Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #646
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
And the Samsung EX1 / TL500 its taken me by surprise too: so I bought one after the itch became too great for another camera. Exceptional build quality, great lens, feels like a miniaturised version of the original version of the Pentax KM (a K1000 with a depth of field preview and self timer I think the differences were.) Sees in the dark with its 1.8 lens. If only Pentax could bring something like this out, even with a quality fixed lens. I am finding it quite relaxing not to have to worry about lenses.

Zenfolio | Stefan Carey | EXPERIMENTAL PHOTOS SAMSUNG EX1 TL500
Nice set. I recommended the Ex1 to a few people, but here in The Netherlands Samsung isn't taken as serious with camera's, but that is a nice lens on that camera. Making more sense to me then using a smaller sensor.

We have to wait and see.

05-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax NC-1 is rumoured to have a MSRP in the $600 range with one lens: 8.5mm f/1.9 (equivalent to 48mm) or 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 (equivalent to 28-84mm).

Source: Pentax NC-1 mirrorless camera kit will be priced around $600 | Photo Rumors
I really hope this is wrong. Who would bother to spend $600 on a EVIL with a 48mm f/11 equivalent lens? Ridiculous! I can't believe Pentax would be so daft.
05-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #648
Veteran Member

The big question is they dont make a camera for Pentax forums members but for a specific market segments. And that market is something else . THeir goal I am pretty sure is to move peoples who buy compact not peoples who have a DSLR. The first market is huge versus the second one.
05-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #649
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I really hope this is wrong. Who would bother to spend $600 on a EVIL with a 48mm f/11 equivalent lens? Ridiculous! I can't believe Pentax would be so daft.
I agree. It seems like an instant flop.

Hopefully we will see a WR X100 styled Pentax mirror-less with a K-5 sensor and a couple of good pancakes.

05-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #650
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I agree. It seems like an instant flop.

Hopefully we will see a WR X100 styled Pentax mirror-less with a K-5 sensor and a couple of good pancakes.
Ha, well that would sell by the ship load, I'd be the first in the queue.
05-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #651
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aku Ankka Quote
  1. The camera would have to be relatively thick due to the flange focal distance of the K-mount - the mirrorless mounts are two times closer to the sensor
  2. The above would cause the wide angles and normals to remain large and inefficient inverse-tele designs (yes,we have pancakes, but they're quite slow and they would be optically better with a shorter FFD - the normals of today are ridicilously big)
  3. Does the K-mount provide connections to provide enough power to much stronger AF-motor than what the current lenses have (this is needed for contrast detect AF to work fast as the focus has to be moved fast back and forward for each focusing intead of just one direction as with phase detect AF)
Then again, you're right in that one could make it small - and they wouldn't even have to remove the mirror

Essentially the film cameras are empty boxes, so they can be made small. With DSLRs you need big battery (especially if EVF) and plenty of room for electronics. Then there is also need for usability and user interface - many more buttons and stuff needed than with film cameras. How to create a usable prosumer camera with a tiny body?
I've posted these before, but since this has come up again...

Sony and Samsung have shown that you can fit an APS-C sensor into a small package. I for one hopes that Pentax follows suit...
05-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #652
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sony has a small package with a crappy ergonomy.
No way for me.

06-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sony has a small package with a crappy ergonomy.
No way for me.
Can of beer with a pack of smokes.
06-01-2011, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #654
Banned

I haven't read through all 44 pages of this thread but have read it off and on.

I think that if you look at it as a typical consumer that goes to Sams Club and gets a Rebel off of the stack on the pallette (They were displayed like this last time I was there) this might be a good idea. They can have a DSLR type camera that is small enough for mom to use and has the changeable lens gadget that dad needs to look cool. All with a system with a small sensor so people in the forums don't have to explain why nothing is in focus except what we wanted to focus on. How many times do we read in the forum,"I've got a new SLR but the results don't look as good as my P&S"?

It might not be a good camera to us but it may be perfect for the typical P&S consumer looking for something cool. And if it gets someone to try Pentax then all the better.

I want a K-Mount X100..
06-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #655
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I want a K-Mount X100..
Clarification, I want an Un-crippled K mount X100
06-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #656
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I've posted these before, but since this has come up again...

Sony and Samsung have shown that you can fit an APS-C sensor into a small package. I for one hopes that Pentax follows suit...
Add to that ... GH1 +14-45mm vs Super A + 40mm

At least Panasonoic are making a camera that is finally as small as they used to be! why everyone needs a DSLR the size of a house I do not know!

(Yes I am aware that a 28-90mm lens on the Pentax would swing things very much Panasonic's way, that's why I use m4/3!)
06-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #657
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alan Clogwyn Quote
Add to that ... GH1 +14-45mm vs Super A + 40mm

At least Panasonoic are making a camera that is finally as small as they used to be! why everyone needs a DSLR the size of a house I do not know!

(Yes I am aware that a 28-90mm lens on the Pentax would swing things very much Panasonic's way, that's why I use m4/3!)
I see that and I raise you the Panny G2 versus the Pentax K-x (with lenses totally favoring the G2)!

Panasonic G2 vs Pentax K-x

I actually thought about getting a G2 since bodies are so cheap now, but the m43 lens prices are ridiculous given that they are basically better than average consumer zooms. I was shocked by multiple reviews that mentioned the audible rattles that are emitted from the co-branded Leica 45mm Macro's OIS elements.

The lack of a roadmap showing fast future lenses and recent issues in Japan were also off putting. They also blew it with the ergos on the G3 by flattening the grip and removing useful buttons. That would've been fine for the GF3, but not an EVIL dSLR mimic like the G3.
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #658
Veteran Member

And just for kicks, here's how the venerable MX compares to the Canon 1D:

06-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #659
Veteran Member

If 720/30p is acceptable (it certainly is to me), then a 1/2.33" CCD may work out after all:

Image Sensors World: Sony Announces 1.34um Pixel CCD, Industry's First Digital Output CCD

With Panasonic reportedly going into production at the end of the year with another allegedly-improved sensor of this kind, travel zooms may start producing decent images.

But we won't know beans until we see production copies of the cams ....
06-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #660
Pentaxian

Latest rumour:

Pentax Q, expected to be announced in August 2011. Those are the specs:

- 12MP backlit sensor
- HD movie recording (720p)
- RAW capabilities
- Available in two colours: black and white
- Very small and compact in size
- Price around €700
- Several lenses will be announced including a fish-eye lens

Source: PhotoRumors Pentax Q interchangeable lens camera will be announced in August

Nil novi sub sole except for the lenses. The "Q" name, replacing the "NC-1" project / code name, has been floating around for a while.

Last edited by Mistral75; 06-03-2011 at 01:09 AM.