Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #841
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not a shift for any format is very relevant. the need for perspective correction doesn't go away on different formats

06-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I think you and ogl are using two different meanings of "FF", but otherwise I agree. Why not a shift lens for the tiny-sensor NC-1? (trying desperately to get on-topic again )
I meant LF

I think it gets progressively harder to alter the image circle the smaller the sensor. Focussing, especially as it is all MF, would be very difficult.
06-15-2011, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #843
Veteran Member

No offense, Ogl, but you have a knack for saying things that are so succinctly and cryptically provocative that I suspect you are an experiment from Google Labs...

06-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #844
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I think you and ogl are using two different meanings of "FF", but otherwise I agree. Why not a shift lens for the tiny-sensor NC-1? (trying desperately to get on-topic again )
FF - Full Frame (135 format, 35 mm sensor)
MF - Middle Format
LF - Large Format

1/2.33" sensor and tilt-shift - it could be made for fun with in-camera's tilt-shift filter

06-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #845

Maybe this is all just a cruel joke and they really meant 2/3" sensor.

Does Sony still make a modern 2/3" sensor?
06-16-2011, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #846
Veteran Member

June 23rd?

Last edited by Raffwal; 06-16-2011 at 06:24 AM.
06-16-2011, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Ah, so it's not 2.3, its 23.!

I guess the DSLR part is wrong, still it would be fun if it really were a real DSLR with a smaller mount. Think of a "cropped" camera body, like I described a year ago (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/98001-pentax-join-micr...ml#post1031987).

06-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #848
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Said: digital camera with world's smallest interchangeable lens...
it seems 1/2.33" sensor
06-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #849
Veteran Member

I love Pentax, but what the hell are they thinking?

A small-sensor user does not want the hassle of changing lenses!

Perhaps at 1/1.7" some might consider it, but that's a pretty small slice of pie. Why spend a small fortune on new little lenses when one of the new travel superzooms (looking at you Sony HX9) will do 90% in one small convenient package?

Now, if they'd slap a full frame sensor into a Fuji X100 type package (obviously deeper at the mount to take the Pentax register distance), then they'd REALLY get people's attention!

Let's hope we can say "woohoo" rather than "meh" on June 23rd...
06-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #850
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Perhaps at 1/1.7" some might consider it, but that's a pretty small slice of pie. Why spend a small fortune on new little lenses when one of the new travel superzooms (looking at you Sony HX9) will do 90% in one small convenient package?
superzoom lenses aren't really that good even in those small incarnations, are they?

I guess it all depends on the sensor. The difference between 1/2.33 and 1/1.7 isn't really that big (it's about the same as the difference between 4/3 and APS-C), so tomorrow's 1/2.33 could easily be better than yesterday's 1/1.7. If this sensor at base ISO (64? 100?) would match my K10D at ISO 400 in terms of noise and DR, and if it comes with some really good and interesting lenses, all at not too outrageous prices, I would be interested in such a camera for the "travel very light" days.

If done right, this could be mark the return of Pentax to the "serious compact" market, with an original twist. Suppose it comes bundled with a decent zoom and some additional really good primes - what's not to like about that? And if it comes with a fisheye, it may really attract the youngest generations as something really unusual.
06-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #851
Veteran Member

Going on past Pentax point and shoot performance, it might be a tad hopeful to expect Canon S95 1/1.7 performance from a 1/2.33, but I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

We're just about getting to the point where sensors have improved enough to make the concept viable rather than a joke, but I just don't see the market. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

To my mind, the Sony HX9 is such a camera milestone, with its 24-384mm lens, super-ultra wide capability through on-the-fly high definition stitching, GPS, pretty impressive backlit sensor paired with very high speed low light photo merging etc, that it's comprehensively moved the game on.

The electronics wizardry that Sony are using and constantly improving upon is just going to eat into the importance of great optics.

Last edited by Unsinkable II; 06-17-2011 at 03:06 AM.
06-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If done right, this could be mark the return of Pentax to the "serious compact" market, with an original twist. Suppose it comes bundled with a decent zoom and some additional really good primes - what's not to like about that? And if it comes with a fisheye, it may really attract the youngest generations as something really unusual.
Got me thinking.

Maybe it's the other way around.

Maybe Pentax is looking away from the "serious" to the fun. There are shelves full of "serious" cameras, all spec and more.

If the lenses are more like lo-fi toy lenses, and the body is a fashion accessory, IQ and related sensor size are less of a concern. Fisheye and some odd lenses would be ideal an an optics company like Pentax can make easily.

After all, dedicated camera makers have to compete against the iPhones etc. Pentax went out on a limb with the colour ensembles of the K-x.

I see no way that a too small sensor ILC from Pentax with a new lens mount can compete against an LX5, S95 or related at viable price points for quality.
06-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #853
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Got me thinking.

Maybe Pentax is looking away from the "serious" to the fun. There are shelves full of "serious" cameras, all spec and more.

If the lenses are more like lo-fi toy lenses, and the body is a fashion accessory, IQ and related sensor size are less of a concern. Fisheye and some odd lenses would be ideal an an optics company like Pentax can make easily.

After all, dedicated camera makers have to compete against the iPhones etc. Pentax went out on a limb with the colour ensembles of the K-x.

I see no way that a too small sensor ILC from Pentax with a new lens mount can compete against an LX5, S95 or related at viable price points for quality.
That's a neat potential direction and it certainly aligns with "Be Interesting"...
06-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #854
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Got me thinking.

Could be on the right track. Many of us think that this small interchangeable lens thing is not intended for those demanding photographic excellence but instead consumers who want better (in their mind) photos than P&S, having fun with lenses as accessories rather than precision tools.

For a small, belt-mountable package, it will make sense for a decent-sized group at the edge of the mass market.
06-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #855
wll
Veteran Member

I got to tell ya ...

Even though I'm a huge Pentax fan, I doubt the new 1/2.33 sensor will out do my Canon G12.

Why would I buy and interchangeable lens 1/2.33 camera and have extra lens cost and bla, bla bla.

All I can say is it better be something spectacular and not a gimmick.

A WR APS-C Mirrorless with SR, an articulating screen, 1080P HD Video, great DR, high ISO (above 51,200) is what I'm talking about. No, I don't care about 24 MP, 12MP is more than enough if DR and high ISO are do-able.

I want it to accept K lenses .. don't give a crap about the small size ...... and YES ....Pentax have Tethering !!!!!!!

Make a Pro type mirror-less, not a POS !

wll