Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #991
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Don't be daft. There is no way that Pentax, invested a;ready in the more mainstream and better quality IQ of APS-C, is going to slide dow the slippery slope of joining M43. no one would waste the optical effort of making the FA Ltd's adapted to M43. That would be a shame, wasting all that optical goodness.

The Q aims at the high-end P&S and bridge camera areas which still sells now that compacts are stalled due to phone/camera integration. This is the 110 all over again.

There is almost certain to be an APS-C mirrorless from Pentax in the Fall, or maybe even earlier. Saying it like Pentax went Q instead of M43 is flat out deceptive.
I agree that not going the M43 route is a wise decision for Pentax, but not for the quality reasons that you state. My GH2 was quite unexpectedly the equal of my K20d, so much so that I sold the K20d. With an adapter, the GH2 has taken some nice photos with the DA70 Limited, the DA35 Macro Limited, and even an old M50/F1.7. And while M43 may lag behind APS-C, I have every reason to believe that there will eventually be a GH3 or GH4 that is in terms of IQ the equal of the K-5. If it will take breaking laws of physics to get there, please enlighten me. Seriously.

So if Pentax is satisfied designing lenses like the DA Limiteds for the likes of the K20d, I could also see them being satisfied designing nice glass for M43.

My reasons for thinking that Pentax should stay away from M43 has been informed by some very good discussions here, and is based not on the bodies but rather on the glass. Removing the mirror helps make the cameras much smaller, but are M43 lenses significantly smaller than their APS-C counterparts? I'm not sure they are. So the diminutive GF3 with a long or bright zoom will look just as ungainly as the Sony NEX with a long or bright zoom.

The recently announced Q suggests that Pentax might have been thinking along similar lines. Initial impressions aside, we'll just have to wait and see if they went too small, or just right.

06-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #992
juu
Veteran Member

DPreview preview up.

Pentax Q Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
06-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #993
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
are M43 lenses significantly smaller than their APS-C counterparts?
Some are, some aren't. I think most DSLR APSC counterparts for the Olympus 9-18mm (155g vs. ~450g for most APS-C counterparts), 14-42mm (150g vs. ~220g) and 40-150mm (200g vs. ~300g), Panasonic 14mm (55g vs. ~200g (?)), 20mm (100g vs. ~200g) lenses are heavier and larger; although the collapsible design for the first two contributes to some of the size difference).

As you can see, with some lenses there is 50% to 200% difference in weight between m43 and DSLR APS-C; with others it is a lot smaller.

Now cue the discussion about DoF equivalence .

Last edited by juu; 06-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.
06-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #994
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote

It will sell OK for the first few weeks in Japan while it's a novelty. Then it will die, lingering with a market share somewhere around the GXR.
Dusty sensor will help to kill this system too...

06-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #995
Veteran Member

Magnesium body, huh? Now that I think about it, I paid over $700 for the Ricoh GX100 several years ago, so the Q may be targeting the same kind of sucker....I mean "discerning buyer"...
06-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #996
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DPR says the MSRP is $800? Surely that can't be right. How do they hope to sell a single one at that price?
06-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #997
Veteran Member

The Pentax site is back up but it seems slow. If you are looking for photos and specs, I took screengrabs and posted on my Flickr:

06-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #998
juu
Veteran Member

By the way, Pentax Q body is 200g (with card+battery). Panasonic GF3 is 264g and the E-PM1 may be even less. NEX-C3 is 225g.

We'll see how much lighter the Q lenses are, but the almost non-existent difference is not encouraging.
06-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #999
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
DPR says the MSRP is $800? Surely that can't be right. How do they hope to sell a single one at that price?
Yep. The video posted in the other thread stated the MSRP will be $799.
06-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #1000
juu
Veteran Member

Upon reading the preview, I think that:

a) I like the way the flash gets far from the camera body.

b) I wonder how the built-in ND filters work?

c) The zoom lens seems a bit large and potentially wouldn't make the camera as pocketable as we would hope it would be.

d) I wonder what advantages or disadvantages the lens shutter mechanisms present.
06-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #1001
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

d) I wonder what advantages or disadvantages the lens shutter mechanisms present.
Their mere existence might prove to be a disadvantage. Those lens shutter mechanisms had better be robust, or else those lenses aren't going to last very long (whereas a good lens should theoretically last practically forever)...
06-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #1002
juu
Veteran Member

Does using the lens-shutter effectively prevent or complicate adapting legacy lenses (the 77mm Ltds some have mentioned here)?
06-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #1003
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I agree that not going the M43 route is a wise decision for Pentax, but not for the quality reasons that you state. My GH2 was quite unexpectedly the equal of my K20d, so much so that I sold the K20d. With an adapter, the GH2 has taken some nice photos with the DA70 Limited, the DA35 Macro Limited, and even an old M50/F1.7. And while M43 may lag behind APS-C, I have every reason to believe that there will eventually be a GH3 or GH4 that is in terms of IQ the equal of the K-5. If it will take breaking laws of physics to get there, please enlighten me. Seriously.

So if Pentax is satisfied designing lenses like the DA Limiteds for the likes of the K20d, I could also see them being satisfied designing nice glass for M43.

My reasons for thinking that Pentax should stay away from M43 has been informed by some very good discussions here, and is based not on the bodies but rather on the glass. Removing the mirror helps make the cameras much smaller, but are M43 lenses significantly smaller than their APS-C counterparts? I'm not sure they are. So the diminutive GF3 with a long or bright zoom will look just as ungainly as the Sony NEX with a long or bright zoom.

The recently announced Q suggests that Pentax might have been thinking along similar lines. Initial impressions aside, we'll just have to wait and see if they went too small, or just right.
when you say breaking the laws of physics, it is somehow more like going around it basically. not really trying to disprove gravity but rather simulate levitation that would fight gravity. I don't think that there is a way of improving IQ by virtue of really really compact glass on a camera sensor that small. there would definitely be compromises involved. the only way to go around this compromise is by electronics hardware and software is involved. digital technology will do the necessary corrections and synthetic implementation and manipulation on IQ. we can already see this during pp work. so what they do is perfectly implement it on the camera as an immediate function as well.

I hate to say this but this might be the cause of death to old-school photography, not to mention potentially killing the sales of highend cameras and lenses.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 06-23-2011 at 06:51 AM.
06-23-2011, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #1004
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Don't be daft. There is no way that Pentax, invested a;ready in the more mainstream and better quality IQ of APS-C, is going to slide dow the slippery slope of joining M43. no one would waste the optical effort of making the FA Ltd's adapted to M43. That would be a shame, wasting all that optical goodness.
Wasting optical goodness? I have no idea what that means. You mean like Pentax "wasted" the FA43 adapting it to Leica? You mean like when I "waste" the FA77 using it on MFT with an adapter? The results sure don't seem like much is "wasted" to me!

Had the Limiteds been available for MFT native mount a year ago they would have sold so fast your head would spin. The format still has only one fast AF prime, though finally two more are on the way.

Last edited by rparmar; 06-23-2011 at 04:35 AM.
06-23-2011, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #1005
Veteran Member

The first preview declares it to be "a more satisfying shooting experience than a mobile phone". And at only $800!

This is one case where there simple weren't enough naysayers.