Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #661
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax Q, expected to be announced in August 2011
Ah, so now it's coming together.
Not a K-mount?
New lens line up.
It's looking like another good niche market for Pentax.

06-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #662
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,113
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Latest rumour:

Pentax Q, expected to be announced in August 2011. Those are the specs:

- 12MP backlit sensor
- HD movie recording (720p)
- RAW capabilities
- Available in two colours: black and white
- Very small and compact in size
- Price around €700
- Several lenses will be announced including a fish-eye lens
12 MP BSI sensors are only for P&S cameras...
€700 - ha-ha...It's more expensive than K-r...

If Pentax launches EVIL with small sensor outside Japan, I think it will fail.
06-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #663
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
12 MP BSI sensors are only for P&S cameras...
700 - ha-ha...It's more expensive than K-r...

If Pentax launches EVIL with small sensor outside Japan, I think it will fail.
it does seem that way. it doesn't seem to make any sense unless Pentax increases the resolution. maybe a 20-24 MP would be worth the 700 pricetag.
06-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #664
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,781
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
12 MP BSI sensors are only for P&S cameras...
(...)
Pentax Q could be the same camera as the so-called NC-1. "Q" would be the commercial name and "NC-1" the project code name. In this case the 1/2,33" sensor would be backlit (but former rumours said 14 Mpixels and not 12).

OR

Pentax Q could have an APS-C sensor, in which case the latter wouldn't be backlit. It would simply derive from the Sony Exmor sensor used in Pentax K-x and K-r, Leica X1, Fuji X100 and many more cameras.

OR

Pentax Q could benefit from a new 12 Mpixel backlit sensor, neither 1/2,33", nor APS-C, but somewhere in-between. In this case, why not the rumoured 2,5 crop factor sensor of the mirrorless camera Nikon is supposed to launch this year?

Just speculating... after all it's Friday

06-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #665
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Just speculating... after all it's Friday
and the stockmarkets are closed now
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #666
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 443
Yes, it is Friday, the stock market are closed and Pentax is still rummored to be coming out with two new cameras later this year.

Anyhow, my guess is that there is some sort of mixing up of specs and rummors between the two cameras. We all know how tight the leaks are with Pentax now days.

Here is my guess:
1. one camera with a 12MP Backlit 1/2.33 sesnor using a new Q mount.
2. One camera with a 1.5 crop APS-C sensor wit some sort of K-mount.

Dave
06-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #667
Veteran Member
uccemebug's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 959
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
1. one camera with a 12MP Backlit 1/2.33 sesnor using a new Q mount.
Where Q == C?
06-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #668
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,415
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Where Q == C?
If Pentax releases a GH-2 style camera that can still use K-mount glass, will people be interested?

06-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #669
Pentaxian
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,621
Be there with bells on if I can use the DA limiteds on a compact APS-C camera. Better still if weathersealed/alloy body Rangefinder type design.
06-03-2011, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #670
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 336
Much as most people on this forum would wish for K-mount compatibility, and leaving aside any technical considerations, my guess is that Pentax have no plans to encourage lenses to be swapped between different segments.
06-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #671
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Be there with bells on if I can use the DA limiteds on a compact APS-C camera
While this is a great idea in principle, I think it would turn off a lot of keen EVIL camera users, as it has a different target audience - the lenses would turn out more expensive than the camera itself.
06-04-2011, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #672
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 53
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Much as most people on this forum would wish for K-mount compatibility, and leaving aside any technical considerations, my guess is that Pentax have no plans to encourage lenses to be swapped between different segments.
Pentax did move from the m42-mount to K-mount and retained compability with an adapter. They could (and should) do the same as mirrorless is the future.

If K-mount were to be used in a mirrorless system:
  • The camera body would be thicker as the flange focal distance of K-mount is a couple of centimeters more than it would be for mirrorless
  • The advantage of smaller (and higher quality) wide- and normal-lenses would be lost
  • The current in-lens motors would be semi-useless for contrast detect autofocus - not sure if the regular lenses could handle a stronger in-camer AF-motor either
  • If mirrorless is to be APS-C only, K-mount would be oversized
On the other hand if K-mount compability were thrown away:
  • Severe lack of lenses on a market with competition being there first
06-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #673
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,161
QuoteOriginally posted by Aku Ankka Quote
On the other hand if K-mount compability were thrown away:
  • Severe lack of lenses on a market with competition being there first
But users would be forced to buy new lenses so money goes Pentax. I doubt though that most people would use that many old lenses.
Standard zooms and a couple small primes would benefit greatly from mirrorless, long teles would be recovered from K mount though.
06-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #674
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by Aku Ankka Quote
Pentax did move from the m42-mount to K-mount and retained compability with an adapter. They could (and should) do the same as mirrorless is the future.

If K-mount were to be used in a mirrorless system:
  • The camera body would be thicker as the flange focal distance of K-mount is a couple of centimeters more than it would be for mirrorless
  • The advantage of smaller (and higher quality) wide- and normal-lenses would be lost
  • The current in-lens motors would be semi-useless for contrast detect autofocus - not sure if the regular lenses could handle a stronger in-camer AF-motor either
  • If mirrorless is to be APS-C only, K-mount would be oversized
On the other hand if K-mount compability were thrown away:
  • Severe lack of lenses on a market with competition being there first
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But users would be forced to buy new lenses so money goes Pentax. I doubt though that most people would use that many old lenses.
Standard zooms and a couple small primes would benefit greatly from mirrorless, long teles would be recovered from K mount though.
IMO keeping the K-mount would be a brilliant move, the size of a system is determined by a body + the lens on it. I feel the Sony NEXT very nice, but clunky with lens on it.

Keeping the K-mount while removing the mirror, would allow the lens to recede in behind the mount. A great advantage for designing wide angles (and the reason why Leica have such mythical wide angles)

24mm non-retrofocus anyone? 50mm collapsible Elmar on a digital FF?

Of course that would mean adding a little knob to prevent mounting those lenses on a classic SLR k-mount design.

The current thickness of D-SLR bodies is due to sensor thickness + stabilization/mounting of it + the viewing screen. There is a great potential of miniaturization for each of them especially the screen where it is driven by the cell-phone industry.

IMO keeping the K-mount would be a very good move in the long term, unless we come up with an absolutely revolutionary way of designing lenses, they will keep being the determining factor in the size of a system.
06-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #675
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,415
Someone needs to build a serious mirror-less camera with high quality fast glass. Sony is rumored to have the NEX-7 and Olympus is rumored to be coming out with a Pro-M/4/3. Fuji seems to have the best idea of the group so far. Fuji can't keep up with demand for the X100.

The EP-3 might be interesting, but Olympus needs to come out with some SHG primes for M4/3.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, camera, cameras, mm, nc-1, offer, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon 120mp APS-H CMOS sensor ! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 16 08-22-2013 10:48 PM
Arguably the worlds best sensor, and it's way smaller than full frame. 500+ MP Clinton Photographic Technique 25 03-04-2011 09:10 PM
New Samsung APS-C sensor with 10.7 fps ogl Pentax News and Rumors 84 06-29-2010 12:52 AM
Would you buy a Pentax P&S with APS-C sensor? NorthPentax Pentax News and Rumors 20 04-01-2009 10:47 AM
My only gripe about aps-c sensor pasipasi Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 03-13-2009 06:17 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top