Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #496
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
As far as I am aware, F stops are not guarenteed to produce the same amount of light on different size lenses in ratio to aperature size. the f-number is the focal length divided by the "effective"
aperture diameter.
The f-number is focal length divided by the aperture (the size of the virtual image of the aperture, not the physical size of it), nothing more. The old uncoated lenses might have quite large difference between the F- and T-stops - this is why in the old days lenses often had very few air-glass-surfaces.

QuoteQuote:
Many have never heard of T stops and indeed their importance is gradually being eroded by modern lens coating that "gather light".
woody
Coatings do not "gather light", but minimize reflections. An uncoated air-glass surface typically reflects 4% of the light - with modern multicoatings this is way below 1%.

(T-stops aren't really too important for stills anyhow, but for movies (mainly film, not that much for digital as it is easy to correct in post) to make sure the exposure remains constant when optics are changed.

04-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #497

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
T stop info is hard to come by except for lenses used in film production where tstop is a standard because of its accuracy allowing the same scene being shot with 2different lenses to meld better when cut together for instance
Its a great thing but introducing it to still shooting would raise the level of confusion imho
Yep eddie I agree. However I was pointing out Caninkins argument was bordering on T stop territory rather then F stop.

woody
04-20-2011, 03:00 AM   #498

Photos: Gallery
No news, not even a leak or a drip?

Any news anyone? Am trying to decide between K5 and what might be a weatherproof mirrorless, and am thinking something small to carry makes better sense for my needs. Speculation on this seems to have died down. Surely someone has a leak they can drip feed us?

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think we need a new thread because this is going to become real. It is not about the rumor spread by photo rumors or the "we never rule anything out" interview.

I decided to share this much of what I heard about the forthcoming mirrorless camera from Pentax. Note that none of this is what I heard from Pentax interns (because then I probably wouldn't want to share in order not to compromise my sources). The information may be false actually. But personally, I think it is trustworthy.

Call it a dream But some of my dreams come true

Here we go:

Pentax is going to release a mirrorless camera indeed. It will already happen around the end of this quarter. It may already go into testing next month. And it will support AF for K-mount SDM lenses, most likely via an adapter. So, the "we never rule anything out" comments from Pentax must be part of a game which is already taking place and which I don't appreciate.

Here, you have it in a nutshell. I'm sure we will hear more about it soon. I can only hope that Pentax doesn't forget to fix the K-5 firmware bugs. Because, I am sure, the K-5 is still more exciting for enthusiasts after the dust will have settled
04-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #499
Veteran Member

When will this be news rather than rumor? I'd love to see the NC-1 in the flesh, which If i read through this enormous thread correctly is a "small" sensor mirrorless interchangeable lens compact. I, however, would like to see an APS-C mirrorless or even something to challenge the micro 4/3 or the s95/lx-5/zx-1 space.

04-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #500

I would say that with the K-r falling to $500, there 's room for an APS-C mirrorless with the K-5 sensor. Though the really interesting camera would be a full frame mirrorless metering correctly with manual lenses, not the stop down metering silliness.
As far as advanced compacts go, the space is really very tight. There are those interesting cameras you mention, but it is mainly the Samsung EX-1 (TL-500) that makes the difference. Far superior.

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
When will this be news rather than rumor? I'd love to see the NC-1 in the flesh, which If i read through this enormous thread correctly is a "small" sensor mirrorless interchangeable lens compact. I, however, would like to see an APS-C mirrorless or even something to challenge the micro 4/3 or the s95/lx-5/zx-1 space.
04-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #501
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for the guys arguing over DOF and lack thereof on the small sensor unlimited DOF has it's uses too. here's a video of the Frazier Infinity lens performance. some very neat tricks available with ridiculous deep dof

the wiki on the lens

Frazier lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
04-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
for the guys arguing over DOF and lack thereof on the small sensor unlimited DOF has it's uses too. here's a video of the Frazier Infinity lens performance. some very neat tricks available with ridiculous deep dof

YouTube - Frazier Ultimate

the wiki on the lens

Frazier lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's cool, but they must be amateurs.

REAL photographers shoot in nothing but candlelight with only one object in focus while the rest of the frame is filled with delicious, creamy, bokeh?

04-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #503
Veteran Member

LMFAO John
you forgot they only do it with a leica, because all other cameras aren't used by real photographers
04-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #504
Veteran Member

As time goes by ....

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
Any news anyone? Am trying to decide between K5 and what might be a weatherproof mirrorless, and am thinking something small to carry makes better sense for my needs. Speculation on this seems to have died down. Surely someone has a leak they can drip feed us?
It's time to note that Falk's "this quarter" is now our "last quarter". He did write that it would be around the end of what is now last quarter. So we may be overdue but not by much.

And we must take natural disasters into account. If there were only a single part that must come from a facility or organization that's now out of service, we would still be waiting for a camera. If we are missing a testing facility, a review team, manufacturing planning capability, etc., we're still out of business.

I think we forget that problems can arise from simple things, like a person or group that's doing disaster recovery rather than their regular work.

I, for one, can wait. If it's too large to carry in a belt pouch, particularly if I'd use existing glass, I'll stick with my K-5. Doesn't make much difference to me whether I carry a small bag or a medium bag. Fortunately, others are looking forward to it. As long as Hoya/Pentax makes more money on the deal, I'm fine.

With that out of the way, which colors should we be asking for ?
04-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #505
Veteran Member

my vote is for the black/white camo the kr is coming in
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #506
Veteran Member

turquoise ... with neon green details

or bronze-golden-foresttree-metallic brown with strawberry red.

please

ok, that will not happen in europe

04-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #507
Veteran Member

that new rainbow one would sell like hotcakes here for gay pride at the end of June, matter of fact i think they are missing the boat not releasing it over here in select markets as a Pride edition, with a portion of sales going to aids research or some such, it would be hugely successful i think (at least in toronto san fran new york la)
04-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #508

You are right

I think you are spot on in your assessment of parts availability etc. Each to their own of course! I have been obsessing over the K5 for months, but have started to realise I am missing shots during the work day: I work in the centre of Melbourne, just next to the city square with a long shallow water feature with lots of interesting reflections. (I think I scared some tourists one day as I noticed the water flow had been switched off and there fantastic reflections, and could not help telling someone pointing a camera at building that there was a great shot nearby. OMG)

Colours? H'mm I wonder how a transparent case would look?

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
It's time to note that Falk's "this quarter" is now our "last quarter". He did write that it would be around the end of what is now last quarter. So we may be overdue but not by much.

And we must take natural disasters into account. If there were only a single part that must come from a facility or organization that's now out of service, we would still be waiting for a camera. If we are missing a testing facility, a review team, manufacturing planning capability, etc., we're still out of business.

I think we forget that problems can arise from simple things, like a person or group that's doing disaster recovery rather than their regular work.

I, for one, can wait. If it's too large to carry in a belt pouch, particularly if I'd use existing glass, I'll stick with my K-5. Doesn't make much difference to me whether I carry a small bag or a medium bag. Fortunately, others are looking forward to it. As long as Hoya/Pentax makes more money on the deal, I'm fine.

With that out of the way, which colors should we be asking for ?

Last edited by Stefan Carey; 04-21-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
04-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #509
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote

And we must take natural disasters into account.
I must admit that I didn't receive recent information about what is going on with the Pentax Mirrorless. I assume that the Japan crisis switched attention to get things rolling again rather than release new stuff. Even if Pentax were 100% ok, they would be reluctant to release anything now because the rest of the photo industry doesn't.

If I am not mistaken, everything being produced right now sells.
04-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #510
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I must admit that I didn't receive recent information about what is going on with the Pentax Mirrorless. I assume that the Japan crisis switched attention to get things rolling again rather than release new stuff. Even if Pentax were 100% ok, they would be reluctant to release anything now because the rest of the photo industry doesn't.

If I am not mistaken, everything being produced right now sells.
I think the entire Japanese marketing industry ground to a halt following the quake & tsunami. Several friends reported that for several days after the initial incidents no one was buying TV ads in Japan. The advertising association was airing charity ads and the like.