Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aku Ankka Quote
The future of photography is "mirrorless". The mirror is just a moving mechanicall part limiting the size and speed of the camera while making it less reliable and more expensive to make.

Because of this, Pentax should leave K-5 as their last DSLR and concentrate fully into the future.
While I agree that mirrorless is the future and that is the path I'm going to take once a decent system is developed (I've already tried m4/3's and NEX), I disagree that Pentax should cease DSLR production. There will always be people that prefer optical view finders just like there are people that prefer rangefinders. I don't think Pentax should waste tons R&D time or cash working on their DSLR's mind you, but I don't want to see them drop out of the SLR business all together...and just to clarify, the only reason I say they shouldn't spend R&D resources on their DSLR's is because the K-5 is such an incredible camera there is very little left to improve aside from newer and better sensors. If the K-5 can't capture the photo a person is after then they don't know what the're doing.

01-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Summer Morning on Vimeo

Home Cooking...avec le GH2! on Vimeo
Both of those are very nicely done, but once again, I started fast forwarding within 20 seconds and I have no idea how either ended because I didn't finish and don't care. To each his/her own, but I simply have no interest in things like that. They seem like something a film student created for a class project. Like I said, I'm happy film makers have affordable tools, especially documnetary film makers...but the key word there is film. I don't have a desire to watch someones 5 minute video that goes no where no matter how nicely done it is.
01-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I said still only is for old farts.
Perhaps the truth is that "still only" is for people with an attention span longer than that of a gnat. If there's a generational trend involved in that, then so be it. Generalisations of this type, though, are misleading and unfair.

I was shooting standard 8 and super 8 a very long time ago, but switched back to stills after I got bored with it - the HD video in my K-5 has reawakened an interest in video, but I doubt I'll ever shoot as much as I used to. Everyone can make a choice in this, but they shouldn't be dismissed in such a judgmental fashion for making it.
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #94
Veteran Member

While I don't believe pentax will join m4/'s, I would whole heartedly welcome it. For me, it would be another option that opens up since I have an E-30 with various (excellent by the way!) lenses. But above all, there would be three partners, and if they start to work together, it could be one of the most complete systems, with two (three if i count leica) of the best opticians out there...

As for the people who are thinking (m)4/3's= noise, think again, the sensor of the E-5/E-PL2 is already out there with the best APS-c sensors (bar K-5) and sensors are developing in a way that already there is not much between full frame and APS-c, and the gap will only come closer. There will always be a difference probably but not to sustain the price gap that still will exist...

01-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Pentax makes lenses for their own camera, even if the mount can be open (like M42 and the original K) the only exception I've ever heard about is when Pentax release a limited serie of 43mm/1.9 lenses on the M43 Leica mount (based on the FA43 of course)

Pentax is not Zeiss or Sigma, its business is camera systems. While I would understand that Pentax releases some lenses is very special mounts (Leica M, View cameras) releasing them in competing systems would be a suicide for their existing system. As much as somebody may want an FA31 ltd on a Nikon D3X, this won't happen as long as Hoya believes in the future of the K-mount.
While I agree with your reasoning, I think it is perfect evidence as to why the sensor won't be 4/3. However, balanced against that is the desire of Hoya to turn a good profit. Selling 4/3 products is going to make a lot more money and target a much wider market than the current mount specific products, especially since in the 4/3 world, the only pentax lenses that are current which can be used with inexpensive adapters are the FA's.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Neither ot them. It's a Korean company named Optron-Tec Inc. formerly known as Havit Information Co Ltd:

:+: ()? :+:
Thank you. I genuinely didn't know that.
01-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
As for the people who are thinking (m)4/3's= noise, think again,
I am thinking of -FT = large DoF.
This is something I don't like.
01-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I am thinking of -FT = large DoF.
This is something I don't like.
Except if you compensate with brighter lenses.
Probably difficult for some lenses I know.

After all, Oly did exactly that with their 4/3 lenses but they barely reach APS-C like DOF.
01-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
While I agree that mirrorless is the future and that is the path I'm going to take once a decent system is developed (I've already tried m4/3's and NEX), I disagree that Pentax should cease DSLR production. .
When I first heard about DSLRs I was initially surprised, because, as a tech geek I was already envisioning cameras with no moving parts at all. When I finally moved from film slr to DSLR in 2007, I was no longer thinking that the optical through-the-lens viewfinder was obsolete.
And after trying an E-PL1 with the EVF mounted the other day, I don't think I want to be without an optical VF for the next few years (except for a second travel-light camera, of course). That EVF is still completely inferior to my K10d VF, IMHO.

01-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Except if you compensate with brighter lenses.
Probably difficult for some lenses I know.

After all, Oly did exactly that with their 4/3 lenses but they barely reach APS-C like DOF.
Very true. For instance, the Olympus 35-100 f2 is basically an exact equivalent of the DA *50-135. However, it weighs 1600 grams without the tripod mount versus 765 grams for the DA * 50-135. So much for the size benefits of the four thirds system. And the cost of the 35-100 is as much as any of the 70-200 f2.8 lenses out there, probably more than most.
01-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Yep. As a replacement to high end compacts like my lx3 m4/3 or such could be great if reasonably priced (not the case now IMO) and smaller than current mirrorless bodies but for replacing a dslr, no way (either aps or full frame).
01-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Perhaps the truth is that "still only" is for people with an attention span longer than that of a gnat. If there's a generational trend involved in that, then so be it. Generalisations of this type, though, are misleading and unfair.
Actually, to me, stills require much less attention span than do videos. I can spend time looking at photos that interest me and skip quickly through the boring stuff. Hard to skim through a video...

What makes a good video is coherent plot and story, steady video and good sound. Shooting with shallow depth of field is much less important than these things.

Unless someone has done some serious editing on videos, I am much more of Art's point of view and tend to click off pretty quickly.

That said, I am awfully glad that modern dSLRs include video. I grab a lot of little video clips when I am out with my family that I might not get otherwise and it really doesn't disturb me at all to switch modes.
01-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #102
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aku Ankka Quote
The mirror is just a moving mechanicall part limiting the size and speed of the camera while making it less reliable and more expensive to make.
So is the shutter.

The advantage of mirorless is primarily form factor. Secondary is HUD potential. The actual reductions in size is questionably as many DSLR users complain about cameras being "too small". They like a solid, physically present tool. Not everyone wants or needs something pocektable.
01-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
I would remind that film sales is increasing again because the younger generation likes to play with it.
I've noticed this, too. I was astounded to note 20-somethings carrying film cameras around Toronto when I got back after five months in Tokyo (where film cameras are every day). I don't remember anything of the sort when I left in '05.

I just hope that enough Ilford FP4/HP5 is being sold to keep it viable. Forever.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The advantage of mirorless is primarily form factor. Secondary is HUD potential. The actual reductions in size is questionably as many DSLR users complain about cameras being "too small". They like a solid, physically present tool. Not everyone wants or needs something pocektable.
To my mind a mirrorless camera delivers quite a bit of the promise of digital photography. You can select the size of the sensor and build a system around as the physics and your optical ambitions dictate. Then build the feature set to suit the market position you're after. To answer the original question I think it makes perfect sense that Hoya therefore makes a mirrorless camera around a smaller platform and build up from scratch.

I don't profess to understand the business model of the current u4/3 players, but I can't imagine the u4/3 concept really suits the needs of Hoya or the current u4/3 partners. Two smallish partners and a growing giant?

Whatever happens, I'm interested in a digital version of my Olympus 35DC and right now that looks like the Fuji X100. But I'm keen to see which way Hoya takes this new product line.
01-31-2011, 01:18 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Very true. For instance, the Olympus 35-100 f2 is basically an exact equivalent of the DA *50-135. However, it weighs 1600 grams without the tripod mount versus 765 grams for the DA * 50-135. So much for the size benefits of the four thirds system. And the cost of the 35-100 is as much as any of the 70-200 f2.8 lenses out there, probably more than most.
Yep, that's the things with optics : no matter what sensor format you use, to have the same Dof at equivalent focal, the lenses have to be of nearly similar size (with often the smallest sensor needing a bigger lens)... So, nullifying the size argument going for the smaller sensors...
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #105
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
So is the shutter.

Mechanical shutter is hopefully history in ten years or so.
  • Mirrorless is cheaper to manufacture than mirrorfull
  • Mirrorless can also be made large
  • The wide angles benefit from shorter flange focal distance in principle - in practise they might not though (due to the sensor).
I use manual focusing only, so an EVF would provide a zoom possibility which would benefit me lots.