normal prime.

Last edited by Michael Barker; 03-08-2011 at 02:37 PM.
03-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #246

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
For the GF1 which you have:
Not there yet, but quite close. I'm sure we will see an even smaller m43 body out in the next year (smaller than GF2).

20mm f/1.7 probably counts. 17mm f/2.8 as well.

Olympus m.Zuiko 9-18mm. Small, good IQ, 155 grams. Fits in a jacket pocket with the GF1.

A smaller CF would struggle to do your second point, but would do the first point easier.
Why do you think I got a GF1... You are quite right.

I did a calculation on dpreview that showed that you could reduce the volume of the m4/3 at most 50% (so 50% in one dimension is really best case).

I agree that m4/3 meets pretty much my requirements, my only real wish is smaller. I doubt the 9-18mm will be beatable in terms of weight and yes that is my pick over the 7-14 both because of cost/mass, but also because a 36 mm eff length is a good FOV for walking around with a single lens. Basically a 9-18 zoom is close to ideal for travel. When paired with the pocketable 20 which I also have you can shoot fast normal for people/inside and 9-18 for everything else. It is a good system.

I went to New Zealand with only a Sigma 10-20 and a 35mm f2 (Canon 1.6x), and can't say I felt myself missing the longer reach often. The truth probably is that the 9-18 is probably as small as it is going to get for a decent ultrawide and that even with 10mm chopped off the thickness of a m4/3 camera it still won't fit in a pocket. Which is a bit of a shame. I'd love to have a camera that goes to 16 mm effective and could go in at least a jacket pocket without issue. The GF1 + 9-18mm isn't going to quite do that.
03-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #247

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

We're more likely to see unicorns before this mythical Auto 110 successor.

Don't be so sure about that. If people keep canning unicorn meat for mass consumption the world will soon run out of sparkles and magic. We'll have to turn to Pixie dust for solutions requiring magic and then we'll still have to find some faith and trust. Stop killing and canning the unicorns!!

03-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
Don't be so sure about that. If people keep canning unicorn meat for mass consumption the world will soon run out of sparkles and magic. We'll have to turn to Pixie dust for solutions requiring magic and then we'll still have to find some faith and trust. Stop killing and canning the unicorns!!
ThinkGeek :: Canned Unicorn Meat
03-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #249
Veteran Member

I guess the Mirrorless is soon to be annouced. =)
03-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #250
Veteran Member

This will only be of interest to me (and to many others as well) if they produce a line of proportionately smaller K mount lenses. I cannot see myself buying a small, mirrorless body, if I can only attach large lenses to it. The whole point of an EVIL camera is small size and low weight while still being able to deliver high IQ. Yes, some of the pancake lenses would fit the bill, but I think that there will have to be some diminutive zoom lenses also.

Rob
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #251
Veteran Member

robgo2 =) Your Dream Might Come true in the following months.
03-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
robgo2 =) Your Dream Might Come true in the following months.
Actually, a mirrorless camera is not something that I dream about at this point. I was merely speculating on what I would want from such a camera, if I ever do want one. Is that perfectly clear?
03-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #253

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
This will only be of interest to me (and to many others as well) if they produce a line of proportionately smaller K mount lenses. I cannot see myself buying a small, mirrorless body, if I can only attach large lenses to it. The whole point of an EVIL camera is small size and low weight while still being able to deliver high IQ.
Rob
Electronic-Viewfinder / Interchangeable-Lens

I imagine things differently, 'EVIL' doesn't automaticaly mean small camera to me.

Never mind other camera manufacturers current ideas and products, think Pentax:
Imagine a K-x or K-r sized entry level body (I-L camera..) but with an internal E-V,

A few quick advantages would be adjustable magnification of the E-V
for easier manual focusing, easier internal reviewing of your pics in bright sunlight
instead of on the rear LCD, confiming if your exposure/focus is ok.

No mechanical shutter also means faster flash sync speed,
removal of a moving assembly / source of vibration.

As I mentionned a few times before in similar discussions,
Google up my favorite spare camera, the 'Fujifilm FinePix S9100' (way back from 2006 or so),

make something similar with a K-mount for the Point & Shoot newbies who want a 'big camera' that easier to use
and for the advanced enthusiasts Pentax followers that have already invested in K-mount lenses and who
are ready to move into future camera technologies.

Keep the 'mirror DSLR's' for the top of the line models, if the experts/pro's still want them...

Michel

Last edited by mlatour; 03-23-2011 at 04:05 AM.
03-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Actually, a mirrorless camera is not something that I dream about at this point. I was merely speculating on what I would want from such a camera, if I ever do want one. Is that perfectly clear?
@robgo2
Okay then. Its clear. =)

I guess the mirrroless pentax has died down.

@mlatour
One thing for certain though, Pentax knows how to design compact interchangeable lens. Pentax users will be at home with it.

Regards to all.
03-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #255
Veteran Member

Update....

"NC-1" will have a system name. It seems the image circle is 21.6 mm but a different mount.
Attached Images