06-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #781
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep not a straight Eos RT of course.
I see we basicaly agree

06-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #782
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was at a concert last night, second row from front, and I really wished I had a good small camera with high ISO. Can't wait for these new mirrorless cameras to come out with small compact lenses.
06-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #783
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I was at a concert last night, second row from front, and I really wished I had a good small camera with high ISO. Can't wait for these new mirrorless cameras to come out with small compact lenses.
I agree. I nearly bought an Olympus XZ-1 a while ago, but I've decided to wait to see what Pentax is cooking up.
06-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't get it. Why should Pentax join in on a rat race?? I wish they would come out with something that go squarely against M9 if you know what I mean.

06-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #785
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I don't get it. Why should Pentax join in on a rat race?? I wish they would come out with something that go squarely against M9 if you know what I mean.
never happen unfortunately - Pentax was never in the RF game and in large part were responsible for it's decline (and it's an insanely small market segment currently at the pricing). the only one i see going up against M9 in any way would be Cosina if they decide to do another digital project (with someone else as a partner in all likelihood)
06-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #786
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Funny you should say that. A friend of mine (long-time photographer) just told me this weekend that he sold his M9 and lenses because, frankly, rangefinder focusing was getting to be too much of an issue for his middle-aged eyes. In its place he has purchased a Pentax 645D and a Fuji X100. He says the 645 body costs more than the M9 body... but he'll save money on Pentax lenses which, as we all know, are no slouch either.

I think Pentax should serve the markets in which there are serious enthusiasts and pros: MF, APS-C DSLRs and mirrorless. Perhaps the consumer point and shoots make money for them. But, from where I sit, the P&S market will soon be ravaged by better phone cameras. This is the market Pentax can drop, IMHO.
06-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #787
Veteran Member

FWIW, in less than a year Panasonic has introduced 4 new mirrorless cameras - GH2, GF2, G3, GF3.

You can also look at it this way - Panasonic has introduced 2 new mirrorless cameras - G3, GF3 - since the start of this thread.

Coming from the Pentax world, that pace of product turnover is frankly startling, and it says a lot about Panasonic's commitment to the M43 standard. If Pentax is making a move into mirrorless, they'd better move soon...

06-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #788
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
FWIW, in less than a year Panasonic has introduced 4 new mirrorless cameras - GH2, GF2, G3, GF3.

You can also look at it this way - Panasonic has introduced 2 new mirrorless cameras - G3, GF3 - since the start of this thread.

Coming from the Pentax world, that pace of product turnover is frankly startling, and it says a lot about Panasonic's commitment to the M43 standard. If Pentax is making a move into mirrorless, they'd better move soon...
it's too bad that they can't do the same with the lenses. I mean, what's the use of having 4 camera bodies if you don't have a lens to use on them?
06-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #789
Veteran Member

Panasonic turns over product in almost all categories rapidly, at minimum once yearly for any product (doesn't always mean there is anything much different about them) For the Big CE guys this is the norm not the exception in my experience, CE has a very different product culture to the photo guys (personally i don't need to dsee new bodies every 6 months or 15 variations on a theme like the canon world. when there is an improvement to be made release a new model. freshen up it's look occasionally, With the advent of the K5 in the DSLR category there is less and less reason for rapid model turnover ( not like there is a need for better high iso, but the focus issue and flash issues will drive the next gen i think - possibly with higher resolution - which means diffraction will kick in at even wider open f stops
06-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #790
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's too bad that they can't do the same with the lenses. I mean, what's the use of having 4 camera bodies if you don't have a lens to use on them?
They introduced 5 new lenses last year and 4 the year before. And they've just anounced a Leica-branded 25 F1.4.

Overall, their lens lineup skews towards variable-aperture consumer zooms, but you can a body + lenses that cover 28-600 (EQ) in a very small package.

06-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #791
juu
Veteran Member

Overall, their lens lineup skews towards variable-aperture consumer zooms, but you can a body + lenses that cover 14-600 (EQ) in a very small package.
Fixed your post.
06-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #792
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
Fixed your post.
True, the 7-14 isn't pictured. Thx.
06-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #793
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

06-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #794
Veteran Member

They introduced 5 new lenses last year and 4 the year before. And they've just anounced a Leica-branded 25 F1.4.

Overall, their lens lineup skews towards variable-aperture consumer zooms, but you can a body + lenses that cover 28-600 (EQ) in a very small package.

that's my issue with the m4/3 as of the moment. they mostly offer variable consumer zooms. I just hope they produce more faster or constant aperture and wider lenses inorder to complement the sensor size of the m4/3. aside from that, an improvement on the sensor is a must. with regards to focal length coverage, they are pretty much ok I guess. the fast 25 seems to answer the need but it would somehow most likely operate like a 50/2 lens at best. maybe the Nokton 25 is better, except that it's not AF. so I guess one dilemma of the m4/3 is the DOF control.
06-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #795
Veteran Member

I always laugh when I read m4/3's users complain that Panny/Olympus isn't producing lenses fast enough. Soon they'll also have a high grade 12mm f/2 from Olympus. The only real missing links are a portrait prime and a fast zoom. In the case of portrait lenses that duty is easily covered by adapting 50mm manual primes (I use my Pentax SMC-A 50mm/1.4). Plus, Olympus is supposedly on the verge of releasing an auto focus 50mm anyway.

I'm really excited to see the Pentax APS-C body as well as the Sony NEX-7, but either is going to have a very difficult time getting my business away from m4/3's. m4/3's is currently the only mirrorless system that is even close to being complete. Even if Pentax and Sony can manage to release 5 lenses per year it will still be two or three years down the road before they can compete with m4/3's from a versatility standpoint. That said, APS-C is better for adapting lenses, so if you don't mind manual focus a high end Pentax APS-C camera could be a very nice body to have even if they don't have a lot of native glass for it.