Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #166
Pentaxian

Well, I'll be watching eBay, 'cause if this is true, Ned is for sure going to sell his Lumix

02-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Well, I'll be watching eBay, 'cause if this is true, Ned is for sure going to sell his Lumix
LMAO post of the day
02-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #168
Pentaxian

I wonder if Ned ever returned his K-5.
02-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #169

12-660mm zoom will be hard to beat :-)

02-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #170
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
Pentax mirrorless system with ultratiny sensor (5.6x crop)!

Mirrorless Rumors | Home
A sensor smaller and body bigger than my iPhone 4?

Gotta luv rumours.
02-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

Gotta luv rumours.
1/2.3...really pointless with interchangeble lens...at least at a 1/1.7 sensor...
02-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
iPhone 4 has a significantly smaller sensor than 1/2.3" (on Falk Lumos blog I found an estimate of a 5.67 mm diagonal sensor).

(the iPhone 4 camera is surprisingly good, though. Except for the fact that it's only usable for wide angle shots, I'm pleasantly surprised by the pictures I get from my iPhone 4)
02-04-2011, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #173
Forum Member

Even my moto ZN5 have a 1/2.5" sensor. Could pentax make the camera smaller than my ZN5? If yes, maybe I could ignore the lack of cellphone function in this funny "NC-1"

02-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
Even my moto ZN5 have a 1/2.5" sensor. Could pentax make the camera smaller than my ZN5? If yes, maybe I could ignore the lack of cellphone function in this funny "NC-1"
8^)

Here's something interesting:

QuoteQuote:
The sensor sizes of many compact digital cameras are expressed in terms of the non-standardized "inch" system, as approximately 1.5 times the length of the diagonal of the sensor. This goes back to the way image sizes of early video cameras were expressed in terms of the outside diameter of the glass envelope of the video camera tube. David Pogue of the New York Times states that "the actual sensor size is much smaller than what the camera companies publish about one-third smaller." For example, a camera advertising a 1/2.7" sensor does not have a sensor with a diagonal of 0.37"; instead, the diagonal is closer to 0.26".[6][7] Instead of "formats", these sensor sizes are often called types, as in "1/2-inch-type CCD." Most compact image sensors have an aspect ratio of 4:3. This matches the aspect ratio of the popular VGA, SVGA, and XGA display resolutions, allowing images to be displayed on most computer monitors without cropping.

As of December 2010[update], most compact digital cameras use 1/2.5" or 1/2.3" size sensors. Digicams with the 1/2.5" sensor size include the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18, Canon PowerShot A570 IS, Canon SD870 IS Digital ELPH (IXUS 860 IS), Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80, Canon Powershot S5is, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H7, Canon PowerShot TX1, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9, and Casio Exilim EX-V7. 1/2.3"-sensor digicams include the Kodak Easyshare M530, the Canon Powershot SX130 IS, the Fuji Finepix Z70, and the Nikon Coolpix S8100.
(from Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
02-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
iPhone 4 has a significantly smaller sensor than 1/2.3" (on Falk Lumos blog I found an estimate of a 5.67 mm diagonal sensor).

(the iPhone 4 camera is surprisingly good, though. Except for the fact that it's only usable for wide angle shots, I'm pleasantly surprised by the pictures I get from my iPhone 4)
The strange naming convention uses 16mm for an inch. (It might not have been the case in the olden days when these numbers were based on wafer size or something, but it seems to be true now.) That is, 5.67" diagonal = so-called 1/2.8".
02-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The strange naming convention uses 16mm for an inch. (It might not have been the case in the olden days when these numbers were based on wafer size or something, but it seems to be true now.) That is, 5.67" diagonal = so-called 1/2.8".
Not according to dpreview:
Sensor Sizes: Camera System: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

According to them, 1/3.2" has a 5.68mm diagonal.
02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #177
Pentaxian

Pentax should be able to utilize all their c-mount infrastructure to bring new lenses to market.
02-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #178

Mirrorless cameras have made great inroads because they make sense. They are cheaper to build, can be smaller in size, can produce the same quality image (using similar sized sensors) as their flipping mirror counterparts. In a few years, the only people that will be buying DSLRs are the people who need superfast autofocus.

I too believe that Pentax should both get on board with the existing m43 standard (by providing lens design and alternative body designs) AND possibly create their own standard with equal or higher quality than what they have now in APS-C. If Pentax decides to pursue the low-end of the market by themselves, they will fail since there is too much competition in this space as it already is. I also do not see the point of buying into an ILC system with a sensor that is smaller than the m43 standard. But, there is a large untapped space between the current mirrorless cameras (< $1000 m43 or APS-C sensor) and the $7000 Leica M8 (mirrorless, FF sensor). What I would like to see Pentax do is come out with a compact, rugged, weatherproof, mirrorless camera with a bigger than APS-C sensor with a set of small interchangable primes. Ideally, it could have a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor that is larger than m43 but not necessarily as large as FF (say 24mm x 32mm). Pentax can put out a set of 3 native lenses quickly and also provide an adaptor to allow one to use existing K-mount designs. The camera will come with a high quality EVF similar to the one in the Panny GH1. If Pentax can keep this camera at a reasonable price point, it will be an instant hit among the serious photography crowd.

Getting on a standard like m43 will keep Pentax in the game and could be all Pentax chooses to pursue at this point. But the first camera maker to come out with a reasonable cost, higher-end model that will allow me to make FF quality prints will get my money!
02-04-2011, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nfiduccia Quote
Mirrorless cameras have made great inroads because they make sense. They are cheaper to build, can be smaller in size, can produce the same quality image (using similar sized sensors) as their flipping mirror counterparts. In a few years, the only people that will be buying DSLRs are the people who need superfast autofocus.
Or want to see light rather than a TV screen.

QuoteQuote:
I too believe that Pentax should both get on board with the existing m43 standard (by providing lens design and alternative body designs) AND possibly create their own standard with equal or higher quality than what they have now in APS-C.
That's nonsense, really, it's trying to compete as a small company with both the big boys and people who do nothing else.

m43 just happens to be a successful bailout of a bad bet on 4/3 sensor tech. There's no reason to imitate the format or the platform just to compete over registration distance in the name of what, playing catch-up ball with Olympus?

Hands aren't getting any smaller: no need to try to enter the flat-camera-that-awkwardly-mounts-most-lenses-if-you-don't-mind 2x-crop-factor market. If Pentax goes EVF, they should *use the space.* In models without prism and mirror, you could still put one Hec of an EVF in there. Right where you can hold a camera properly, even with a lens on there.
02-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #180
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hands aren't getting any smaller: no need to try to enter the flat-camera-that-awkwardly-mounts-most-lenses-if-you-don't-mind 2x-crop-factor market. If Pentax goes EVF, they should *use the space.* In models without prism and mirror, you could still put one Hec of an EVF in there. Right where you can hold a camera properly, even with a lens on there.
I understand some people prefer large cameras, but I don't understand the flat camera's are an ergonomic nightmare argument. I don't know about most users, but I know when I'm hiking, traveling, or doing a photo walk I spend more time carrying it then I do shooting with it. Even when doing photo shoots with strobes I spend just as much time reviewing pics as I do holding the camera in the shooting position. So to me a camera the size and shape of an E-PL2 or Voigtlander Bessa R2A is ideal. Plenty comfortable to hold and use, and not a bother at all to carry around; unlike something like a Nikon D300.

Over the years I've owned a Pentax K1000, Canon G2, Pentax K100D, Pentax K10D, Nikon D200, Olympus E-P1, Canon G10, Voigtlander Bessa R2A, Pentax LX, Nikon FE2, Nikon F100, Canon 50D, Sony NEX-3, and now a Pentax K7. Out of all of those the Bessa R3A was the best combo of small enough not to be a bother to carry, yet large enough to comfortably shoot with all day.