Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #556
juu
Veteran Member

I'm looking at JPEG samples at ISO800 (RAW is not on yet) and don't see much difference with average APSC cameras. If anything, there is more detail preserved in G3 shots.

05-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #557
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
I'm looking at JPEG samples at ISO800 (RAW is not on yet) and don't see much difference with average APSC cameras. If anything, there is more detail preserved in G3 shots.
Looks very usable to me. Actually, it looks like a very well designed camera. Great dimensions, useful feature set.... Can't wait to handle one.

These CSC's are really starting to hit their stride.
05-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #558
wll
Veteran Member

After seeing these and the ...

future of sensor development, it is no wonder Pentax is not thinking of a FF.

Technology is going crazy, and in short order, if not now, 4/3 is getting very good higher ISO's.

It is getting to the point where yes, FF would be better, but who cares, how much info do you need or use.

I think Pentax did it right, APS-C, and Medium format.

We will see how the MILC cameras go, I think they may just do great if they have an articulating screen, very good video and are WR. I hope Pentax doesn't try to make it small for small sake, I hope they make a solid performing camera in the K-x, ist*DS size with out the prism height.

Sounds like a winner to me !

wll
05-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
It is getting to the point where yes, FF would be better, but who cares, how much info do you need or use.
I think you're missing the point of FF. I'd take a 12MP FF over a 20MP APS-C, I think many FF supporters would. It's about the angle of view. Years from now when you can't find a glass VF for love or money, folks will long for the view angle they used to get with their old APS-C the way film-era shooters long for FF now.

05-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #560
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I think you're missing the point of FF. I'd take a 12MP FF over a 20MP APS-C, I think many FF supporters would. It's about the angle of view. Years from now when you can't find a glass VF for love or money, folks will long for the view angle they used to get with their old APS-C the way film-era shooters long for FF now.
You're right. 12mp would make a great FF and I'd take that over any APS-C camera, but not just for the view. Don't forget about resolution and DOF.

EDIT: And bigger optical VF!!!
05-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Looks very usable to me. Actually, it looks like a very well designed camera. Great dimensions, useful feature set.... Can't wait to handle one.

This camera is going to sell incredibly well. The hard thing here in the US is actually getting one. The GH2 is really hard to come by. I would anticipate the same with this model. I know I would consider buying one.

I am also interested to see what Olympus comes out with with their new Pen camera which is supposed to be announced this summer along with 2-3 new lenses. Panasonic is supposed to introduce a 25mm f1.4 this summer also.
05-12-2011, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #562
Veteran Member

Here's a good read on the G3 from some Panasonic executives:

Panasonic G3 Question and Answer | PhotographyBLOG

The market share stats are quite interesting. Also the 25mm is joint Leica project like the 45mm. I thought this was interesting;

Question: As free angle screens are also being embraced by DSLR manufacturers, are we going to see them on future Panasonic GF series CSCs as well?

JM: “Do you think that would be really appealing? In that case we'll feed it back. What we've essentially got here with the G3 is a GF sized body with a viewfinder built in, which I think is very attractive. That's for the European market. In Japan the message is ‘please go as small as possible.'”

05-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #563
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Here's a good read on the G3 from some Panasonic executives:

Panasonic G3 Question and Answer | PhotographyBLOG

The market share stats are quite interesting.
Nice find. You're right about the stats. These quotes say a lot:

QuoteQuote:
That means the SLR market will contract, something like a 30% reduction.
QuoteQuote:
In Japan I think the crossing point will be 2012. Already 40% of the market is CSC, which is pretty huge.
QuoteQuote:
So it's good that there are now three tiers to the sales figures.
And none of those tiers is a 2.33 crop of 5.6 crop "TSMILC".

It shall be interesting to see what if anything Hoya (and Nikon and Olympus) do with the remainder of the year....
05-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #564
Veteran Member

Nice find. You're right about the stats. These quotes say a lot:

And none of those tiers is a 2.33 crop of 5.6 crop "TSMILC".

It shall be interesting to see what if anything Hoya (and Nikon and Olympus) do with the remainder of the year....

It's shipping for $599 in the US in June. Check out this review:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Review - Conclusion | PhotographyBLOG

They are not going to be able to keep these in stock here in the US. When one looks at this camera and the X100 it's hard to see how Pentax can afford to avoid this market segment which is growing.
05-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #565
Veteran Member

Olympus will probably come out with a new body that may or may not have an inegrated EVF. They are definitely releasing more lenses (I've heard a 50mm Macro and a 12 f2.0). That said as an Olympus user they are really slow getting their products into the stores. If they say June it's probably December......
05-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #566
Veteran Member

So when is this new camera coming out? I'm kinda interested ...

I'm looking at the specs of the G3 and it looks pretty good, but not sure I want to invest in Micro 4/3 lenses?

G3 and Leica lenses may be a good combination though.
05-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #567
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
So when is this new camera coming out? I'm kinda interested ...

I'm looking at the specs of the G3 and it looks pretty good, but not sure I want to invest in Micro 4/3 lenses?

G3 and Leica lenses may be a good combination though.
Adorama is accepting pre-orders now for delivery in early June. You can get the body only for 599 or with kit lens for 699. The kit lens is a 14-42 and isn't very good. If you want a zoom go for the 14-45 which is very good. The 20mm and 14mm are really good lenses and they are releasing a 25mm f1.4 lens developed in conjunction with Leica later this year.

I have been using an EP2 and EPL2 for a while. The Olympus bodies have in body stabilization which is very good. Panasonic has it on the lenses which makes their lenses more expensive but it's probably a bit more effective. I'm not a tech person so that's just a totally off the wall guess.

I pre-ordered a G3. The early review (there are a number of them and you can find the links to them here: New Panasonic G3 Micro Four Thirds camera (hands-on, Q&A, ISO samples) - 1001 Noisy Cameras )
are extremely positive.

On the plus side you can use your Pentax lenses with a really inexpensive adapter. Novoflex out of Germany also makes an adapter (not cheap about $225) for lenses without the aperture ring. You can basically adapt almost anything from a C mount to a K mount and all points in between to M 4/3. That said, the best lenses are the ones made for the mount. On the other hand the adapters are really cheap. A lot of people use Konica lenses because you can pick them up at low prices and the adapter will run you about $40.
05-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #568
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info on the 25mm lens - that will be a perfect combo for the G3.

I'm also interested in the NC-1 (or whatever it's called) - probably wait for Pentax to announce it - and decide whether I'll remain with Pentax or jump to Panasonic (not leaving Pentax altogether - I'll still have my K-5 and lenses - this is for the second system).

I have been playing with the Leica M9 and some Leica lenses but have decided Leica is not for me.
05-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Thanks for the info on the 25mm lens - that will be a perfect combo for the G3.

I'm also interested in the NC-1 (or whatever it's called) - probably wait for Pentax to announce it - and decide whether I'll remain with Pentax or jump to Panasonic (not leaving Pentax altogether - I'll still have my K-5 and lenses - this is for the second system).

I have been playing with the Leica M9 and some Leica lenses but have decided Leica is not for me.
I'm also a K5 user.

The 20 F1.7 is a really great lens. I also have the Panasonic/Leica 45mm f2.8. I can highly recommend both of those along with the Panasonic 14mm.

I'm not much of a long lens user. My understanding is the Panasonic 100-300mm is quite good but I would never need a lens that long.

The 25mm is due out later this year. That said you really can't go wrong with the 20mm. Here's a good review of the 20mm from a Leica user:

The Pansonic Lumix G 20 1.7 Lens Review | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

I shoot the 31-43-77 on my K5 and have no problems highly recommending the Panasonic 20mm. I used to have an M3 but a Leica digital M9 is way out of my price range as a Park Ranger. Sadly I sold it because it was just collecting dust in my closet. The plus on Leica is they maintain their value very well. I got it second hand from a friend whose wife was making him sell it if he wanted a new camera. I think I got back what I paid for it which was definitely a first.

I think you might enjoy the review site listed above. It's about really using the lens as opposed to wall charts. Careful though, he'll have you buying a M4/3 and an X100 before you know it.
05-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #570
Veteran Member

Thanks stanleyk, sounds like you are very similar photographer to me - I'm pretty much a 21/43/70 user but lately have branched out to 50 and 135.

I like the "bagful of primes" method of photography - I generally know which prime to use for the occasion and rarely switch so it's not cumbersome.

Sounds like the 14/20/25/45 lenses with the G3 will be a nice alternative to Pentax.