I'm not sure if that helps much.

02-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No viewfinder? Minus!
02-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #138
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well that looks like a real small camera, since the grip is not more then a small edge.

Small camera = small sensor ??
02-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
No viewfinder? Minus!
How can you say that? The viewfinder of an evil is just on the back, there's no window on the front.

02-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Here it says that it's not the real one, and that they have info that even the name is wrong:

Voci di corridoio: Prima immagine della Pentax NC-1?
02-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #141
Veteran Member

On the C-mount camera theme:

I think the idea goes too far. I don't have a problem with a 3x crop factor. An f/1.4 lens would still have the DoF of an equivalent f/2.8 APS-C lens which in many cases is good enough. And the camera would be portable (which mFTs aren't) and ISO only one step less than FT.

However, the C mount was made for movies and almost all lenses aren't meant to resolve beyond 3 MPixels. Stopped down enough they probably do, but that doesn't necessarily make C mount lenses a desirable thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Yes, there are very good lenses among the 16mm lenses: Carl Zeiss, Kern Paillard, Angenieux, Schneider Kreuznach and more. Quite expensive (second hand) though.

More there: US List of 286 c mount lens,
That's an interesting list. But nevertheless, I doubt many of them qualify for still images.

Another very interesting list of C mount lenses is this:
-> PENTAX CCTV Zoom Lenses or
-> All PENTAX CCTV Lenses

with an f/1.0 lens:

or the following 110x zoom Pentax C mount lens:

The lenses span varying image circles, up to 2/3" (about 3x crop factor); sometimes more (1"; 2x crop or FT).

With their impressive list of C and CS mount lenses, a C mount mirrorless may indeed be an interesting option for Pentax if:
1. they offer a bunch of optically very good and newly developped still image lenses with it.
2. operation as a video camera is very good (AF, tilt&swivel monitor, EVF, manual overrides etc.).

Pentax has many more C/CS mount lenses than they have K mount lenses and their most expensive lenses are C mount and exceed 10,000 $!

Maybe, let me finish this section with a citation from somebody who mounted a Pentax C mount lens on a mFT camera:
QuoteQuote:
I use this lens on my M4/3 camera body with an adapter, so my review is directed toward that application. The Pentax lens works better than expected. True enough, there is some vignetting in the corners, though fairly minor when shooting in 3:2 aspect ratio (which is what I mostly shoot at with this lens mounted). The vignetting is functionally a non-issue if shooting wide-screen HD video, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't there.

The lens is great as a low light normal with varied uses. Wide open, it can be used as an effects lens to evoke a "toy camera" kind of look. Stopping down to f/2, it sharpens up noticeably, but still gives your photos and interesting feel. Stopped down to 4 or 5.6 and it's fairly sharp through most of the frame, though you'll still notice some peripheral defocus, especially toward the corners. At these middle f/stops, it's capable of resolving detail to a surprisingly satisfactory degree. Of course, it doesn't resolve quite as much at the pixel level as an actual made for M4/3 lens or an adapted M-mount lens, but it's good for everyday shooting, general street photography, or low-light endeavors.

For my money, where the lens is especially good is in shooting HD video, this if you're looking for a manageable manual focus lens to pull or throw focus. This is at least half of what I was hoping for when I purchased this lens.

Watch out for the tiny screws. They're easy to lose. I'd recommend taking them out. For special use, you can keep on hand one of the larger thumb screws (these come with the lens) for shooting video and desiring to pull or throw focus.

Read more: Pentax C22525KP 1" C Mount 25mm F1.4 Manual Iris Lens Reviews | Buzzillions.com
On another topic:

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Here it says that it's not the real one, and that they have info that even the name is wrong:

Voci di corridoio: Prima immagine della Pentax NC-1?
Thanks for the link. I expressed my doubts about the naming as well. Pentax NC is the name of an existing Pentax bag series.

However, the name (NC mount) would actually make sense if it stood for "New C mount" which could mean C mount backward compatible to support existing C mount lenses but with electronic contacts added for future applications. That would make Pentax jump ahead of the rest of the pack somehow

The C/CS mount has 1 inch diameter and 17.526mm (cine) or 12.526mm (cine short) flange distance and is specified to illuminate an up to 1" image circle. So, it is specified like the 35mm K mount shrunk 1.7x and flange distance then halfed. I.e., mount diameter and image circle match. That makes the CS mount much more attractive for mirrorless than Micro FT which still suffers from a huge mount compared to the tiny sensor diameter. The mFT mount really should fuel a 35mm FF sensor ... A C lens just needs a 5mm distance ring when mounted onto a CS mount.

Last edited by falconeye; 02-03-2011 at 06:56 AM.
02-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
On the C-mount camera theme:

I think the idea goes too far. I don't have a problem with a 3x crop factor. An f/1.4 lens would still have the DoF of an equivalent f/2.8 APS-C lens which in many cases is good enough. And the camera would be portable (which mFTs aren't) and ISO only one step less than FT.

However, the C mount was made for movies and almost all lenses aren't meant to resolve beyond 3 MPixels. Stopped down enough they probably do, but that doesn't necessarily make C mount lenses a desirable thing.

That's an interesting list. But nevertheless, I doubt many of them qualify for still images.

Another very interesting list of C mount lenses is this:
-> PENTAX CCTV Zoom Lenses or
-> All PENTAX CCTV Lenses

with an f/1.0 lens:

or the following 110x zoom Pentax C mount lens:

The lenses span varying image circles, up to 2/3" (about 3x crop factor); sometimes more (1").

With their impressive list of C and CS mount lenses, a C mount mirrorless may indeed be an interesting option for Pentax if:
1. they offer a bunch of optically very good and newly developped still image lenses with it.
2. operation as a video camera is very good (AF, tilt&swivel monitor, EVF, manual overrides etc.).

Pentax has many more C/CS mount lenses than they have K mount lenses and their most expensive lenses are C mount and exceed 10,000 $!

On another topic:

Thanks for the link. I expressed my doubts about the naming as well. Pentax NC is the name of an existing Pentax bag series.
Well, I too think that a 2/3" sensor would be a great idea, but with the caveat that Pentax shall release some high resolution lenses with it.

16mm film was the bread and butter of any "low" budget production before movie making moved to the digital capture. An APSC sensor is roughly the size of 35mm picture in movie mode. So the C-mount and 2/3" sensor would remain on the "sweet spot" in terms of DOF capabilities.

Such sensor would resonnably go up to 10Mpx which is plenty enough for what a snapshot user need (I know this is not what consumer may want, but 10 year of digital compact camera have taught a few things to the consumers) Video would be much easier to implement without "Jello" effect or aliasing. Ultimatly, if Pentax decides to go on the higher end for this mount, they could release some interesting "semi-pro" video cam and other sweet truly compact cam.

One may remember that if for the same FOV, you get the same DOF at 1.4 compared to 2.8 on APSC, then it mean that you can use your lens 2 stop faster while retaining the same DOF and thus save 2 stops of isos.

02-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
However, the name (NC mount) would actually make sense if it stood for "New C mount" which could mean C mount backward compatible to support existing C mount lenses but with electronic contacts added for future applications. That would make Pentax jump ahead of the rest of the pack somehow
Heh! And I was speculating if it was short for Network Camera, i.e. that it comes with built-in wifi and Facebook and Flickr support
02-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #144
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Well, I too think that a 2/3" sensor would be a great idea, but with the caveat that Pentax shall release some high resolution lenses with it.
my first camera had a 2/3" sensor ... it was a Canon powershot pro 1 and I LOVED IT!!!

Canon PowerShot Pro1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

i waited a looong time for Canon to make the number 2. but it never came ... so I went with a k20d
02-03-2011, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
According to our sources Pentax wanted to create a sort of digital version of the popular and very tiny Pentax Auto 110. That’s why the new system will use a 5.6x crop sensor!
mirrorlessrumors.com/pentax-mirrorless-system-with-ultratiny-sensor-5x

What a complete and total waste of R&D resources by Pentax. An interchangeable lens camera with a sensor that small is utterly pointless. Just buy a freaking P&S if you want a small sensor camera that fits in your pocket. Ugggghhh!
02-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #146
Veteran Member

you aren't who they are targeting (neither am I) if this is true. they are looking at ways to differentiate the point shoot market which will pretty much disappear to camera phones. at the right price with a couple of good lenses this will sell just not to many of us
They are due to release 2 evils this year I thought so perhaps the fall one is the enthusiast camera
meantime if this is designed like the 110 i can see it having better image quality. 110 film was a bugger to print at all with any quality. 14mp even at this size should outperform the old 110 (and if the lens is quick enough there will be some DOF just not SLR DOF, big deal that's what the SLR is for
02-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #147
Banned

But then again if it is true, the just a little bigger sensor 1/1.7 or 1/1.63 that future in advanced P&S would be a better idea. Probably no RAW images possible.
02-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
you aren't who they are targeting (neither am I) if this is true.
But why would any sane person want to fiddle with change tiny lenses that can most likely easily be lost when they can just buy a pocket size superzoom that will produce the same image quality and never have to change a lens? This camera will be a novelty and nothing more.
02-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
But why would any sane person want to fiddle with change tiny lenses that can most likely easily be lost when they can just buy a pocket size superzoom that will produce the same image quality and never have to change a lens? This camera will be a novelty and nothing more.
First we don't know about what Pentax really want to make. Secondly, some will want superfast lenses, some will want high quality pancakes, some will want zooms.
  • You can get some low DOF with reasonnably fast lenses while retaining some compactness
  • Video would be easier to implement (an important aspect)
  • Contrast focusing would be made easier
  • Smaller sensor means cheaper camera and lenses (most of the time)

The whole point of mirorless interchangeable lens cameras is compactness. At the moment, they are not that smaller.
02-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
This camera will be a novelty and nothing more.
For the most part so were the 110 SLRs. never meant as serious cameras just options to the various point shoots
of the time.
It is different. I reserve judgment until there are actual picture samples available. it may well be sufficient for many purposes. If it costs to much though it makes no sense ($300 with a base level lens makes sense, no more than 350) and a good percentage of the m4/3 sales right now are to people who will never even learn what DOF is never mind be able to achieve it - or care (the people who ask why the backgrounds on their pictures are so out of focus for instance)
If it has decent quality, and the addition of say an f1.0 lens for low light shooting it will do ok. so will the Keno, but I think Pentax would take 75% of the sales as they have more name recognition.