Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #571
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Thanks stanleyk, sounds like you are very similar photographer to me - I'm pretty much a 21/43/70 user but lately have branched out to 50 and 135.

I like the "bagful of primes" method of photography - I generally know which prime to use for the occasion and rarely switch so it's not cumbersome.

Sounds like the 14/20/25/45 lenses with the G3 will be a nice alternative to Pentax.
Absolutely. The longest I ever go with the K5 is 135. I have the 50-135 and an A 135. I also use the DA Limiteds. The Panasonic's are as good as those lenses. I can't wait for the 25mm to be released. If you like wide angle the Panasonic 7-14 is supposed to be very good. It's pricey but definitely worth what they are asking for it. I have the Olympus 9-18 and am very satisfied with it.

The 14 is the equivalent of a 28mm on a 35mm film camera so it's a pretty wide lens. The 45 is a macro and very sharp.

One other thing, contrary to some of what you may read, it is very easy to manual focus with an EVF.

I started with the Pen's which I really like but I have to say the Panasonics are probably the better camera. I am very excited about the G3. I love my K5 but to be honest I use the EP's more.

05-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #572
Veteran Member

Thanks stanleyk, sounds like you are very similar photographer to me - I'm pretty much a 21/43/70 user but lately have branched out to 50 and 135.

I like the "bagful of primes" method of photography - I generally know which prime to use for the occasion and rarely switch so it's not cumbersome.

Sounds like the 14/20/25/45 lenses with the G3 will be a nice alternative to Pentax.
This is a very good forum for info on M4/3. There are a few Pentax users on the forum too.

Mu-43.com - Micro Four Thirds News and Rumors

You can get a lot of good info about the cameras, adapted lenses, lens reviews ect.

Enjoy!
05-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #573
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I'm also a K5 user.

The 20 F1.7 is a really great lens. I also have the Panasonic/Leica 45mm f2.8. I can highly recommend both of those along with the Panasonic 14mm.

I'm not much of a long lens user. My understanding is the Panasonic 100-300mm is quite good but I would never need a lens that long.

The 25mm is due out later this year. That said you really can't go wrong with the 20mm. Here's a good review of the 20mm from a Leica user:
I would not call the 20/1.7 is not a great lens. I'd call is a rather mixed lens which may appear as a great lens lens after all the corrections the camera (or some raw converters) do to it behind the users back. The Photozone's review has a couple of simple examples on this. Basicly for a normal lens it has lots of barrell distortion, quite a bit of CA and vignetting. OOF highlights seem quite hideous as well, even for a fast normal.

On the plus side, it seems to have very nice resolution over the important part of the image and the minimum focusing distance is very nice as well. And being a small lens, it'd be a delight to carry it.
05-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #574
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pompous Moronox Quote
To me what matters is the IQ I get out of the lens. If the raw converter does some magic to remove distortions and succeeds while keeping great resolution, I'm fine with that.

I think digital correction is the future. I'm very happy I have to correct for less things in postprocessing.

05-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
future of sensor development, it is no wonder Pentax is not thinking of a FF.

Technology is going crazy, and in short order, if not now, 4/3 is getting very good higher ISO's.

It is getting to the point where yes, FF would be better, but who cares, how much info do you need or use.

I think Pentax did it right, APS-C, and Medium format.
I wonder about APS-C fanboys: how they can notice the difference between cropped MF and full frame in terms of details and tonal reproduction, but managed to not to see one between FF and APS-C?
05-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #576
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
To me what matters is the IQ I get out of the lens. If the raw converter does some magic to remove distortions and succeeds while keeping great resolution, I'm fine with that..
LOL
You are funny.
This panasonic lens has poor borders, and distortion correction getting things even worse )
05-14-2011, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #577
Site Supporter

It's interesting, but perhaps not surprising, how many Pentaxians also have micro four-thirds kits. What appeals to me is how substantial and capable a kit one can build without spending a lot of money (I'm talking in terms of new equipment here).

I had an Olympus E-PL1 briefly, until I lost it on vacation (my own stupid fault). That was replaced with a Panasonic G1 on closeout for $399. I added a GF1 (body only) later for $299 on closeout. My 14-45 zoom came with the G1. I added the surprisingly good 45-200mm zoom for $299. Both the 20mm f/1.7 and 14mm f/2.5 primes ran in the $300-$350 range. And my most expensive micro four-thirds lens is the 100-300mm zoom - which was still under $500. A new lens with the same reach (600mm equivalent) and quality for my K200D could easily be $1000 these days.

I still love my K200D and still plan to get a K-5 down the road. But for a good amount of real-world use, mirrorless can make a fantastic second kit. I'd consider a G3 but I want to see what Pentax offers first. This is a good time to be into photography.
05-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #578
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think digital correction is the future. I'm very happy I have to correct for less things in postprocessing.
I agree. Once you've accepted that there are electronics between the incipient photons and what gets recorded, why not make the most of those electronics. I wonder if any of us can say for certain that we're not already getting in-camera corrections with our existing DSLR's.

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
This is a good time to be into photography.
Sure is! The new G3 looks very attractive, and Olympus is supposed to have an update out sooner or later.

And Samsung's got two tiny pancake primes available for the NX series, and another on its way in two months. You'll be able to carry an APS-C camera, a 24mm-e lens and a 45mm-e lens without really feeling the weight. And I have to say that on-lens button is an intriguing idea despite the stupid name.

Last edited by uccemebug; 05-14-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: electrons/electronics
05-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #579
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
This panasonic lens has poor borders, and distortion correction getting things even worse )
Photozone says the border resolution is "good to very good at all tested apertures" (direct quote though a bit out of context) - even after the distortion correction.
05-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #580
Veteran Member

Photozone says the border resolution is "good to very good at all tested apertures" (direct quote though a bit out of context) - even after the distortion correction.
Are you going to get the 25mm when it's released? I'm afraid it may be pricey.
05-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #581
Site Supporter

I suspect that the 25mm f/1.4 will be quite pricey... after all, it'll have the Leica name on it. If I had to guess, it would be in the $800-$1000 range. I'd love to be proven wrong. Despite the fact that I didn't pay much for my micro four-thirds lenses, there are a few expensive ones out there, including the 14-140mm f/4-5.8 (optimized for video) and the 7-14mm f/4. I own neither of them... and don't think I would unless I planned on giving up my Pentax kit and going all micro four-thirds.
05-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #582
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I suspect that the 25mm f/1.4 will be quite pricey... after all, it'll have the Leica name on it. If I had to guess, it would be in the $800-$1000 range. I'd love to be proven wrong. Despite the fact that I didn't pay much for my micro four-thirds lenses, there are a few expensive ones out there, including the 14-140mm f/4-5.8 (optimized for video) and the 7-14mm f/4. I own neither of them... and don't think I would unless I planned on giving up my Pentax kit and going all micro four-thirds.
You're probably right. The 7-14 is a really good lens but like you I would have forgo my Pentax gear to justify the cost. I'll have to see on the 25mm. That's exactly what I've been wanting so if I can eat enough Hungry Man's for dinner and peanut butter/jelly for lunch for the next few months maybe I can scrape up enough.....
05-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #583
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
G3 with the 14, 25 and and 45 is pretty much the dream kit for that camera I think - corresponds to 28, 50, 90 FF.
05-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #584
Veteran Member

G3 with the 14, 25 and and 45 is pretty much the dream kit for that camera I think - corresponds to 28, 50, 90 FF.
Exactly. On the M4/3 the speculation is the 25 is going to be plus $800 however it may actually retail for less.
05-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #585
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Are you going to get the 25mm when it's released? I'm afraid it may be pricey.
I'm thinking most likely I won't - unless I can get it for a reasonable price by buying as a kit with GH3 or something.

The 50mm Olympus might be interesting though - together with the 9-18mm it would be a nice 2-lens kit covering most of my needs.