Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q EVIL system has smaller sensor than APS-C - your opinion?

There is the rumor than NC-1 has smaller sensor than APS-C...
Pentax NC-1 Becomes The First Mirrorless Cameras Preview

If the rumors we heard the last months are correct the NC-1 will be a camera featuring a smaller than APS-C sensor.

As for me, it's big mistake, if it's correct.

Who will buy Pentax micro 4/3 cameras?
I have no any interest for such camera AT ALL.

Olympus and Panasonic offer cameras for ANY taste. How to compete?
Pentax MUST offer MUCH better camera than current ALL micro 4/3 cameras.
It MUST be the best camera.

Crop 2 instead of 1.5? Or 1.7?
Via adapter my FA43 will be 86 mm. 77 mm is 144. FA24 is 48...NO. Thank you.

What do you think?
Smaller than APS-C sensor - is the problem for you or not?

Last edited by ogl; 06-23-2011 at 09:45 AM.
01-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking at the original article, there is nothing to back this rumor. So to this is total bullshit until I'm proven incorrect.

Anyway, 4/3 or APSC, I would have little interest in such a camera (I'm not saying there is no market for such a camera)
01-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

they are introducing 2 apparently not just one, it's quite possible they will also have 2 different sensors, before i freaked out about it i think i would wait and see what the announcements are, after all at this point everything is rumour, there aren't even any published patents to base the rumours on that i have seen. (even if it is true they are making a m4/3 there is room for alternative designs that offer things pana and oly don't most definitely. wait and see before you get too worked up, nothing you can say would change anything at this point in any case.
I would imagine though if they do a m4/3 they will also introduce a limited series grad set of lenses for the wide end at a minimum
01-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The only reason to go smaller than APS-C would be to join in the micro 4/3rds consortium. While that would be cool (for consumers), I don't see Pentax doing it.

01-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I see no problem.

I hope for a crop factor 3 camera to take on the advanced compact (and also m4/3). The small, new mount needs only a few lens options to be a killer if made really compact and rough.

In addition I hope Pentax launches a FF compatible mirrorless for the future. Maybe equipped with aps-c sensor in the beginning.

Wasn't the latest rumor a two mount mirrorless future?
01-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If it's a smaller sensor (than APSC) in a much smaller body, I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as the IQ is good enough for most users.
01-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Banned

Well going alone is another problem. Just another mico-K-mount has no future either. So to me there are a few options that really could work.
  1. Join Panansonic/Olympus with the micro 4/3th using the same mount, just with a Sony sensor of high quality.
  2. Create a unique small evil camera as small as Pentax Auto 110 was in past with real small lenses and a small sensor.
  3. Make an entree level EVIL that in future wil make entry level DSLR like K-x obsolete. New micro-K-mount that with an adapter will take all current lenses but also new lenses. Give it APS-c sensor like K-x/K-r.
  4. Make a high-end EVIL wit a FullFrame sensor with the current K-mount so all lenses will fitt. No nonsens about thinner camera, since it is to use with big lenses. (maybe even Trans-Lucent).
  5. Leave this new market between P&S and DSLR to others and make no money out of it.

To me number 1 and 4 make the most sence.

Number 5, doing nothing in a time that entry leven DSLR will be going out of the market due to all the EVIL's is not smart, and in this same time P&S is losing ground to iPhone and all others smartphone's. In P&S the only real future is bridge camera and rough camera's like W90.

01-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Looking at the original article, there is nothing to back this rumor. So to this is total bullshit until I'm proven incorrect.

Anyway, 4/3 or APSC, I would have little interest in such a camera (I'm not saying there is no market for such a camera)
Roland Mabo insists on it too.
Pentax mirrorless camera NC-1 coming soon [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I hope that this rumor is not correct
01-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
If it's a smaller sensor (than APSC) in a much smaller body, I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as the IQ is good enough for most users.
IQ of m4/3 is far away from K-5, for example. And from K-r/K-x too.
01-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well going alone is another problem. Just another mico-K-mount has no future either. So to me there are a few options that really could work.
  1. Join Panansonic/Olympus with the micro 4/3th using the same mount, just with a Sony sensor of high quality.
  2. Create a unique small evil camera as small as Pentax Auto 110 was in past with real small lenses and a small sensor.
  3. Make an entree level EVIL that in future wil make entry level DSLR like K-x obsolete. New micro-K-mount that with an adapter will take all current lenses but also new lenses. Give it APS-c sensor like K-x/K-r.
  4. Make a high-end EVIL wit a FullFrame sensor with the current K-mount so all lenses will fitt. No nonsens about thinner camera, since it is to use with big lenses. (maybe even Trans-Lucent).
  5. Leave this new market between P&S and DSLR to others and make no money out of it.

Number 5, doing nothing in a time that entry leven DSLR will be going out of the market due to all the EVIL's is not smart, and in this same time P&S is losing ground to iPhone and all others smartphone's. In P&S the only real future is bridge camera and rough camera's like W90.
I think you've nailed the options well Ron and I would only disagree on the FF as they are more apsc committed, I think when and if a FF comes it will first be in the top line SLR then an evil. perhaps a k-mount evil with an eye to a ff upgrade
ps is going to pretty much disappear in the next 3-4 years aside from rugged and superzoom i think, there are some pretty sophisticated camera phones on the horizon from lg sony and panasonic with i'm sure more in development (really there is no reason you couldn't make a rugged phone camera either other than the phone would last too long screwing up the replacement schedules)
01-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think you've nailed the options well Ron and I would only disagree on the FF as they are more apsc committed, I think when and if a FF comes it will first be in the top line SLR then an evil. perhaps a k-mount evil with an eye to a ff upgrade
ps is going to pretty much disappear in the next 3-4 years aside from rugged and superzoom i think, there are some pretty sophisticated camera phones on the horizon from lg sony and panasonic with i'm sure more in development (really there is no reason you couldn't make a rugged phone camera either other than the phone would last too long screwing up the replacement schedules)
I agree with this too.

I think if Pentax does release a 4/3 camera or EVIL or whatever they're called, it'll be about as successful as the Auto 110s. They'll have a nice, short run and cater to those who want something like this, but I still can't see the point.
01-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

I would add an option:
Makes a compact camera based on a "big" sensor a la Sigma DP1 or Leica X1. Pentax could make it different by making waterproof (say to 10 or 20m) and shockproof. A clever design (prime with internal focusing, buttons...) can make it fill hole between the low-quality compacts and the impractical housings for SLRs.
Surely a niche, but given that housing alone costs a lot for an SLR, my bet is that it would be a hit for outdoor sport practionner (Canyoning and other sports in the same familly) and diving.

Plus if it has some decent video (same class as K5 / D7000 / 7D) it would be a hit for documentary film makers.

But that's pure speculation, not even rumors.
01-24-2011, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Well, there are some other options left. Why introduce a new mount at all? I would suggest for the near future:

1=2 Realize a pocket-sized Pentax "110" and "Limited" lenses for the m43 mount.

3b Make an entree level EVIL (price about 150$ below K-r, articulated screen, reasonably small body).
Thus, update and realize the "Pentax Digital K concept": Pentax digital camera concepts
Et voilą:
Attached Images

01-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Well, there are some other options left. Why introduce a new mount at all? I would suggest for the near future:

1=2 Realize a pocket-sized Pentax "110" and "Limited" lenses for the m43 mount.

3b Make an entree level EVIL (price about 150$ below K-r, articulated screen, reasonably small body).
Thus, update and realize the "Pentax Digital K concept": Pentax digital camera concepts
Et voilą:

good point a number of these concepts could apply and all would differentiate pentax from the herd