Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
The whole point of mirorless interchangeable lens cameras is compactness. At the moment, they are not that smaller.
Not necessarily. I, as well as many other mirrorless users, view them as DSLR replacements in a smaller size. There is no way this will be a DSLR replacement.

I guess I'm disappointed because I've already decide the K-7 will be my last DSLR; and if Pentax's mirrorless system is using a 1/2.33 sensor that means the K-7 will also be the last Pentax camera I own (unless Pentax makes a digital full frame Pentax LX).

02-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Not necessarily. I, as well as many other mirrorless users, view them as DSLR replacements in a smaller size. There is no way this will be a DSLR replacement.

I guess I'm disappointed because I've already decide the K-7 will be my last DSLR; and if Pentax's mirrorless system is using a 1/2.33 sensor that means the K-7 will also be the last Pentax camera I own (unless Pentax makes a digital full frame Pentax LX).
unless someone comes up with something a lot better than what i see right now in mirror-less, i wouldn't replace my slr with it. the only apsc is the sony and it's got horrible design for me. m4/3 is pretty nice but the sensors still don't touch the apsc sensors in their price class
and they just aren't much smaller than a kx or kr (or k7 for that matter)
A lot of people will but this just on size is my guess. whether it is enough people to qualify it as successful who knows. but bear in mind there are a lot more point shoots sold worldwide than Mirrorless/dslr and medium format combined
02-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
unless someone comes up with something a lot better than what i see right now in mirror-less
That's exactly what I was hoping Pentax would do. Olympus' upcoming pro-grade PEN or the Sony NEX-7 should both be true DSLR replacements. So I guess either of those will do for me, but I really wanted to stick with Pentax. I've already owned an E-P1 and a NEX-3; both were fun cameras, and I was especially prolific in the short time I had the E-P1 because it was such a fun camera I wanted to use it ever chance I got, but the lack of weather sealing and lack of EVF made me sell both. One day I'll get my poor mans Leica M...I hope.
02-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #154
Veteran Member

mirrorlessrumors.com/pentax-mirrorless-system-with-ultratiny-sensor-5x

What a complete and total waste of R&D resources by Pentax. An interchangeable lens camera with a sensor that small is utterly pointless. Just buy a freaking P&S if you want a small sensor camera that fits in your pocket. Ugggghhh!
I don't buy this rumor. Jumping to conclusions.

There is no point making a camera smaller than giving it a 1" mount (CS mount size). That's tiny already. The Auto 100 which the rimor says is the original to be copied has a mount about this diameter too.

The Auto 110 is a crop 2.0x camera (like FT) and the Pentax C/CS lenses for 2/3" specify a FoV which horizontally is exactly 50% of 2/3", corresponding to a crop factor of 4.0x and some 1" C lenses almost go up to 2.0x crop.

So, if Auto 110 is 2x crop and C mount is about 3x crop then I don't see why to assume that Pentax would plan to release a 5.6x crop camera (1/2" C mount). Just doesn't make sense. Except of course they need a still body for thier $12,000 C61233WP lens which is 1/2" only

Last edited by falconeye; 02-03-2011 at 09:05 AM.
02-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #155
Inactive Account

have to agree, this seems weird
but still, very interesting .. if the really manage to put out a pocketable interchangeable system, it might have a future
02-03-2011, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #156
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

There is no point making a camera smaller than giving it a 1" mount (CS mount size). That's tiny already. The Auto 100 which the rimor says is the original to be copied has a mount about this diameter too.

The Auto 110 is a crop 2.0x camera (like FT) and the Pentax C/CS lenses for 2/3" specify a FoV which horizontally is exactly 50% of 2/3", corresponding to a crop factor of 4.0x and some 1" C lenses almost go up to 2.0x crop.

So, if Auto 110 is 2x crop and C mount is about 3x crop then I don't see why to assume that Pentax would plan to release a 5.6x crop camera (1/2" C mount). Just doesn't make sense. Except of course they need a still body for thier $12,000 C61233WP lens which is 1/2" only
maybe they will introduce the bigger sensor after ... in the future we could expect the next iteration in pentax products from x5.6 to x2 and from x1.5 to x1 and a true 645d system ... seams sensible

personally, this sounds very interesting to me ... I probably wouldn't buy it, but a lot of people would ... IF Pentax made it really pocketable AND they made a few small f1.0 lenses ... of course, the system wouldn't be about DOF control, but about available light and pocketable size

seriously, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense
Sony NEX and m4/3 arent pocketable ... they are only a fragment (or two :P) smaller than a Pentax DSLR with a Limited on to it ... if you can't pocket it easily, whats the difference between it and a K5 with a limited?

Last edited by dankoBanana; 02-03-2011 at 09:38 AM.
02-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
Sony NEX and m4/3 arent pocketable ... they are only a fragment (or two :P) smaller than a Pentax DSLR with a Limited on to it ... if you can't pocket it easily, whats the difference between it and a K5 with a limited?
Carry a NEX-3 in a messenger pack for a few days in a row, then try the same with a K-5 and you'll understand real quick what the difference is. I took my K-7 and my NEX-3 on my last trip to NYC. I carried the K-7 for all of two hours before I put it back in my suitcase. I used the NEX-3 for the rest of the trip and got a ton of shots I wouldn't have gotten with the K-7 unless I wanted to walk around with it dangling from my neck or inside of a more heavy duty back back so that the weight of the camera is spread out more evenly making it less bothersome. Neither of those two solutions are acceptable to me while on photo walks.

02-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #158
juu
Veteran Member

I find it hard to believe this rumour. If true, I don't really think that's the right solution for Pentax.
02-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #159
Inactive Account

Carry a NEX-3 in a messenger pack for a few days in a row, then try the same with a K-5 and you'll understand real quick what the difference is. I took my K-7 and my NEX-3 on my last trip to NYC. I carried the K-7 for all of two hours before I put it back in my suitcase. I used the NEX-3 for the rest of the trip and got a ton of shots I wouldn't have gotten with the K-7 unless I wanted to walk around with it dangling from my neck or inside of a more heavy duty back back so that the weight of the camera is spread out more evenly making it less bothersome. Neither of those two solutions are acceptable to me while on photo walks.
true, but the NEX is only acceptable with a prime while the zooms are equally large
02-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #160
Veteran Member

true, but the NEX is only acceptable with a prime while the zooms are equally large
I'm a firm believer in primes make people better photographers, so good. Maybe I;ll see less crap when browsing Flickr

That said, if a person does need a zoom the 18-55mm NEX lens is so light it wasn't a bother at all. The collapsible 14-42mm Olympus lens is obviously even better.
02-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

May be because the corresponding sensor is available, widely sold and therefore quite cheap whilst a sensor dedicated to Pentax's needs would be much more expensive?
02-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #162
Veteran Member

maybe they will introduce the bigger sensor after ... in the future we could expect the next iteration in pentax products from x5.6 to x2 and from x1.5 to x1 and a true 645d system ... seams sensible
I'm not sure about sensible, but it certainly sounds like something a Marketing department could come up with. But surely the x2 sensors are affordable enough to make right now that there's no need to develop a x5.6 in the mean time?

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I reserve judgment until there are actual picture samples available.
Come, come. This is an Internet forum, no place for reason! I do have to say I like the idea of a system based in part on manual-focus lenses.
02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #163
Inactive Account

Pentax mirrorless system with ultratiny sensor (5.6x crop)!

Mirrorless Rumors | Home
02-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #164
Forum Member

if they pack this little tiny shitholes to every DSLR, then why not? but P&S with interchangeable lenses is really weird idea. i hoped for something like rangefinder and i get this ...
02-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zelovoc Quote
if they pack this little tiny shitholes to every DSLR, then why not? but P&S with interchangeable lenses is really weird idea. i hoped for something like rangefinder and i get this ...
no point hoping for a Pentax rangefinder, they never made one and pretty much created the market that made rangefinders a niche product
Not that i don't love rangefinders i do but you have a better chance of canikon launching one at least they have a history with them and legacy lenses