Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #616
Pentaxian

Pentax NC-1 is rumoured to have a MSRP in the $600 range with one lens: 8.5mm f/1.9 (equivalent to 48mm) or 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 (equivalent to 28-84mm).

Source: Pentax NC-1 mirrorless camera kit will be priced around $600 | Photo Rumors

05-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #617
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax NC-1 is rumoured to have a MSRP in the $600 range with one lens: 8.5mm f/1.9 (equivalent to 48mm) or 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 (equivalent to 28-84mm).

Source: Pentax NC-1 mirrorless camera kit will be priced around $600 | Photo Rumors
Personally I'm not very interested in paying $600 for a camera with a tiny 5.6x crop factor sensor that will probably have worse noise performance than the m43 sensor in the Oly/Panny cameras or the APS-C sensor in the Samsung NX.

People are looking for very high IQ in compact bodies, and current 5.6x crop sensors can't compete in terms of IQ. Any size reduction advantage they provide will not be enough to overcome their IQ issues.
05-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #618
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Wait a second:

QuoteQuote:
There will be also a second digital camera with interchangeable lenses from Pentax based on the old Auto 110 film camera.
Was I alone in being under the impression that this little camera *was* the 110-style MILC?
05-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #619
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Wait a second:

Was I alone in being under the impression that this little camera *was* the 110-style MILC?
Nope, far from alone. I'm grasping for a reason for two, count them: two, unique and distinctive (read "oddball") bodies when we have one or two lingering problems on the K-series punch list.

Why all the 110 fuss when we cannot even get a purple K-r in the US? Or a navy K-5?

Let's hope that the oddballs here are the rumors.

05-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #620
Veteran Member

I think when Pentax said they were going to be unique they meant they would produce the first mirror-less body that would be a total failure. If this really has such a small sensor how will it compete with the Canon G series?

There is nothing about this camera that is appealing. M4/3 and NEX are better looking systems.
05-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #621
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thethirdcoast Quote
Personally I'm not very interested in paying $600 for a camera with a tiny 5.6x crop factor sensor that will probably have worse noise performance than the m43 sensor in the Oly/Panny cameras or the APS-C sensor in the Samsung NX.
It wouldn't be only noise performance but the IQ too. If they failed to achieve the FF quality on the lenses designed for APS-C, which only 1.5 times smaller, it's hopeless if they will achieve m43 quality with much smaller sensor.
05-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #622
Veteran Member

Ahh Pentax forum users, the most positive happy bunch.....

Once again all the armchair experts are hard at work, discussing a camera that NO ONE has even seen or has facts on yet.

Everyone here is an expert and have degrees in marketing, physics, electronics all from the university of "Bollocks"

Yep we all know it'll have SHOCKING DR and NOISE, because it's tiny "unknown" sensor is so small.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think when Pentax said they were going to be unique they meant they would produce the first mirror-less body that would be a total failure. .
Yes you know this because you've seen it, handled it and even tried selling the NC-1's on ebay ?

05-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #623
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Ahh Pentax forum users, the most positive happy bunch.....

Once again all the armchair experts are hard at work, discussing a camera that NO ONE has even seen or has facts on yet.

Everyone here is an expert and have degrees in marketing, physics, electronics all from the university of "Bollocks"

<snip>
No, Christopher, that would be the Unseen University - a fine institution from which I earned an Extreme Napping Brown.

Our motto, "Nunc id vides, nunc ne vides", rather reminds me of the NC-1 saga.

And I refuse to be thought feckless owing to entering a discussion, even if devoid of a single fact, that appears in a rumours forum. If we cannot embellish (or create, for that matter) rumours in the rumors forum, then we are left with a very dull world, devoid of imagination and serendipity.

How sad .......
05-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #624
Veteran Member

Yes you know this because you've seen it, handled it and even tried selling the NC-1's on ebay ?
I am basing that opinion off of the photo's and rumored specifications. If the specifications turn out to be significantly different then my opinion will be significantly different. Expectations are just that..... expectations.

There is no reason to believe that this little sensor will out perform M4/3 or NEX..... or even a G11. Right now it looks like a stylish little camera with interchangeable lenses, but not something that can compete with M4/3, NEX, or Samsung NX series.

This is the RUMOR section of the forum. You understand what that means right? SPECULATION...... OPINIONS...... If we had FACTS it would not be in the RUMOR section and we would not be having this discussion.

Everyone here is an expert and have degrees in marketing, physics, electronics all from the university of "Bollocks".
Only people with degrees can express opinions? Are they the only ones who know what they are looking for in a camera?

Yep we all know it'll have SHOCKING DR and NOISE, because it's tiny "unknown" sensor is so small.
Your right.... Pentax has a secret lab where they make their own super high grade sensors that out perform everyone else in the industry. Its not like Pentax has to buy all of the sensor from 3rd party suppliers and use what is available on the market.... IF that was the case it would be pretty easy to get an idea of the IQ to expect.

Hopefully Pentax proves us all wrong and the NC-1 or whatever it is called is a real competitor. Right now with the rumored specifications and pictures it looks like a total flop. Notice the difference in how the Fuji X100 was viewed when its specs were leaked? If people thought Pentax was on the right track they would be excited. Instead people are disappointed.
05-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #625
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As long as the sensor has good result as the m43 id be interested
it would be good to know the size and weight of this thing compared to the m43 and compact like LX5
05-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #626

Photos: Albums
I would very much like to see Pentax make an EVIL camera with interechangable lenses. I have experience with a Lumix 4/3 and a K-x . I would love a combination camera with the best of both. I hope whatever Pentax does, that they stick with the higher image qulaity of the larger sensors and incorporate a tilt swivel LCD. I think a new lens mount system would drive away a large loyal customer base.
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #627
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Bob Quote
I think a new lens mount system would drive away a large loyal customer base.
Doing nothing will do the same.
05-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #628
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty keen on the NC-1 - I want a really small camera with interchangeable lens.

And I'm not worried about image quality - I think it will be good enough for me.

Lens selection is an issue though - just one prime lens isn't enough for me - I would like about 2-3 (standard, wide, telephoto).

I'm trying to decide whether to go for something really small like the NC-1 or settle for something like the Panasonic G3 with the Leica 25 and 45 primes. Main issue with the G3 is that it doesn't seem that much smaller than my K-5 with pancakes.
05-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #629
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I'm pretty keen on the NC-1 - I want a really small camera with interchangeable lens.

And I'm not worried about image quality - I think it will be good enough for me.

Lens selection is an issue though - just one prime lens isn't enough for me - I would like about 2-3 (standard, wide, telephoto).

I'm trying to decide whether to go for something really small like the NC-1 or settle for something like the Panasonic G3 with the Leica 25 and 45 primes. Main issue with the G3 is that it doesn't seem that much smaller than my K-5 with pancakes.
No it's smaller and much lighter. I have a G1 (and the G3 is going to be smaller than that) here are the measurements of the G1

Maximum Height: 3.5 inches
Width: 4.5 inches
Depth with Panasonic 20 attached: just slightly over two inches

The G3 is supposedly smaller.
05-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #630
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
No it's smaller and much lighter.
add PL25/1.4 plus adapter (no native 25 yet) and/or PL45/2.8 is it is not that smaller - those PL lenses are not pancakes.