Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Amateur Photographer has been around for a long time, and is generally, in my long-term reading of it, a very fair and rounded photographic magazine. It lost an experienced and objective guiding hand when long-term contributor Geoffrey Crawley passed away last year, but even so, it has always reviewed gear across the board, without fear or favouritism, which is much more than you can say about a lot of the more "popular" photo magazines.

So, criticise some of the individual reviewer's findings if you like, but some of the derogatory comments in this thread about the publication as a whole are ill-deserved and not founded in depth of knowledge of it.

01-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
They actually gave the D7000 9/10 for build quality yet K-5 gets 8/10
Totally ludicrous. I think they got it backwards.
01-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Totally ludicrous. I think they got it backwards.
Maybe they tested with with a DA*16-50 attached

Pat
01-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
They actually gave the D7000 9/10 for build quality yet K-5 gets 8/10
.... I don't think the K-5/K-7 loses in build quality or ergonomics to anything less than a 1D or D3 series camera..

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Which camera has more dynamic range than a K-5? Not one exists: at any price.
I think the ludicrous DR on the K-5 is largely in part due to the almost non-existent readout noise. If you look at the DPreview, the K-5 is showing a fairly standard for APS-C 2.9 stop range on the highlight side. Turning on highlight priority, which underexposes the image then boosts the shadows, brings the highlight range up to 3.9 stops without any impact on the shadow range. The 5dmk2, however, also has a highlight expansion mode which brings it up to about 4.3 ev on the highlight side.

As good as the K-5 is, I just don't think APS-C sensors can hold on to DR in the highlight range at high ISOs as well as FF sensors. But, in the shadow range, I don't think there is anything on the market that can compare to the K-5 sensor's low readout noise.

02-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i just read the copy when AP put a review on 60D, they gave 60D 9 for build..
02-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
i just read the copy when AP put a review on 60D, they gave 60D 9 for build..
Well in last weeks edition the K-r got the same marks for build quality as the K-5 .. go figure
02-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #37
Forum Member

the K-r actually got a higher review than the K-5, 86% versus 85%.

They said that the dynamic range was higher with the K-r (9 versus 8 for K-5) and colour / whitebalance was better with the K-r and the build / handling of the K-r and K-5 were equal, really? LCD/viewfinder also tied despite the K-5 being 100% accurate.

Totally inconsistent review criteria.