Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 01:45 AM   #361
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
...and better high ISO performance, so really, f/1.9 on a smaller sensor is worse than f/2 on a bigger sensor any way you slice it.
BSI CMOS 1/2.33" could be not worse than CCD 1/1.63" in terms of noise.

Last edited by ogl; 03-31-2011 at 02:07 AM.
03-31-2011, 01:47 AM   #362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
BSI CMOS 1/2.33" is not worse than CCD 1/1.63".
You can say that, but unless you're talking about two specific sensors and two specific aspects, instead of generalities, it means nothing.
03-31-2011, 02:06 AM   #363
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
You can say that, but unless you're talking about two specific sensors and two specific aspects, instead of generalities, it means nothing.
CCD 1/1.6" is noisy - it's a fact.
03-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
CCD 1/1.6" is noisy - it's a fact.
Sure, but if you think whatever sensor is in the NC-1 is NOT going to be noisy you're deluding yourself. It's 14 megapixels! And there are no indications, as far as I know, that it is going to be a backlit type -- even if it is, that only helps a little. If it outperforms the 10MP sensor in the Olympus XZ-1, that would be a huge sensation.

03-31-2011, 02:18 AM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
It's what many have foreseen since the beginning of the year. A digital Auto110. It's not similar in design, probabily it will not be compatible with those old lenses, but it's directed to the same market. A toy DSRL, with modest IQ (as it was for 110 film), able to sit in the palm of your hand. And it makes movie too.
If true, I won't buy it. Period. I'll rather get an adapter and buy one of the small cams from another manufacturer.
03-31-2011, 02:22 AM   #366
Veteran Member

It's always a lot of fun to read through those rumor posts, but at the end of the day, one have to hold the camera and extensively test it to give a fair count of a camera/system strong points.

So far we only have limited information about this camera and lenses and everybody starts screaming. We don't know so far what is Pentax vision for this system. We don't know if 1.9 is the maximum aperture allowed on this mount (I dount it) We don't know what range of lenses will available at launch. So why getting angry?

I wouldn't expect it to behave as good as the K5 in low light, to have a blasingly fast AF, but this may well be a very good travel camera for daylight instant pictures.

Lets wait and see
03-31-2011, 02:34 AM   #367
Pentaxian

One thing is for sure: the optical quality of the lenses should be quite, quite good compared to the dull little and slow zooms usually found on the Optios and the I-10.

03-31-2011, 02:34 AM   #368
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
If true, I won't buy it. Period. I'll rather get an adapter and buy one of the small cams from another manufacturer.
Even if it did support Auto 110 lenses, the 24 mm lens would be 144 mm-e, and the 50 mm lens would be 300 mm-e, so I hope you like tele. Furthermore, there would be no way to stop them down from f/2.8 since the aperture mechanism was in-body on the Auto 110, so I hope you like wide-open tele lenses on a small sensor. Also, the mount is clearly larger than the Auto 110 mount, looking at the pictures, so I guess you won't be buying the camera.
03-31-2011, 02:43 AM   #369
Inactive Account

What about the mount on the other APS-C camera? Zack mentions "only SDM" support.
That means no screw support.

But will the K-mount SDM/DC lenses fit?

Or will it have new mount? Thats Imho the biggest most important question!
03-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #370
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
What about the mount on the other APS-C camera? Zack mentions "only SDM" support.
That means no screw support.

But will the K-mount SDM/DC lenses fit?

Or will it have new mount? Thats Imho the biggest most important question!
It's reasonably. New smaller mount.
No screw-drive. EVIL will work with K mount via adapter - I think.
03-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #371
Veteran Member

This camera? I bet this is the clone of the Kenko camera with C-mount.
03-31-2011, 02:52 AM   #372
ogl
Banned

Not clone, but...analogue.
03-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #373
Veteran Member

and Video added

Hope it's actually C mount because that would give an enormous selection of lenses for it (some really good many really bad)
03-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #374
Veteran Member

Unlike some people, I'm willing to wait and see what Pentax comes up with regarding the NC-1. I'm not expecting miracles out of it, that it would be enough to make us throw away our DSLRs. The only 1/2.3" sensor I've worked with lately is the one on the GXR's P10 unit, and while it isn't as clean image noise-wise as experienced photographers would like it to be, it's good enough for daily use and for less demanding hobbyists who would rather have the portability than supreme image quality.

The lone concern I have as of now for this system is how much (or how little) DOF control a user would have, owing to the small sensor. While I don't need a Noctilux f/0.95 on a 35mm camera kind of DOF control, it would be nice to use aperture control for more than just a means to control ISO and shutter speed to one's liking. We'll see.
03-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #375

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
How could, at the same time, 8.5mm be equivalent to 35mm and 15mm to 70mm?
Picky, picky. 37.9mm and 22-67mm, or 40mm and 24-72mm then. Any of these are close to 1/1.6 or 1/1.7 sensors like the Canon G12, Panasonic LX5, Olympus XZ-1, etc. Interchangeable lenses might be a nice differentiator in the company of those cameras.

In any case, the focal lengths on the images are unreadable.

Anyway I ran this image through errorlevelanalysis.com.

It looks fishy. See the round white areas that stand out near the DA marking on each lens? The fact these areas stand out in the ELA might mean that area had a different amount of processing applied. Then again, it could just be because they are red, as the site says "It is worth noting that edges and areas red in colour are often depicted as brighter in the ELA tests. This due to the way the photos are saved by various programs. It is not proof that image was manipulated.".

Forensic Error Level Analysis Results for http://www.mirrorles...

"Error level analysis allows you see to see the difference in quality level, represented by brightness. Things which are very bright have been edited most recently, whilst duller parts have been resaved multiple times."

I'm not sure we can make a clear conclusion from this analysis. An example of a clear conclusion with this tool is here: http://www.nameofscience.com/2010/05/image-error-level-analysis.html

Last edited by Michael Barker; 03-31-2011 at 08:54 AM.