Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #541
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I seem to recall Hyundai pulled out of auto sales in Japan a few years ago as there is fierce nationalistic loyalties and antagonisms to some brands based on country of origin.
Hyundai pulled the plug indeed. About 12-18 months ago IIRC. They had sold only a few thousand cars during their whole run in Japan; usually to fleet buyers. A good friend told me that they face the problem that Japanese buyers will go with a Japanese brand unless they have the money to buy German. There are a couple of small exceptions (Alfa Romeo, Renault) but again they're also European.

Samsung has had a hell of a time selling its branded wares in Japan. But then there are a lot of Japanese TV manufacturers still in operation (even if the internals are frequently made by Samsung or LG). Samsung gave up on selling computer monitors in Japan about the same time that Hyundai gave up.

This is in stark contrast to Korean TV, K-pop bands, and Korean food, which are all very popular (very).

[edit] meant to add that the friend reviews cars & mobile phones for a living

Last edited by uccemebug; 03-04-2011 at 01:17 PM.
03-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #542

I cannot recall seeing Samsung cameras in any of the "try out" areas in all large electronic stores in Japan....
03-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #544
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting indeed. Esp. as using "PEN-type" to mean mirrorless

But probably misleading:
1. Is mirrorless eating from the P&S/Brídge or the SLR segment? If the former, then the chart is meaningless.
2. What is the percentage of 2nd to SLR camera users?
3. 1% a month share growth = 90 months or 7 years to go to reach SLR volume. Which is 10% of the current P&S volume ...

One really requires more detailed analysis to draw any conclusions beyond the trivial fact that sooner or later, all cameras except for a niche will be mirrorless.

03-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Here's an interesting interview with Darin Pepple from Panasonic USA:

Imaging Resource Interview: Darin Pepple, Panasonic USA
Finally took some time to read this. I'm pleased to see that they intend to focus on a distinct product area for still photography. OTOH I find it mildly depressing that I'm the "old fogey" camp as defined by people who want dials instead of touch screens.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
1. Is mirrorless eating from the P&S/Brídge or the SLR segment? If the former, then the chart is meaningless.
Unless it shows a lasting willingness to embrace cameras with a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses in arguably the same form factor as the bridge camera. I think that's a pretty significant change.
03-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #546
Veteran Member

Market share isn't exactly my area of expertise or even a concern of mine truth be told (I own a Pentax after all ), but it is interesting to me that so many people are already using mirrorless cameras without a Canikon product in the market. Panasonic failed miserably at the DSLR business, yet they are doing great in the mirrorless market.

As I said, I'm no expert on this stuff (I like talking cameras and photography, not business and revenue), but it seems like after Canikon produces a mirrorless system market share will grow substantially; especially in the US. In most towns I've been to thanks to Walmart and Best Buy the only interchangeable lens cameras a person can test out in the flesh are by Canon, Nikon, and sometimes Sony. Once people start seeing Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras on the shelves at their local stores it will be interesting to see if entry level DSLR's are dethroned from atop of the sales ladder. I personally think they will be because I don't see any advantages in DSLR's for an average consumer (unless you consider large size to be an advantage). But that's just my opinion, and we all know how much those are worth.
03-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #547

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
Well, first, with m43 you also have Panasonic in addition to Olympus. So you need two companies to decide to abandon it at once, as opposed to pretty much every other mount out there. So what if Olympus only refreshes their pro bodies every 3 years - buy whichever the latest Panasonic GHx is in the interrim.

Second, I think companies rarely abandon products simply because they "decide they don't want to compete any more". They simply fail in the market.

So obviously before any investment in any system you have to evaluate if it will be around for as long as you envision using it.

To invest right now in (plain-old non-m43) 4/3 would be fairly stupid, I think. To invest in GXR would likewise not be smart.

However, m43 seems to be the safest mirrorless bet at the moment, because of the widest installed user base and two companies fully supporting it (and more making lenses).

Although this market is developing fast so the situation could be different in a year. Or not.
It's nice to see that nothing has changed at Olympus. According to the rumor sites, they're going to be taking their sweet time and wait 2-3 years to release a high end body.

In the meantime, while they hesitate and act tentatively, I have a feeling the same story will play out as it did years ago. Everybody else is going to eat them alive while Olympus watches and stagnates.

Olympus is already last in marketshare in the CSC/MILC segment even though they were the pioneers. Their management is terrible.
03-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #548

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
It's nice to see that nothing has changed at Olympus. According to the rumor sites, they're going to be taking their sweet time and wait 2-3 years to release a high end body.

In the meantime, while they hesitate and act tentatively, I have a feeling the same story will play out as it did years ago. Everybody else is going to eat them alive while Olympus watches and stagnates.

Olympus is already last in marketshare in the CSC/MILC segment even though they were the pioneers. Their management is terrible.

Olympus may have pioneered the micro 4/3 standard, but they didn't pioneer the release of micro 4/3 cameras and lenses.... Panasonic beat them by nine months with the first model, and three months with their second before Olympus got their act together.

03-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #549
Veteran Member

I'm not too concerned about an Olympus Pro model. So if it takes 2-3 years then so be it. By "pro" I assume they probably mean a m4/3's camera capable of replacing the E-5. Sales of such of camera will be small. In the mean time they can release an enthusiast model to compete against cameras like the Fuji X100 and keep refining their entry level E-PL series. For $550 the E-PL2 is already a fantastic little camera, I'm excited to see what they do with that line over the next few years.

They are supposedly going to release an enthusiast model this year, perhaps it will be E-P3. They've already shown a lens mock up that will go along with it, so we kind of know what to expect in terms of build quality. If it's nothing more than an E-PL2 with better build quality, the sensor from the upcoming Panasonic G3, and built-in EVF that will be enough to keep me content for 2-3 years until a "pro model" comes out...whatever that means.
03-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #550
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dnas Quote
Olympus may have pioneered the micro 4/3 standard, but they didn't pioneer the release of micro 4/3 cameras and lenses.... Panasonic beat them by nine months with the first model, and three months with their second before Olympus got their act together.
In Oly's defense they were concerned about cannibalizing their 43 base and the costs of maintaining 2 systems.Since they are patent holders and there are royalties attached to the 43/m43 system, they win if Panasonic takes the plunge first. Oly went for a retro look with the PEN's which is admirable.
03-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #551
Pentaxian

More flour in the rumours mill:

Pentax looking at launching mirrorless camera | News | PhotoRadar
03-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #552

Hopefully (IMO) this means that it wont have a tiny sensor
03-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #553
Veteran Member

It was interesting to see in Thom Hogan's 2011 predictions this, about the rumoured Nikon mirrorless camera:

"But Nikon seems to be shooting low in the market. Compact camera consumer low. That means very small size, even with some big focal length ranges. But it also means a small sensor and everything that brings to the table. I have to really wonder if Nikon got this one right. The things I do know about it seem like they're swinging at a user who doesn't exist."
05-12-2011, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #554
juu
Veteran Member

Panasonic G3 doing well against APS-C competition at ISO 1600.
05-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #555
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No. ISO800 is not good at all.
See real photos
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/page7.asp